Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Leave posters

9
14
On 1 Jun 2016 at 7:50am Tracy wrote:
Huge Leave billboards, identical in shape, format and location of previous Tory campaigns now litter the roadsides and fields from Lewes to Hartfield. As these large and unsightly posters need landowners' permission it shows that those funding and supporting Brexit may not share the interests of the working men and women.
19
9
On 1 Jun 2016 at 8:10am Earl of Lewes wrote:
It's a great pity that the Tory right have taken over the Leave campaign. Their publicity material is full of dubious, simplistic claims about saving millions of pounds and entering some new golden age of free trade. The truth is nobody knows what would happen and all figures from.both sides should be taken with a pinch of salt. I am voting Leave in spite of the hopeless propaganda pumped out by the Leave campaign, because I believe that the EU promotes the interests of corporations over individuals - it was the recent episode in Greece that showed the EU's true colours. But the leftwing arguments have been drowned out by the noise of free trade and a set of dodgy figures. A great pity.
15
14
On 1 Jun 2016 at 10:03am Border Control wrote:
One thing we do know for sure if we leave is that the people we elect every four years will be making the legislation that effects us, rather than unelected bureaucrats dictating to us what we must and must not do.. This way if we don't agree or like the way things are going we are able to elect another government. End of !
9
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 11:30am Mavis wrote:
We also know that Politicians and probably Councillors too are like dirty nappies, and should be changed frequently, for the same reason !
5
4
On 1 Jun 2016 at 11:40am just for the record wrote:
great post Earl of Lewes. First bit of nuanced sense in a long while.
15
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 1:18pm Labour leaver wrote:
to Earl,
I too am rather annoyed at the over focus on the Tory led campaign but I have been following the excellent Labour Leave campaign which have some excellent arguments against the corporate EU also worth checking out is Trade unionists against EU. Link below.
It comes as polls show a swing back towards leave and interestingly one showing 40% of Labour voters planning to vote leave also so while the media may try and portray it as a tory infighting saga, it is a genuinely cross party issue.

Check it out here »
6
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm Clifford wrote:
A very good post Earl of Lewes.
5
6
On 1 Jun 2016 at 2:56pm Observer wrote:
" the EU promotes the interests of corporations over individuals - it was the recent episode in Greece that showed the EU's true colours"
If you think the EU promotes the interests of corporations over individuals, I do wonder what you will make of the brave new world brought in the ultra-free market, libertarian Tory party that will be in power after a Brexit. Good job we've got a strong, electable Labour party to make sure they will be out of power soon afterwards.... oh.
4
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm Roger Titaker wrote:
Leavin' leavin' etc.
10
9
On 1 Jun 2016 at 5:02pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
While the EU undoubtedly supports corporate interests, it also ensures that the rights of workers are enshrined in law in the UK.
Priti Patel has already said that Brexit would enable the government to abandon the restriction on working hours and do away with the TUPE regulations, which protect workers' jobs when a firm loses contracts to another firm. Then there's all that tiresome discrimination legislation, which she seems to regard as little more than "red tape".
That's the main reason why I'll be voting to stay in, despite my reservations about the EU. I think for most people, it's better than the alternative.
6
10
On 1 Jun 2016 at 7:24pm Phfellow2004 wrote:
I have sent off my Postal Vote today and voted to Remain.
5
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
@Observer and Anna below - I take your points, but you mustn't assume that we're permanently stuck with a right wing government. Labour will reform itself, as all unelectable parties do. Priti Patel is awful (and quite thick as well, by the look of it), but she won't be around forever. The way we vote has to be based on long term considerations and principles, not what we think of the political scene in 2016. Whichever way we vote, let's be sure we're doing it for the right reasons and not fall into the trap of black and white thinking.
11
5
On 1 Jun 2016 at 8:53pm supporter wrote:
postal vote sent leave.
6
3
On 1 Jun 2016 at 9:31pm leave wrote:
What have these europhiles given us in the last 40 years of membership? Globalisation, stagnating wages, mass immigration, multiculturalism, a succession of bloody wars, rocketing house prices, unaffordable rents, more debt than we can ever hope to repay, a major recession caused by the very banks and corporations that are now funding the remain campaign that wouldn't be around if they were not propped up by the taxpayer, meanwhile our heavy industries and their communities have been systemically destroyed and not given the same support and then to top it all they now seek to give away for good our one democratic option to get rid of them.
Time for a new path and trajectory.
10
5
On 1 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm Fred2016 wrote:
Vote posted to leave, we owe it to future of a free UK. We must take control now before it's too late.
4
2
On 2 Jun 2016 at 9:46am Observer wrote:
Leave - absolutely nothing in that list is anything to do with the European Union. Absolutely everything is due to the decisions of the Westminster government.
Globalisation - the UK is the most flexible and open economy in the world, more so than the rest of hte EU.
Stagnating wages - see above.
Mass immigration - most immigration is non-EU. The UK government decided not to apply the work restrictions post the entry of Poland etc. unlike France & Germany.
Multiculturalism - not sure this is a negative but see above.
Succession of bloody wars - All to do with the decisions of Blair et al. Nothing to do with the EU.
Rocketing house prices - due to the lack of new housing produced by a very restrictive planning system, and an overly liberal mortgage market. Other EU countries have not seen the same boom in prices.
REnts - see above.
MOre debt - again, nothing to do with the EU. MOre to do with the financial liberalisations brought about by Thatcher.
Recession - see above. And Blair.
What is your point again?
"I take your points, but you mustn't assume that we're permanently stuck with a right wing government. Labour will reform itself, as all unelectable parties do."
Let's just consider for a second what this country would look like now if the Tories had won in 1997 and had carried on winning.
2
1
On 2 Jun 2016 at 2:59pm A Person wrote:
Exactly, Observer. Pretty well every complaint levelled at the EU is actually directly and unequivocally the fault of our own government. It isn't all going to magically improve by leaving; quite the opposite.
2
5
On 2 Jun 2016 at 3:25pm . wrote:
you're both to thick to see those problems all stem from EU supporting governments adopting their policies.
3
2
On 3 Jun 2016 at 2:39am wrote:
So... now we're saying all those problems that UK has had, and EU hasn't, is because our politicians adopted the EU's policies i.e., the policies that didn't get the EU into those pickles.
In other words, we had a different result because we followed the same policies as them, and if we had only followed a different path to them, we would have had the same results as them.
Well done, you've just racked up the level of 'opposite day' logical analysis another notch.


18 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina