Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Christmas "lights"

On 15 Nov 2017 at 6:16pm Theresa's Philip wrote:
Why are our Festive lights so crap? Worst for miles around, shameful. Try visiting towns like Rye
On 15 Nov 2017 at 7:10pm Joseph wrote:
They are crap aren't they?!? No sense of display or celebration of Christmas whatsoever! Why are they so pitiful?
On 15 Nov 2017 at 8:05pm 3 wise men wrote:
and 3 councils - whatdya expect ? LOL
On 15 Nov 2017 at 8:43pm Iluminating wrote:
Would not get the bonfire lot yo do the lights? Seem the be the only ones who can get anything done round here.
On 15 Nov 2017 at 9:08pm mummy bear wrote:
Who pays for the lights?
On 15 Nov 2017 at 10:47pm Bert wrote:
We do mummybear !! Look on your council tax bill - three councils all taking dibs !! Christmas lights ?? They don't even cut the grass !!
On 15 Nov 2017 at 10:48pm Mary wrote:
Mummy Bear is that a rhetorical question?
Surely you know?
Just in case you don't then the answer is YOU! And me. And all the other council tax paying residents of this overly congested Lewes!
On 16 Nov 2017 at 12:11am Earl of Lewess wrote:
Ah...the annual ritual of moaning about the Christmas lights. It's a bit early this year - people normally wait until the late shopping evening.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 6:48am I知 paying wrote:
If I知 paying then I知 quite happy with the current arrangements thanks. If I知 asked to pay extra council tax for care services or policing then I値l think about it but I知 not paying to put some shiny lights up for a couple of weeks.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 7:13am Local wrote:
By making the the word light Plural you give the impression that there are many Christmas Lights in Lewes, when In fact there are few.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 8:32am Earl of Lewess wrote:
I'm baffled by all these grown adults who are still excited by Christmas and care about something as trivial as the lights. But I'm probably jaded from years of working in a shop, where we were subjected to 10 weeks of carols. 10 weeks!
On 16 Nov 2017 at 8:49am offended? wrote:
Are the Christmas lights of Lewes not offensive to some religion,culture,colour,cult,gender,political party,minority group or some section of society?
On 16 Nov 2017 at 10:11am dozy wrote:
Lights went up on 25 May. Quite a display.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 10:20am Iluminati wrote:
They should put up some black lights so everyone is represented and not offended.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 10:22am Mr sensitive wrote:
I知 offended by it all. All religion, football clubs, trees, dogs, you name it, I知 offended.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 3:16pm Scrooge wrote:
Council shouldn't put up any lights. Why should taxpayers' money fund a celebration of American consumerism? It's not even December yet.
On 16 Nov 2017 at 3:27pm Bob Scratchit wrote:
If the sad and dismal display of crimble lights wasn't bad enough, I've heard that the powers that be can't even afford to close the road for late night shopping this year. Such a shame.

On 16 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm Huh? wrote:
@scrooge - Christmas isn't American. And fairy lights are not a celebration of any kind of consumerism. You may feel, fairly, that Christmas has become a time that's too focused on consumerism, but that has little to do with lights and much more to do with aggressive marketing and mass production. I think it's nice to cheer the place up, put up some lights and adopt a spirit of good cheer and good will. Just direct your anger in the right place. And don't be a scrooge, life is too short to be such a misery (as indeed Scrooge famously found out himself)

On 25 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm Pet wrote:
I'm sure the "Christmas lights" are "funded" by the Lewes Chamber of Commerce, just like every other town.
But I guess they have spent all their funds on another fat-cat banquet for the top their members, again!

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Potting Shed Lewes 122:132
The Potting Shed Lewes

The repeated attempts to dismiss the covid-19 pandemic as just another flu outbreak ignores a key difference. Flu victims feel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa