Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes

On 1 Oct 2017 at 7:40pm Tina wrote:
I think Lewes is a lovely town to bring up kids but if you want good food, great atmosphere and amazing people, Brighton is just 10 minutes away, yay! So let's not get too happy happy about Lewes, can be extremely boring at times.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 7:52pm Not so much boring as... wrote:
frustrating. An ancient town trying to cope with the 21st. Century
On 1 Oct 2017 at 7:53pm Ex Lewes resident wrote:
Totally agree. Brought our children up in Lewes but all now live in different parts of Brighton. Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Lewes will always have a place in our hearts but we just out grew it. Just a bit boring.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 8:03pm Deja Vu wrote:
Personally I couldn't disagree more, Brighton is an excellent place to grow up in, but when you're bored of the parties (mid 20's with luck) it's nice to move out to somewhere like Lewes. Brighton is still there if I want it, but I rarely do...
On 1 Oct 2017 at 8:32pm Start wrote:
You start off in Brighton do all the parties clubs and drugs, then when you grow up you move out to Lewes or similar. It's the natural order of things.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 8:41pm Benny wrote:
Brighton was great when I was young. Not much that interests me there now. I like some of the pubs but itís too much hassle to go too often. Not sure itís great to bing up kids there though - much safer in Lewes I think. Brighton is better 18-30.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 8:54pm Ex Lewes resident wrote:
My parents moved to Lewes which is where I grew up in the 70s but spent my social life in Brighton not doing drugs but enjoying the vibrant nightlife. Ok there has always been a darker side to Brighton since Regency times but it doesn't mean to say you have to be a part of it. I'm now nearly 60 and would rather be a part of the diversity and fun of Brighton. Sadly drugs is also a big part of Lewes.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 9:02pm Surelyatroll wrote:
Confused....
Tina's grammatically-appalling diatribe is surely a trolling/fishing expedition, is it not?? Yet it has seemingly drawn a raft of reasonable posts, where one would normally expect vitriol!
Where are the Forum's purveyors of righteous indignation?
On 1 Oct 2017 at 9:03pm @Ex Lewes wrote:
indeed...anywhere with a pub!
On 1 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm Dexter wrote:
I don't think we should be so precious by comparing either town to each other & any way, they partially are what they are because of their vicinity to each other. We should celebrate how lucky we are to live with two great towns. Compare them to say Hastings (up & coming) & Battle, Eastbourne & Hailsham, Littlehampton & Arundel, anywhere in Kent or further afield, Southampton & the utterly utterly dull Winchester.
Let's celebrate how good we have it here rather than trading trite infantile digs.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 9:54pm Lewes thanks wrote:
Brighton is full of weirdos and students...no thanks.
On 1 Oct 2017 at 10:36pm Clifford wrote:
Brighton is Croydon-on-Sea. When I hear the word 'vibrant' I hear marketing talk from charlatans.
On 2 Oct 2017 at 6:58am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Having grown up in Croydon, and still going back occasionally to visit family, I have to say that Brighton is heaven on earth compared to the Grimsville that is Croydon.
And I'm not that keen on Brighton: noisy, dirty, smelly and crowded imo. But its branch of Waterstones is infinitely superior to the Lewes one. The staff aren't rude and you don't have to squirm between tables of coffee drinkers to get to the books.
On 2 Oct 2017 at 7:37am Observer I'd better wrote:
I'd better go back to croydon. I must have missed the bit that is like NorthLaine. all the great restaurants and pubs too. Perhaps I've also missed croydon's extensive regency architecture?
On 2 Oct 2017 at 11:00am DFL (sorry) wrote:
Brighton is a fantastic place, and it's got better recently with a load of really good new restaurants opening up. I disagree that it's just for younger people: there's plenty of grown-up stuff around too. I can't think of anywhere else in the UK with as high a concentration of independent shops as the North Laine and I love the buildings in the Regency area and Kemp Town. In fact one of the few other places I'd love to live in Sussex would be the Montpelier area. However while it has a huge middle class there is a pretty nasty underbelly too - a severe drug and homeless problem, endemic poverty and worklessness in areas such as Whitehawk where a lot of Brightonians actually live, too many stag dos (although thankfully confined to a small strip from the station to West St) and loads of qualified young people and not enough jobs. Plus there is West St / Churchill Square / North Street, nothing like most of Brighton but where a lot of visitors actually see.
I disagree that Lewes is boring though. I can't think of another small town with so much going on: loads of great pubs, so many gigs, festivals and other events (decent bands in pubs, stuff like the Chill festival, Speakers' festival, comedy etc.) and that's before we get to bonfire, octoberfeast, etc. etc. Not much after midnight, I'll grant you, particularly since zu and all that lot closed their doors.
Not that it matters. I've lived in Manchester, London, Glasgow and Bristol, and despite living "in" all those cities it took me longer to get to the cetnre from my home than it does to get from Lewes to Brighton.
On 2 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm Croydoniscool wrote:
Oh come on! I mean?! Just think of that wonder that is the Threpenny-bit Tower.....
Personally I think Brighton should demolish that piece of faux-oriental tat that is the pavilion & recreate said Tower (Las Vegas stylee) in its place. That would dbebefit all of us who daren't face Southern Rail & a day-return to East Croydon (Super-off-peak, available between 1132 & 1137 only)!!

On 15 May 2018 at 10:10pm Niclas wrote:
Your moaning about lewe s and Brighton u could be living in syria

On 15 May 2018 at 10:36pm Nick wrote:
The pavilion is brighton, little London by the sea,there is 3.2 billion being spent on Brighton on shops and affordable housing.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Snowdrop Stairs 105:132
Snowdrop Stairs

It certainly is but a much higher %age will die due to other sections of the NHS being underfunded because of the cost. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy