Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

LGTG

On 27 Oct 2012 at 9:30am Dave Filcher wrote:
Does anybody know what, if any, policies the bonfire societies have in place regarding the LGTG community??? Apart from the Phoenix obviously, the rest of them look rather, shall we say, homophobic. None of the web sites mention diversity or alternative lifestyles.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 10:23am Innuendo wrote:
Shouldnt that be Felcher?

On 27 Oct 2012 at 12:29pm Amused wrote:
Surely the fact that they don't mention specific policies suggests they don't care if you're gay, straight, transgender, bi, and anyone's welcome. How exactly do they look homophobic?

On 27 Oct 2012 at 12:54pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I daresay they don't mention them because everyone is accepted. There are certainly gay men, bisexuals and lesbians in the society I belong to, and while I don't know of any TG members, I really can't see anyone having an issue with them.
I'm not aware of any societies having policies on other aspects of diversity such as ethnicity or disability either, but that doesn't mean they're racist or anti people with disabilities.

On 27 Oct 2012 at 2:41pm Bruciare il Papa wrote:
Filcher or Felcher - both mean the same

Check it out here »

On 27 Oct 2012 at 4:24pm Blip wrote:
Don't they just join as a human being, like anyone else? Why make a distinction?

On 27 Oct 2012 at 4:54pm Bonfire member wrote:
There's certainly one person I know in my society who is TG.

On 27 Oct 2012 at 5:35pm Pete wrote:
Can someone enlighten me - LGTG ???

On 27 Oct 2012 at 5:43pm Townie wrote:
LGTG = lesbian, gay trans-gender.
As mentioned, who cares what your sexuality, religious beliefs, race, colour blah blah is. No wonder there's so much prejudice when you're constantly asking to be accepted because your LGTG. Just get on with it.
I see that a few TG's have moaned to Brighton council that they do not have a box to tick when it comes to asking for "gender" on forms. As a result, the vast 99.9999% majority are not going to be called Mr or Mrs now because it's descrimination.
Pathetic.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 6:13pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Homosexuals, vegetarians, trainspotters,etc; please just carry on your unusual practices in private and stop bothering the rest of us. We (the 99.9999%) are not interested in what you do.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 6:36pm Southover Queen wrote:
Wooo hooo here we go again. Sussex Jim, what is it that homosexuals do to you that you object to? (I sense that the vegetarians and trainspotters are just in there as camouflage)

Please explain. Is it just the idea you don't like? Or are those gays up to their having sex on street corners thing again?

And if they're really one in a million, why are you so wound about their existence at all? And what would you say if one of your children turned out to be A Gay?
On 27 Oct 2012 at 6:52pm Drinker wrote:
Oh the joys of posting after a few beers eh SQ? (Clue, try to make sense of your last sentence!)

On 27 Oct 2012 at 7:02pm Really wrote:
Is this not a question applicable to all clubs , of any kind , I know it's topical to bash bonfire , would I as a straighty be accepted in some of the clubs that LGTGs attend ? I bet the answer is yes ,so ditto
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:07pm Southover Queen wrote:
I haven't had a drop (yet), drinker, but thanks for your concern.

I'll explain my last sentence for you: Jim said that the 99.9999% majority (ie those not gay) would prefer gays to carry on "their unusual practices in private", which, unless I'm much mistaken, makes gays one in a million.

Since in my extensive experience gays do indeed carry out "their unusual practices" in private, I was just wondering what it is that they do that so offends him, and I'm wondering if he's fallen into a den of very militant homosexuals who are aggressively holding hands or kissing in his presence. However since they're in such a tiny, vanishing minority of the population that seems a little unlikely. So I was just casually enquiring, really.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:13pm It's sinful wrote:
Well done Sussex jim!!!!!! At last ! Sq?explain your extensive experience ? In your post you have indeed agreed that their acts are unusual!
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:21pm Southover Queen wrote:
Well, I haven't really: I've merely quoted Jim.

I'm not sure why I should have to explain my "extensive experience", but it would be that I have never come across anyone carrying out "unusual practices" anywhere. I've been a normal sentient adult for some decades so that counts as "extensive experience".

I'm afraid I simply don't get why you and Sussex Jim think it's remotely anything to do with you, really.

On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:32pm Lou C. and this guy wrote:
In my own even more extensive experience, SQ, it's all about forbidden fruit. People who want to do it but can't or are too frightened or repressed find solace in talking about it. Sometimes their words can come over as homophobic and hostile but that is simply their way of externalising their feelings and releasing the tension ... so probably best not to take what they say too seriously.
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:40pm Southover Queen wrote:
Oh I see! You think Jim's actually a closet gay!

Brilliant. Does that make Nick Griffin a closet immigrant then?
On 27 Oct 2012 at 8:45pm Ben wrote:
SQ - you need to get out more if you think that gays carry out their "unusual practices" in private. Stumbling across two men "69 ing" in a public place is not pleasant.

On 27 Oct 2012 at 9:51pm ITS-ME! wrote:
The reason it is not mentioned on any society website or there isn't any clear policy is all are welcome (even Catholics - which has a certain irony considering the history of Bonfire in Lewes, actually whilst I digress I know many Catholic Bonfire society members some who are even senior in some society's!).
As all are welcome and maintaining the Bonfire tradition is priority for most members it probably doesn't particularly come up.
Actually a member of the particular section I march with in my society is Transgendered and will happily talk about it if asked. He (was a she) is most concerned with Bonfire and has never shown concern about lack of a LGBT policy. I respect his private life and we enjoy a good year marching out each year!
On 27 Oct 2012 at 11:19pm Sindy wrote:
Oh Ben - hope you didn't stumble too badly. And I hope next time you find what you were really looking for!

On 28 Oct 2012 at 1:46am Loose Ian wrote:
@Ben
I'm a gay and and I think men and women dogging in lay-bys and two men 69ing wherever it is you go for your walks could both be unpleasant experiences for the casual passer by. Not being a bigot I don't consider straight public sex to be worse than gay public sex; the issue is that sex in public is often wrong and the council really ought to consider passing by-laws against it.

On 28 Oct 2012 at 1:10am IMEYOU wrote:
This reply is to the original post "Does anybody know what, if any, policies the bonfire societies have in place regarding the LGTG community??? Apart from the Phoenix obviously, the rest of them look rather, shall we say, homophobic. None of the web sites mention diversity or alternative lifestyles."
Lewes Bonfire is a celebration of the failure of the gunpowder plot, remembrance, freedom of speech, beliefs and chosen life style, it does not have to specify a group, all types of lifestyles and disadvantaged types are more than welcome, providing they are not carrying a of bag chips on their shoulder like you are.

On 28 Oct 2012 at 8:13am Pete wrote:
Thank you Townie, so what's all the fuss about then, just get on with your lives. Not a bad morning out there at the moment, so get out there for a walk....

On 29 Oct 2012 at 8:38am GAY PIRATE wrote:
YAAAARRGGH!!!!! (tl;dr)
This web site doesn't say I can be GAY and POST MESSAGES.
ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!ZOMG!
HOME PHOBIC OR WHAT!

On 29 Oct 2012 at 9:58am Blip wrote:
Just get on with your life as a human being and stop bothering others about your sexuality. If you are a nice person no-one will care; you will be welcome.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 9:59am Blip wrote:
Just get on with your life as a human being and stop bothering others about your sexuality. If you are a nice person no-one will care; you will be welcome.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:00am Blip wrote:
Slight "blip" there; didn't mean to say it twice!

On 29 Oct 2012 at 7:07pm mickyboy wrote:
bonfire societies have no interest in members religions, political persuasions, colour of their skin, ethinic background or sexual persuasion. refreshing that isnt it.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys 42:132
Harveys

She’s going to have to get there early and park on the outskirts
And still pee off the local residents
There’s no cheap... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan