Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lansdown Arms

On 29 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm Megan Bacon wrote:
Every morning I walk past the Lansdown Arms and over the bridge to the station. The amount of cigarette butts and broken glass around the Lansdown is ever increasing and poses a real hazard to pedestrians and traffic alike (full bottles are left in the road waiting for vehicles to run over them). In addition, the pub seems intent on applying the ‚??Bill‚??s‚?Ě principal and commandeering the majority of the pavement for their own personal gain (even barricading the area off with some rather naff screens). The rubbish bins are continually left out on the pavement and a scabby old bench is also left out permanently.
Yesterday morning was particularly grim - as I walked past, I witnessed staff hosing down the streets (yes, plural), the walls of the pub and the furniture due to someone having experienced an exorcist type moment the night before.
There is little doubt that the pub is causing a nuisance to the locality, a danger to the public and an eyesore to all who visit the town. Does anyone feel this way?
On 30 Mar 2012 at 8:44am Work Localy wrote:
Errr no we don't, get over it and mind you own business. Bloody commuter.
On 30 Mar 2012 at 8:57am parker wrote:
Nope, no problem here. (and i personally like the 'naff screens'.
On 30 Mar 2012 at 11:17am Another local worker wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the original post. Landlords have a duty of care to ensure that their customers do not drink too much alcohol, cause nuisance or annoyance, or pose a risk to others. It seems as if this landlord is failing on several counts.
Suggest you contact whoever is in charge of licensing officer at the council, AND the health and safety department too.
Good luck
On 30 Mar 2012 at 11:23am Amethyst wrote:
I have to agree with you Megan. My elderly father has problems getting past sometimes, as he has to walk on the flat part of the pavement (due to mobility/balance problems), not the part which slants up to the road, so when barriers are out he has to cross the road to get to the bottom of the hill then cross again at the busy junction (which is worrying as he is not very quick anymore). However yesterday I noted that along with the bench there is also a small table in front of it and chairs placed the other side therefore taking up all the flat pavement. Is it fair to obstruct the whole pavement, bearing in mind there is retirement accomodation a little way up the hill. It is quite intimidating to have to walk past when the customers are all standing out on the pavement and will not move making you walk into the road to get by. The publican needs to be a little more on the case, I do hope they are not as arrogant as Bill!
On 30 Mar 2012 at 2:48pm DFL wrote:
Report them to the police and council, and next time their licence comes up for renewal, object to it !
On 30 Mar 2012 at 4:36pm Dog Walker wrote:
Trying to find somewhere to walk your dog in that area is difficult due to the amount of broken glass that is left lying around. If I were a landlord, I would be serving drinks for outside consumption in plastic cups and, if any of my customers broke glasses or bottles (or vomited), I would ensure that all pieces were swept up and disposed off immediately.
On 30 Mar 2012 at 9:52pm For Goodness Sake wrote:
Sounds vile.
Report ASAP as per DFL post

On 30 Mar 2012 at 10:09pm jrsussex wrote:
If the landlord owns the pavement area outside the premises then he can (more or less) do as he pleases, if however it is owned by the local authority then he has to hold a licence to put tables and chairs in that area. If he is licensed the local authority are charging him an annual fee for the licence, which is usually a few hundred pounds. Yet another scheme thought up a few years ago to raise more money from local businesses.
On 30 Mar 2012 at 10:34pm Amore Locale Local wrote:
The place is awful - go straight to the council - it is pointless trying to discuss it with the landlady.
On 31 Mar 2012 at 8:15am jig wrote:
dfl w!**!r
On 31 Mar 2012 at 10:21pm and another local worker wrote:
I agree with Megan. It's unfortunate that the location means that people wanting to walk down the road and into Lansdown place have to navigate round the drinkers who have claimed the pavement as a beer garden. Not sure why Working Localy (or locally) has claimed the moral high ground by assuming working locally is a higher form of being than commuting, so thought I would proudly trumpet the fact that I haven't the gumption to look further afield for work (only joking).
On 31 Mar 2012 at 10:25pm Frak wrote:
Why not just pop in and mention it to the people working in the pub or write them s letter outlining your concerns?
On 31 Mar 2012 at 10:53pm and another local worker wrote:
We have, on several occasions. Viv and Ben very much want to make it work and personally want all businesses to be successful, particularly pubs which are having a hard time at the moment. The problem is that it is a small pub with no outside area and, since the new smoking law, it has been necessary for smokers to be outside, with the pavement being the only place. Once outside it is very tempting to stay there. It can often be a case of coming down the hill mid afternoon and having to make a choice of deliberately pushing through drinkers or walking in the street as cars come round the corner. For a fully mobile person that is fine but for someone pushing a buggy or an old person pushing a mobility scooter it is just not reasonable to have to do that.
On 1 Apr 2012 at 12:58pm All That Glitters wrote:
I asked them to clear up the broken glass a couple of months ago, but they choose to do nothing, so it now been ground down to dust by traffic/pedestrians.
@Dog Walker, has the glass injured your dog? If so, I would hold them responsible for the vet fees
On 1 Apr 2012 at 10:06pm Bazooka Joe wrote:
Why is it that the pub closest to the railway station (in any town) is usually a dive?
On 3 Apr 2012 at 12:13am Local Comuter wrote:
If you take any notice you would have seen why the staff were cleaning the pub, to make it look nicer! I also walk past each morning to go to work and each morning I see a gentleman (I presume the cleaner) cleaning up the cigaret butts and glass. I can agree that this could be done at night but this could be hard in the dark. Today I had a day off and walked past to notice the bench has been painted, new plants by the doors and hanging while the front of the pub must have benefited from the cleaning as it looked mush whiter. And for the barriers, i can only assume these have been used to keep the custom clear of sone of the pavement so that people can walk past. I will finish my rant with saying this, as business owner in Brighton I know i would much rather someone simply come into my shop and talk to me than post grumpy complaints on a forum.

On 4 Apr 2012 at 9:11am Pointless wrote:
The publicans are fully aware of the problems and have been told many times by members of the public and the council to sort things out but they choose not to. Pointless!

On 5 Apr 2012 at 2:10pm Viv English wrote:
I find this forum very funny but unfortunately very ignorant! As the owner of The Lansdown Arms it is news to me that one of my customers had an exorcist moment, in fact the sun came out and we thoughht we would make the pub sparkle, but I love your imagination. I can only assume as I know to be correct that you have never been inside and met with the horror movie that awaits! Anyway as mentioned by anomynous above the minimal glass and cigarettes are cleaned up every night in the dark and anything that has been missed from 8am, so I am sorry if you are begrudgingly passing before this time. Do pop in for a pint after your hard journey x ps the barriers were the local councils suggestion!

On 5 Apr 2012 at 2:23pm Attracted by the lentils wrote:
Oh come on owner, this is getting serious, please could the rest of society, in fact the rest of the world fall in to line. I‚??ve had my youth, followed my rights of passage but now that I am middle aged, middle class and in the sobriety of my later years I have realised that the only way to numb the dullness that my slavery to the dollar creates is to search for and then believe in a utopia that doesn‚??t exist. My own personal utopia where everyone behaves, thinks and earns like I do. I work very hard to keep my beautiful wife in Kath Kidston clothes and hunter wellies, my relentless quest to discover an ever illusive middle class dream has rinsed every last drip of tolerance from my body, and just like a cuckoo who pushes others offspring to its demise, and then claim‚??s its nest as their own. I will force every last one of you, who choose‚??s not to abide by my rules out of your nest too. Then I will curl up with my stepford wife and and sample yet another one of her homemade cupcakes and marvel at how superficial they are, with all there decoration on the outside but little substance within.
On 6 Apr 2012 at 10:39am Amanda wrote:
Well done, Viv, for sticking up for yourself. I and many others know you are working very hard to make the Lansdown work, but you can't control everything. It's a shame some of the punters can't support you in this by behaving responsibly outside, as well as the local commentators by addressing concerns in a constructive and positive way.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Station Street Lewes 111:132
Station Street Lewes

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone