Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Bonfire Exhibition?

On 18 Jun 2016 at 8:19am Mr Bean wrote:
Like it or not, Lewes has a rich heritage of "Bonfire" which has got me thinking: Has there ever been a "Bonfire Exhibition"?
Presumably all the societies (and other agencies) have archives/costumes etc which would make an interesting and colourful exhibiton. Having it out "out of season" in a location like the Town Hall could be an attraction to residents and non residents alike. Proceeds from a modest entry fee could go to an agreed charity, publicise and possibly bring revenue to the societies as well.
just a thought and apologies if it has been already tried!
On 18 Jun 2016 at 8:30am Claire wrote:
Good idea but it would involve Cliffe cooperating with other societies which they'd struggle with.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 9:27am Mr Bean wrote:
That's a pity.....I was thinking that there could be a "General" section and then each society could have an allocated area to promote their own bits.
Perhaps wishful thinking on my part then.....
On 18 Jun 2016 at 9:50am Castle Gate wrote:
What about the argument that the very best exhibition for Bonfire is Bonfire itself coupled with joining a society to learn the traditions and history, and to regularly play one's part? Other than that, much Bonfire-related material can be seen on permanent exhibition at each society's headquarters pub (and St Mary's Social Club). For example, there is the time-honoured banner upstairs in the Elly, among many other items in Lewes.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 12:34pm PMT wrote:
Remember the Gunpowder Plot restaurant? I remember thinking at the time that it was good to see something bonfire themed in the town. Great to see it in the HQ pubs too. We've got a lot of heritage in the town, including bonfire, and it's good to make the most of it.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 2:33pm Flaming torch wrote:
But most forum readers hate bonfire and the crowds it brings why advertise it more , we don't want DF- anywhere
Most societies get their archives out for the lads periodically
On 18 Jun 2016 at 2:41pm Flaming Nora wrote:
I got my chest out for the lads once - Fletching, c1974.
On 19 Jun 2016 at 9:41am Guy wrote:
I like the idea. There should be a permanent museum dedicated to the subject. Because that's where it all belongs. In the past.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

Remembering about the St.Marys social centre business, I think a lot happens on the quiet. I saw the notice out side and thought:... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington