Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Landport Bonfire Society

On 13 Jul 2008 at 8:03pm Landportian wrote:
Anybody interested in a possible Landport bonfire revival?

On 14 Jul 2008 at 2:13pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Hmm Commercial Square already exists down those parts and I think the original Bonfire society struggled for those reasons,
Southover has been a success largely because it revived a society in a part of town that was no longer represented.
When Southover did start up I did moot if we would see some more spring up, it seems that Bonfire In Lewes is in rude health in town especially with the societies doing more community stuff like Proms in the Paddock, Cliffe Independence etc...
It would be difficult to start up i reckon you would need at least 150 people for the procession and a dedicated team of about a dozen people to do the tableaux and you'll need to find a fire site and be able to have fundraising events for the fireworks.
On 14 Jul 2008 at 2:19pm Lord Landport wrote:
Hi Landportian I Would love to see it, but cant offer time etc but count me in to watch it
On 14 Jul 2008 at 2:23pm lord Landport wrote:
If it was run like Nevill And Borough do they could share the same firesite. but think you might struggle to get people to help as the bonfire calender is prety hectic around oct /nov Chav will be up up for some pyro action
On 14 Jul 2008 at 10:31pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Seem to remember Landpoprt Bonfire ran for a few years in the late seventies then disapeared. Things have moved on since then though. You're going to need a hard core of about 30 people to do all the work and a minimum of ten grand to put the night on. Or you could just be a visiting society and tag along with someone else on the fifth. I can't see you pulling it off, but good luck if you try. Southover are up and running, but are largely made up of people who have been kicked out of other societies and 'down from Londoners' who think it's a jolly jape to partake in the local traditions, but have no idea what it's all about.

On 19 Jul 2008 at 6:05pm landportian wrote:
i have been a member of a bonfire society for the last twenty years and have been involved in some events etc, i know what hard work it all is.
i would be thinking of running it just like Neville do really, different night to the fifth, dont need a tab, just a fire and a guy, small procession.
I would like to see the members be more focused on celebrating the finding of mr fawkes rather then competing with other societies on how big there wallets are.

On 20 Jul 2008 at 11:10am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I'm not trying to offend you landportian, just offer advice. Even puttting on a small event, insurance will still gobble up an eye watering amount of money. Then you've got to choose an autumn/winter Saturday night that doesn't clash with any of the 'out meetings'. Not easy.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

Sweet Fanny Adams, Nev, what's it got to do with you? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone