Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Late Night Shopping

On 8 Dec 2006 at 8:02am Smiler wrote:
Is it me or was Late Night Shopping night last night the poorest effort for years?

On 8 Dec 2006 at 9:22am c.s.b.s wrote:
sorry smiler, we cancelled the fireworks out of respect, and do you think the weather had anything to do with it, im sure the chamber who do try with limited funds and workers will be disappointed, but im sure would be glad of you help and input next year, just pop in and see mr quinn at the carpet shop,

On 8 Dec 2006 at 12:29pm Smiler wrote:
I'm helping already by buying my christmas presents from local shops surely its the duty of the chamber to make it enticing to help its members to thrive and its up to the public to enjoy it.
Its not just the fireworks. What happened to Rocket Radio, the kids displays, the kiddies funfair they used to put on?
I was very glad to see the fire engine though (as was my little lad)

On 8 Dec 2006 at 3:38pm SHS wrote:
Planned to go but missed it! Why couldn't they let off a few giant rockets at 6 p.m. to remind us? At least on bonfire night we get reminders (at 6 a.m.) so maybe the bonfire boys should organise next year's late night shopping. Of course if it was weekly then it would actually be useful and folks could get into a routine......

On 9 Dec 2006 at 3:31am Nick Luthi wrote:
My three and and a half year old daughter adores and was promised fireworks at the castle on Thursday night, but it was inconceivable that late night shopping could put on a display.

Although we all know ( apart from "think before you soundbite" Norman Baker ) that Festival were legitimately licensed, and stage events all over the world - it would have been unacceptable and insensitive to ask the fire service to supervise this event.
The fireworks on Late Night Shopping are not key to the evening: unlike Bonfire or New Year.
And, therefore, if you consider how fragile the Bonfire status quo has become; apart from the need to show our respect to our local firefighters; it would have been gratuitous and unwise to carry on.

Despite the fact that you might as well ask New York to cancel July 4th, some of the Media, the civil service and a few of Lewes Forum's contributors will try to associate this appalling tragedy with their inexorable calls for a clampdown on November 5th.

It is not terribly surprising that a Firework Supply Company should have developed around Lewes.
But neither the Winters family or Festival have been responsible for Lewes' Bonfire tradition and celebrations.
Nor, considering the global appeal and success of Festival's displays and services, can Lewes or Bonfire be blamed for the production, importation and storage of fireworks.

The Sun has already gleefully reported that Festival were fined in 1999.
Norman 'Lewes' Baker had apparently never heard of Festival ( or Sussex Fireworks I guess ) but has already questioned their licensing and hence pre-empted any investigation

On 9 Dec 2006 at 3:55am Nick Luthi wrote:
Sorry.
Point was that as long as I've lived here, Lewes residents have always implied to me, that although no-one "in charge" could ever have wished or wanted this tragedy, there is a significant body of political opinion in Lewes that has predicted Bonfire disaster for so long, that this may be the justification for the next round of regulation and sterilisation.
I hope they and I are wrong.

Buncefield oil storage depot was an appalling disaster, but it didn't lead to a Media frenzy to restrict the storage or consumption of petrol.

Norman, the LDs, and to a degree the Sussex Express have always struck me as pretty uncomfortable with the whole Bonfire thing and I'm afraid I smell the wind of change.

On 9 Dec 2006 at 11:14am Mystic mog wrote:
"Norman, the LDs, and to a degree the Sussex Express have always struck me as pretty uncomfortable with the whole Bonfire thing and I'm afraid I smell the wind of change."
Slight generalisation Nick, I do not believe that love of Bonfire is a matter of political demarkation.
Shame that some people have to make links were there are none. We live in a world that I am predicting that we will need an NVQ to wipe one's bum or a hard hat when tying shoe laces.

On 9 Dec 2006 at 12:48pm Mystic mog wrote:
Who is the President of Waterloo BS??
Cllr M. P. Chartier Lib Dem

On 9 Dec 2006 at 4:48pm guy wrote:
sure it wont come to that but safety must come before any tradition i am sure the bonfires will keep burning in lewes

On 16 Dec 2006 at 6:23am Nick Luthi wrote:
Oh C***st Mystic. Now I've upset you too!!
I'm reasonably apolitical and I'd certainly never be that simplistic about local party politics. But hang on.....
Bonfire is unquestionably a major headache for whoever happens to be the current District majority party.
It is almost a "Force Majeure" in the sense that although "foreseen" - it is an event larger than and beyond the control of its participants.
An administrative nightmare basically.

And hence nobody can say whether Labour or the Tories would have made a better fist of it over the last fifteen years.

BUT...the libdems are the majority District party and the party of our elected MP.
And consequently are acceptable targets for criticism.

In my opinion, Norman Baker would have better represented his constituency if he had not pandered to the rent-a-quote "who's to blame" media.

To pre-empt any future investigation by suggesting that either the licensing or control and evacuation of the site might have been inadequate is, frankly, not his professional remit and has done neither the Winters, fireservice or Lewes any good.
I also believe it was a Lib Dem council that survived a vote of no confidence ( 18 - 21 ) in the nineties because of the attempt to push through a secretive package of Bonfire restrictions.

It is an awful and cruel truth for politicians that good administration is nameless, party-less and often forgotten.
I couldn't care less which flag

On 16 Dec 2006 at 6:31am Nick Luthi wrote:
the councillors run with....as long as they remember that elections happen every four years.

Tradition - destroyed - is irreplaceable.

Mystic - Please let's have a pint soon, and not fall out - Maybe I've got too much time on my hands.

On 16 Dec 2006 at 10:50am Mystic mog wrote:
A pint would be good - not lager though!!
I am sure that there are things that have to be said in public and the press will have their own agenda / "quoting".
Just to add to the list of Lib Dems with bonfire connections - Paul Mockford President of Cliffe and past Mayor. I would be interested in this secretive package.

On 16 Dec 2006 at 3:18pm Nick Luthi wrote:
Gardeners?

On 16 Dec 2006 at 7:56pm Mystic mog wrote:
Now the LA annex. You must be reading my mind.

On 16 Dec 2006 at 8:26pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
I've only just come across this thread, but Bonfire has always been very apolitical when it comes to party politics. There are a number of councillors past and present of all parties who are members.
On the top of my head Cllr Chartier (president Waterloo), Cllr Jim Daly (Cliffe), Cllr Ann De Vecchi (Waterloo or Borough if memory suits me correct.) All Lib Dem. John Winter (Borough and past Conservative candidate) and a few prospective labour candidates are involved with the reformed Southover Bonfire Society (although unlike the Lib Dems or John Winter Labour involvment in Bonfire is a more recent event.)
Alignment to Bonfire has always been a personal not party political. People in the past who have opposed bonfire have often been savaged by the societies, but also people who have tried to score political points out of Bonfire and use it for their own political ambitions are doing so at their own risk. People in Lewes are not stupid and they are perfectly capable of knowing which local politician has a long established link with a bonfire society or not.
Finally as someone who has been in the Sussex Express office on the run up to Bonfire they are most definately pro Bonfire.

On 5 Jan 2007 at 1:41pm Paul Mockford wrote:
Having seen my name mentioned in connection with the Lib Dems I thought I should put the record straight. I resigned from the Lib Dems in 1993 after I discovered from a Senior Police Officer that discussions were proposed about Bonfire Safety without the knowledge or involvement of the Bonfire Societies. I became an Independent and was re-relected as an Independent Councillor in 1995. Sadly I was not re-elected in 1999. I became the President of Cliffe Bonfire Society in 1994.

On 11 Jan 2007 at 3:10am Nick Luthi wrote:
Mystic. I think Paul Mockford answers your question about the "secretive package".

On 2 Feb 2007 at 1:41pm AlexBolduin wrote:
Hi

I want to try to be insured life the wife
advise office

On 28 Mar 2007 at 2:05am GRIENlord wrote:
Hello everybody! I am new to the site www.lewes.co.uk
Could anyone, please, advise if there is a lot of
spam and unscrupulous advertising. Can I trust
all this information, which is present at this forum?
Sorry for stupid questions, I just really want know which
information I should trust or even pay attention.

On 28 Mar 2007 at 7:43am DYL wrote:
Don't believe a word that Tooth Fairy says.

On 24 Oct 2007 at 2:54am elderarty wrote:
ООО "ТрансГарант Групп "
+7(495)662-58-48 (многоканальный);
+7(495)662-59-48(факс)
ICQ (263-709-614)

Транспортно - экспедиторские услуги по Москве, МО и России.

ВЫГОДЫ для Вас:
Услуги нашей компании обойдутся Вам Дешевле в среднем на 25%, потому что "Мы Действительно делаем Все, чтобы Вы платили Меньше"
У Вас есть возможность выбора наиболее Выгодного для вас тарифа: 8-ми часового или минимального
Сделав заказ у нас, вы нанимаете Личного Менеджера. Он контролирует
Четкость Выполнения всех условий Вашего заказа.
Мы доступны для Вас 24 часа в сутки
Километраж в пределах 15 километровой зоны от МКАД Не оплачивается!

On 9 Nov 2007 at 7:53am Test wrote:
Hello

G'night

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

So another new developer for North Street Quarter!

This time with several backers, all residents of Lewes, so step forward... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina