Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Le magasin

On 25 Apr 2013 at 7:18am Angry neighbour wrote:
Just been woken up at 6.40am by hammering and banging coming from le magasin.... Thank you for that!!! I have never know such inconsiderate people, they make so much noise with loud music, banging and crashing and they leave dirty plates and dog poo on their flat roof out the back for days..... That'll be lovely in the summer!!!!! Sorry rant over.
On 25 Apr 2013 at 7:54am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Maybe you should have a word with them - or even with environmental health, who deal with both noise nuisance and dog poo!
On 25 Apr 2013 at 8:08am wrote:
Yeah maybe, I guess they're young and just don't think about anyone but themselves
On 25 Apr 2013 at 9:04am jrsussex wrote:
Unreasonable levels of noise at unreasonable hours is a matter for the environmental health department. Give them a ring.
On 25 Apr 2013 at 9:49am Mcreadie wrote:
Oh....!!! another person jealous of somebody else's success, why do you choose to live in the middle of town and next to a cafe that opens early if you don't like noise ??

On 25 Apr 2013 at 11:10am Blip wrote:
Perhaps they were already living there before the cafe opened. Why should they have the inconvenience and expense of moving just because other people who arrive later are inconsiderate? I lived in the Cliffe for many years and enjoyed my time there. Why did I move? The parking problem, of course!
On 25 Apr 2013 at 1:20pm Mcreadie wrote:
Oh come on blip ! There has always been a shop there ! ...ok so maybe not a cafe but a newsagents for years who had 6am deliveries of milk and papers, not to mention the Friday-ad delivery of sometimes 4/5am !
Maybe the banging was just a one off ? The owners are very approachable people. I think maybe you should talk to them and tell them your problems rather than giving them a bad name on the lewes forum.
On 25 Apr 2013 at 1:47pm Le Magasin wrote:
Hello All,
Firstly, Belinda, I have messaged you on Facebook following your post on our Facebook page regarding noise. The message suggested you come and speak to us in person before you write comments like this on the internet.
This morning some building work went on in the café which meant some banging would have been heard just before 7am. Of course usually we would have the courtesy to come and warn neighbors of the noise, however we only found out late last night. At a unreasonable hour to come knocking on doors to warn people of noise in the morning. Of course we do apologise for the noise this morning, and we apologise if anything we are doing or have done has upset anyone at any time. That is certainly never our intention.
In terms of music being played, we only play music during cafe opening hours which have currently been extended from 6pm closing time to 11pm. A noise management plan was sent to LDC and EH which was then accepted along with the planning permission.
As Mcreadie mentioned we are reasonable, approachable people who would have been more than happy to discuss this in person - and then take necessary steps to ensure we don't cause any more problems. We are not inconsiderate people and do not wish to upset anyone at any time.
Belinda, in future please come and talk to one of the three owners who live next door and are always happy to discuss these matters in person, like adults. Also, where possible could we please keep issues which are personal (regarding our flat and us as people/neighbors) separate from issues which concern Le Magasin as a business.
Thank you for those of you being understanding. If you would like to discuss any of the matters further in person feel free to come to Le Magasin and ask for Joe. I will be more than happy to speak to you if I am here.
Many thanks,
Le Magasin
On 25 Apr 2013 at 2:16pm diamonddog wrote:
what a good idea moaning about your neighbors on a forum very funny
On 25 Apr 2013 at 2:54pm Clifford wrote:
'In terms of music being played, we only play music during cafe opening hours which have currently been extended from 6pm closing time to 11pm. A noise management plan was sent to LDC and EH which was then accepted along with the planning permission.'

There you are, Angry Neighbour, the noise that annoyed you has been officially approved. Did you have a chance to object before it started?

'Also, where possible could we please keep issues which are personal (regarding our flat and us as people/neighbors) separate from issues which concern Le Magasin as a business.'

Why? Aren't the business and the people who run it the same thing?

On 25 Apr 2013 at 2:56pm wrote:
We don't hear any noise from the cafe but from the flat, it's not the cafe I have a problem with!!!!
On 25 Apr 2013 at 3:00pm wrote:
And not once have you come round and notified your neighbours that work is to be carried out in the cafe or the flat and you've had quite a lot of work done!!!!
On 25 Apr 2013 at 3:05pm diamonddog wrote:
turn it up maybe some thrash metal
On 25 Apr 2013 at 3:08pm Heinz wrote:
Soup and a roll for £6?? Makes Bill's look like the pound shop!
On 25 Apr 2013 at 3:43pm my town wrote:
Come boys and girls live to short .
On 25 Apr 2013 at 3:47pm Dan wrote:
Mummy bought them that place in any case. Who's jealous of a caff?
On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:11pm diamonddog wrote:
sounds like u might be

On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:17pm the axeman wrote:
i deal with my neighbours by flashing my axe to them give it to them straight dont mess about u moaning numpty

On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:20pm diamonddog wrote:
is it a big chopper
On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:26pm the axeman wrote:
it would split you in two my friend

On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:43pm mickyboy wrote:
builders banging at 7am? unless its some sort of serious emergency thats not acceptable, most builders are aware that site activity is not usualy permitted before 8.00am or after 6pm
On 25 Apr 2013 at 4:45pm diamonddog wrote:
builders banging at 7am lucky builders
On 25 Apr 2013 at 5:10pm bastian wrote:
6.40 am iasn't that early, not if you start work at 8am
On 25 Apr 2013 at 5:17pm belladonna wrote:
Le Magasin - you neighbour has two complaints it seems - one about the noise level of the builders and the unsociable hours they start (7am is extraordinarily early - most don't start or are not allowed to start until 8-8.30am), and the second about the mess left on a flat roof - dog poo and dirty plates. Apologising for being inconsiderate is all very well but in a small town like Lewes, you really need to think these things through because they will affect your business, whether its said online or to friends in the pub, these things soon get out.

You only found out late last night about early morning noise ? - well you say 'no' to the builders arriving that early. The mess on your roof offends your neighbour and constitutes a health hazard ? remove it and clean it up. That is what responsible, considerate neighbours do, (regardless of whether they are a business or tenants). It's called thinking.
On 25 Apr 2013 at 5:47pm the s--t warden wrote:
fk sake get a life u lot
On 25 Apr 2013 at 6:05pm diamonddog wrote:
ah dont stop its funny bicker bicker bicker
On 25 Apr 2013 at 7:37pm Ex Customer wrote:
Free speech. If people want to post on here about unreasonable noise and dog poo THEN LET THEM.
On 25 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm Fellow Trader wrote:
Angry neighbour I'm sorry but is this really what the Lewes Forum is for? Whatever happened to talking face to face with each other, hiding behind an anonymous forum post is rather tragic.
It sounds like it was a one off & I'm sure an apology would have been forthcoming should contact have been made in person or do you not possess the power of speech?
Instead you choose to slander a fantastic little independent cafe which has nothing to do with your petty gripe. Frankly you have embarrassed yourself.
Webbo do you not monitor the posts on here?
High street traders have a hard enough time making a living in a town so affected by catastrophic parking provision, extortionate rents & rising business rates.
A bit of protection on here from those with personal agenda would not go amiss

On 25 Apr 2013 at 8:40pm back with a bang wrote:
i have to listen to my neighbours banging and its quite funny its high pitched moaning and groaning
On 25 Apr 2013 at 9:00pm No Hope wrote:
I'll never set foot in that dog sh1t infested dump again after this
On 25 Apr 2013 at 9:08pm Pointless wrote:
See Angry Neighbour this is what happens when you post such drivel on this Forum, proud?
On 26 Apr 2013 at 7:37am Newbie and first time poster wrote:
What goes on in someone's home should have no reflection on their business practice (although if you do have dog poo etc on your roof be a good neighbour and clean it up).
As for the cafe,like all food business they are inspected by environmental health and would not be allowed to operate if unfit to do so.
Yes soup and a roll at £6.50 is a stupid price for what it is but with rents and rates what they are in Lewes it's no surprise....
Please do think twice before slandering businesses, this is people's life's you are playing with and if these businesses did not exists then Lewes would not get the visitors it does and the town would be the one to suffer the consequences!!!
As it states in the intro To thus forum "Lewes the best place to live in Sussex" and it is dispite the vindictiveness that you sometime get from some people on this forum!
On 26 Apr 2013 at 9:40am Local wrote:
There's an extraordinary emphasis here on a few dessicated dog turds lying on a roof. No risk of little people falling in them, no odour I imagine, why the fuss?
My neighbours have all sorts of 'clampetts-style' stuff in their garden; I'd love to look out on a few turds instead!
On 26 Apr 2013 at 9:43am Local wrote:
By the way, last time I looked there are only 'advisory' limits to working hours in Lewes. In London boroughs and elsewhere they are enforcable, hard and fast limits. Is this down to woolly liberal thinking?
On 26 Apr 2013 at 2:54pm Fred wrote:
Are we sure its dog poo?

On 26 Apr 2013 at 6:47pm diamonddog wrote:
oh fred you had to lower the tone!
On 27 Apr 2013 at 10:51am Moo wrote:
At least the turds are in the garden and not on the pavement!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

Hello Lewes Forum, I have an enquiry.
Does anyone know of an enclosed field near Lewes where our delightful but errant 10 month... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa