Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Latest poster

On 12 Sep 2012 at 1:20pm Rookie wrote:
These posters are excellent. Very clever and so catching.
Lewes v Cray Wanderers this Saturday. 3pm @ The Pan. KIDS GO FREE.

Check it out here »

On 12 Sep 2012 at 6:47pm rookfan wrote:
Absolutely brilliant

On 13 Sep 2012 at 9:20am Pete wrote:
Very clever !

On 13 Sep 2012 at 10:35am Gooner wrote:
Pathetic attempt to hype up an even more pathetic football club

On 13 Sep 2012 at 12:52pm Lord Sugar wrote:
And yet another pathetic post by "gooner". Well done all at Lewes. Fc for living within your means. Football how it should be, no segregation, drinking on the terraces, decent food and decent price.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 3:25pm Local wrote:
Good Club. Crap poster.
No mention of time or place. Not even obvious that it's for football to new potential fans.
Don't know whether they've changed printer or whatever, but the posters that I've seen this season have been very poorly designed compared to the past few seasons. Trying to be clever, whilst lacking any real craft, IMHO.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 5:24pm Its at the bottom wrote:
Its at the bottom, dumb ass

On 13 Sep 2012 at 8:38pm Lewes Fan wrote:
There is always someone who will slag things off. What is it with people like you? Do you get a kick out of slating other peoples best efforts?
Great eye catching poster. they are so different to anything any other club has ever tried. It works too. 600+ regularly on a Saturday proves that.
As for Gooner, you toddle off and support your greedy premiership mercenaries.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 9:27pm Local wrote:
Its(sic) at the bottom - There is no mention of football, The Dripping Pan or 3pm kick off on the poster - take a look at it!
Lewes Fan - There's nothing wrong with slating people's best efforts if they're not good enough for the job they're meant to be doing! Sometimes a kick up the ar*e works.
I've done a bit of research and discovered that LFC have indeed changed designers for their posters this summer. The recent posters have been weak creatively, poorly executed and, in the case of the current one, fail to communicate basic information. The crowds to which you refer were partly the result of a different designer's work over past seasons; some truly great work, actually. If you read my post again, you will see that I made the same point originally.
Fine if you're happy with mediocrity, but that doesn't mean everyone should tolerate it.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 9:41pm Lewes fan wrote:
Are you related to the designers of last years posters by any chance?
Mediocrity? Don't make me laugh. Different to last seasons but still excellent work for such a small outfit.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 9:56am Rookie wrote:
I like it. The fact that it is not immediately obvious what it is about can be a good thing. It gets the inquisitive types to read it further rather than just a passing glance.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 10:13am someone else wrote:
I'm with Local on this I'm afraid. From a graphic design point of view, the latest poster's horrific. Nice idea, but really badly executed; it just looks an utter chaotic mess. I appreciate that the club saved a fortune by changing designers, but if the new guys aren't up to the mark, they would be better off sticking to something simple and conventional.

What was nice, last year, was that the club was punching well above its weight on publicity and made the national media as a result, but anyone who knows anything about design would regard the current effort as shoddy and embarrassing.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:16pm Local wrote:
As someone else says, it's not excellent work - against any realistic scale. And the 'size of outfit' should have nothing to do with quality. A one-man-band could cope with the requirements of a club like LFC. (By the way, initial checks suggests that the current company are actually larger than last year's - and no I'm not related to them!)

On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:57pm Another Rooks fan wrote:
I like that each poster is different, and this one has people talking, so that's got to be a good thing. Probably my favourite one so far, but then I'm a film fan and get the Hitchcock/The Birds classic film poster reference. For anyone who doesn't know that Lewes FC are known as The Rooks or who the manager is the joke might fall flat. And it should probably say what time games kick off, but I'm guessing this one is more about reminding people who follow the team that there's a game on Saturday, than aiming at people who know nothing about it.

On 15 Sep 2012 at 12:32pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I have to agree with someone else and local. One of the things that first attracted us to Lewes FC was the posters and we have kept many of them over the past two years and display them in our front window. But sadly disappointed with the efforts this year and frankly have been a little ashamed to display them.
Shame, it was a real distinguishing feature of the club.

On 15 Sep 2012 at 1:39pm Rookie wrote:
I was involved with poster-putting-up not that many years ago. In those days they were very basic..........just the club crest, who the opposition were and the date. They were black and white too straight off an old clapped out photocopier.
So although the new ones might not be as good (in some folks opinion) they are light years better than the ones I helped put up.
Secondly, I travel to away games regularly and can report that NO other comparable club I have visited has ANYTHING like we have. The best I have seen is a sheet of A3 with the game scribbled on in black marker pen in a shop or two. So I dont understand "ashamed" at all.

On 15 Sep 2012 at 10:55pm Local wrote:
It's about standards, Rookie.
Other Clubs in the same league might present themselves in an amateurish way, but I think that ANY drop in the professional standards that LFC have set themselves is worth comment and arresting if at all possible.

On 15 Sep 2012 at 11:38pm Rookie wrote:
Ok. I'll go along with that, but I still dont understand the "ashamed" comment from BB though.

On 16 Sep 2012 at 3:27pm Local wrote:
Perhaps he/she is very particular about what's in her windows.
For what it's worth, my take on them so far this season:
BHA friendly - fine
Enfield - all the impact of a pane of clear glass
Wealdstone - eye-catching yellow but truly awful illustrations
Cray - a confusing mess, missing some key info
Rookettes - stylish and clear, but just a re-print of a magazine cover, I'm told

On 16 Sep 2012 at 5:54pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I am particular about what I display in my windows and was very proud to display the old Lewes FC posters. But they just aren't good design or communicating well - frankly they are a bit of a mess. After displaying such great posters previously, I don't want to display these ones. The old ones were carefully considered and brilliant examples of good poster design - whoever was doing them really knew their stuff and I really think helped attract new punters. Shame that high standard is being let down, I think it lets the club down.

On 19 Sep 2012 at 2:43pm reasonable ron wrote:
Oh don't be such a tart, BB.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:132
extinction rebellion lewes

Talk about misappropriation! The Rockefeller report that TP referenced is available for all to read. It envisages future... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane