Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Carnival

On 11 Jun 2008 at 11:40am Smiler wrote:
Preparatory work for the Living Cliffe scheme began last week; when Southern Water arrived on site to replace a large cast iron water main that runs the length of Cliffe High Street.

East Sussex Highways are managing the road closure and have taken the opportunity to improve the drainage in advance of the schemes construction. During this work, East Sussex Highways unearthed the first of five Victorian-era land drainage culverts (drainage tunnels) that pass underneath Cliffe High Street, and Southern Water have discovered a large disused gas pipe which is thought to date to back to the 1930s.

The County Council were aware of the culverts but did not know their exact depth until they were uncovered.

These discoveries mean that Saturdays Lewes Carnival procession will be re-routed via the Phoenix Causeway. We had intended to make Cliffe High Street accessible for the carnival but it is not possible to fill in the holes to a standard safe for lorries and floats.

On 11 Jun 2008 at 3:13pm M. Elliott wrote:
That'l upset the 8 strong crowd. Still, they can make up for it by swerving the funfair so it can sit empty as usual.

On 12 Jun 2008 at 8:37am Doom Merchant wrote:
Smiler, you copied that from the BBC website....plagerism is a serious offence and carries the death penalty...
Re: The Carnival: I shall look forward, in the next few days, to a bunch of drunks (chavs) staggering passed my house in the small hours on their way back to The Meadows....aah the joys of living on a council estate

On 13 Jun 2008 at 3:56pm dats wrote:
Does anyone know for certain the timings of this thing? Sussex Express don't even have the right date, so I can hardly rely on them. Viva has different times to the road closures, or so I thought - and the actual carnival website is a veritable mash up of clip art and precious little detail...

On 13 Jun 2008 at 7:17pm Chav wrote:
Just look out for a few of my mates in old transit recovery trucks covered in crepe paper with a few kids on the back looking gormless. If they can get the horns to work, you'll hear when its on.

On 13 Jun 2008 at 7:45pm Liza Avon wrote:
Dats is right: there are different times on everything. 10.30? 12.30? Who knows? The carnival website wins the prize for least informative website of the month.

On 14 Jun 2008 at 5:42am FA wrote:
Those taking part in the carnival have to be at County hall by 10.30. Competition judging is at 11.30 and the procession starts at 12.30 from county hall.
That's all i can tell you i'm afraid.

On 14 Jun 2008 at 8:56am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The procession is due to get to Malling Brook by 13:45 - I suspect that it will hit the Town Hall about 13:00hrs.

On 14 Jun 2008 at 9:38am Lord Landport wrote:
Just to let you know last year they got to Malling Early as they seemed to fly through the town think it took 20 mins from start to finish might be wrong but thats what I was told.

On 14 Jun 2008 at 9:57am FA wrote:
They were probably too frightened that they would get a parking ticket if they were stationary for too long.

On 14 Jun 2008 at 10:25am dats wrote:
That's great - thanks v much guys :-)

On 15 Jun 2008 at 6:34pm Lord Flashheart wrote:
Did I miss something? I saw no carnival queen - mind you all the babes in this town could be queen for a day in my company.
Woof woof!

On 16 Jun 2008 at 11:16am bored silly by carnival wrote:
I think I counted a huge crowd of about 30 people last year. Honestly, why bother? he Patina moving on parade is larger, more colourful and better organised! And who has time for carnival when there's a bonfire to prepare for???

On 16 Jun 2008 at 12:48pm FA wrote:
I was very disappointed with the amount of floats. Those that made the effort done very well but where was a float from Bills, Sussex Express, Chandlers, Covers, Lewes football club, any of the pubs and restaurants in the town and despite a pathetic show from both Cliffe and Waterloo....why weren't our bonfire societies represented ? There was only one school too, no leisure centre or LDC representitive either.
Pathetic

On 16 Jun 2008 at 3:26pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
FA, how could you, as a bonfire fan, say that the Cliffe float was pathetic? This is only the third year of the Carnival, and it takes time for these things to become established, although I agree, we need to get more floats out on the street. I had a really nice day, and whats more it was free (unless you had a go on the sidestalls.) Roll on next year, I think it is great, and promotes great community spirit.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 3:42pm FA wrote:
The Cliffe float was pathetic. Out of god knows how many thousands of members, there was a dozen or less from Cliffe and a tiny little flat-back transit as a float. Waterloo didn't even have a float but at least they took part.
Agreed...good day was had by all but it was a little disappointing that some of the local "mr Lewes" type busniness didn't take part (Bill's, Some of the pubs, Spice merchants etc).
Did you see Tracy doing the pole dancing CB ?...she was superb.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 3:51pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
The Cliffe float was made by the children of the Cliffe, assisted by their parents. There aren't many kids in the society but it is a way of getting them involved. I believe they were all very proud, and they won best float. Were you one of the naked hunks on the pole dancing float FA??

On 16 Jun 2008 at 4:00pm FA wrote:
Only you and me will know that me dear !!!!!
Anyway CB....if this "Lewes community spirit" is so important to you, why don't you live in Lewes ?!?!?!

On 16 Jun 2008 at 4:28pm UEFA wrote:
FA, you cant help being ignorant. The Carnival was not a bonfire event, that is why there was not thousands of bonfire members in the procession. Waterloo had a few members in costume but then they dont know the meaning of bonfire anyway. The 'pathetic' float that you refer to was, you may have noticed, full of children as it was a childrens entry into the carnival. The adults with them were their parents. I bet they will be really chuffed, after winning first prize, to hear your pathetic whining. What did you do to contribute ? What do you ever do to contribute to anything, nothing I suspect other than post your spite (or something sounding similar) on this forum.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 5:17pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
FA-I don't like the people.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 6:06pm FA wrote:
There wasn't exactly much competition was there UEFA ??? I know the carnival isn't a bonfire event but as the major bonfire societies keep bleeting on about "how very Lewes" they all are, i thought they would've been a bit better represented.
By slagging off a fellow bonfire society (not that i care for any of them), you have just proven what a bunch of cocks you really are.
As for what i did....well i don't work in Lewes i'm afraid so can't represent any business, but my daughter was in the ONLY Lewes school represented and i helped her with her costume and helped on the day too....so shove that in your pipe and smoke it.
As for you cliffebimbo....you're going right over my knee when i see you next....now get your old man to give me a bell....pwetty pwease

On 16 Jun 2008 at 9:46pm Tigerlilly wrote:
Can i just say to the last post: you have children?!!! you had a child in the carnival?? and you put down the hard work of other groups, children and individuals who made floats as pathetic?? oooh, competitive parent, aren't you! small willy too I expect. WELL DONE to all who contributed. ALL the kids and floats deserved praise. And if Cliffe won, well done. I hope your school enters again next year, and good luck to them too.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 4:53am FA wrote:
Thank you for asking but yes...i'm afraid i have a small willy....small but perfectly formed.
As for the rest of the drivel you posted....try reading the whole thread...i bet you're a woman aren't you ???

On 17 Jun 2008 at 5:28am walter wrote:
Size doesn't matter does it FA? Apparently the size of the carnival does though.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 1:18pm UEFA wrote:
OK, FA, so maybe you did contribute something, but that school float was utter rubbish - especially the costumes. See, its not nice when someone slags off your kids is it, and I dont actually mean it so I apologise to the kids and take back that remark. Funny when the boot is on the other foot though isnt it, I suppose you would have been on here effing and blinding by now if someone had really slagged off your daughters school float wouldnt you ?, but somehow its OK for you to do it. Also, you ask any proper bonfire person about the differences between bonfire and carnival. Then you will understand my remark about Waterloo. The Cliffe and other societies did not enter a procession into the carnival because it was not bonfire, yet Waterloo did (or tried to). Work it out for yourself. By the way, the Cliffe childrens float was not on a flat back transit transit either. Oh and by the way, well done on working out that someone called Tigerlily was a woman. What mighty powers of deduction you must have.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 1:20pm A Wallpaperer wrote:
Actually, I think size does matter

On 17 Jun 2008 at 1:39pm FA wrote:
The kids from the school didn't have a float...they walked. Where you there ?...of course not !!!.
As for their costumes...they were crap so yes, it's friggin hilarious when the boot's on the other foot.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 1:41pm FA wrote:
You are correct sir...of course size matters....just a shame i was at the back of the queue when they were handing out willies (allegedly !!!)

On 17 Jun 2008 at 2:07pm UEFA wrote:
So I see I have touched a nerve. Anyway, Yes, I was there as it happens, but clearly your daughters school did not make it obvious who they were. And yes I gave up some of my time too so get your pathetic a*se down of your soap box for once.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 2:08pm A Wallpaperer wrote:
Not the only queue you were at the back of was it ? There were some you never even joined I would guess.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 3:29pm FA wrote:
No soap box from me...no nerve touched....i just lurve winding people up until they start swearing....Bwahahahahah

On 17 Jun 2008 at 3:31pm FA wrote:
Indeed...looks and personality had closed and gone home when i turned up....then the fashion police had me arrested.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 5:29pm UEFA wrote:
Oh please stop winding me up FA, there is only so much I can take ! How can I possibly retort to someone as intelligent and witty as you ? And for the record I wasnt the first to resort to swearing. Idiot.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 5:47pm anon wrote:
FA you cant have been that observant as there was more than one school there, infact they came third, with their float, and although it was a nursery school its still a school. They have been in all three so far, and winning the first two as best float, they all made an effort and as you are aware, work has to go into these things, but if the kids had a good day, thats all that matters, they enjoyed it, which is more important than you moaning that there wasnt enough to see. The one thing that strikes me about lewes is that they seem to be a town of whingers and moaners, especially on this site. And as someone said further up the thread, it takes time to get going again, perhaps instead of moaning on here, you should join the rotary club and put all your energy into promoting the carnival, seeing as you are so passionate about it!!

On 17 Jun 2008 at 6:05pm FA wrote:
Aw fanks

On 17 Jun 2008 at 6:10pm FA wrote:
I never mentioned any of the other floats except the one from Cliffe....FFS read the thread.
By the way...the nursery came JOINT third with our school, It was superb.
The event was for charity....there were 3 charities i do believe, Victoria hospital (where was their float ?), "The castle" (and theirs ?) and the 3rd escapes me. Surely by getting more people involved in the procession...more local business's etc, the fund raising would be better.

On 18 Jun 2008 at 9:18am UEFA wrote:
Yawn

On 18 Jun 2008 at 11:31am FA wrote:
I've got a strong feeling that you really fancy me UEFA...go on, admit it !!!

On 18 Jun 2008 at 11:46am zola wrote:
What does UEFA stand for...Am I missing something?

On 18 Jun 2008 at 11:52am FA wrote:
Uncontrolable Enormous Fat Arse !!!!!!!!!!!

On 18 Jun 2008 at 1:25pm FIFA wrote:
Nice one FA, what a master of wit and repartee you are. As to whether I fancy you, think what you like, but I really thought that you preferred men. In reply to Zola meanwhile, UEFA is like the FA, only bigger and more important.

On 18 Jun 2008 at 3:17pm FA wrote:
Oh....i thought you were a man UEFA/FIFA....you must be a very butch bird then !!!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Arch Bishop burning 4:132
Arch Bishop burning

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington