Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

LDC reveals plans to review its Lewes properties

On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:08pm Rocket Man wrote:
Plans by Lewes District Council to review its property portfolio in the County Town were revealed today on Rocket FM.
In an interview broadcast live on the station's breakfast show, LDC Leader Cllr James Page said: ‚??We‚??ve got five or six offices in Lewes. We are going to consolidate into Southover House. The other assets are going to be disposed of. Lewes House is something that it quite sensitive so we‚??ll need to work out what ‚??disposed of‚?? means.‚?Ě
Cllr Page also sought to assuage fears over the future of Southover Grange. ‚??We have reopened the conversation and my officers are meeting with them this week‚?Ě, he told Dino Bishop and Ruth O'Keeffe.
Answering direct questions about the reported threat to the future of St Mary's Social Centre in Christie Road, he told Rocket FM, ‚??I understand that St Mary's is a great community asset ‚?¶ but that does not preclude it being redeveloped and making it a more fit for purpose community centre‚?Ě.
Asked if he understood the cultural and historical value of the council‚??s properties in Lewes, Cllr Page said, ‚??Lewes does have some vociferous people ‚?¶ it‚??s very easy to listen to the loudest voice.‚?Ě
www.rocketfm.org.uk
On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:16pm Southover Queen wrote:
Many thanks for posting this, Rocket Man. It's remarkable that you've persuaded Cllr Page to talk to you - more than most manage!

"Very easy to listen to the loudest people"? When exactly has he listened to anyone? Or consulted anyone (which would, I guess, lead to listening to what they say)? Cllr Page prefers to conduct the business of LDC in complete private without the inconvenience of explaining himself.

"Cllr Page also sought to assuage fears over the future of Southover Grange. ‚??We have reopened the conversation and my officers are meeting with them this week‚?Ě, he told Dino Bishop and Ruth O'Keeffe. " Who's "them", Rocket Man? Could it possibly be that ESCC might reconsider not renewing their lease of the Register Office? If so, that would be excellent news.

On 30 Oct 2012 at 2:40am Fairmeadow wrote:
Let us all ensure that Cllr James Page continues to hear from the vociferous people of Lewes.

On 30 Oct 2012 at 10:22am Clifford wrote:
And while we're at it, wouldn't it be a miracle if Cllr Michael Chartier ever responded to a question from the people he is supposed to represent?

On 30 Oct 2012 at 10:32pm the old mayor wrote:
I suppose now the properties are utterly useless in the 21st century, the council having sucked the life out of them for decades, now quite happily expects a private company to pick them up and refurbish them (within conservation constraints, which are unbelievably financially and time expensive) No wonder we need to keep an eye on the sale of them. Prime example in Fisher Street the old Accounts Offices. Sad looking lump !! Whatever could that be used for !! No parking, hardly any pavement or passing footfall. Would have made a good Library eh ? Still, the new one will be for sale soon !!

On 31 Oct 2012 at 6:43pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Southover House is less accessible for people with mobility issues than the Fisher Street building.
They should consider putting a giant stairlift in Watergate Lane.
I suppose this means more offices converted into flats.

On 31 Oct 2012 at 11:09pm LDC worker wrote:
The Council's buildings were first and foremost private dwellings. As they are at the moment, they are not fit for purpose. I worked in 3a Fisher St but it was totally unsuitable as an office. Not only that, but there were only 11 of us in the whole building. I think selling the buildings and all working in one location is a really positive move, which will hopefully save us all money in the long term.

On 2 Nov 2012 at 2:59pm concerned of lewes wrote:
Nothing wrong with selling unwanted and unneeded buildings as long as they are unwanted and unneeded.
Also they sale needs to be done properly.
Cllr Page is not doing well on any of these fronts at present so I hope he does continue to hear from lots of us vociferous Lewesians :-)
Contact your councillor and express your dissatisfaction and ask how you can help change this.
Happy Bonfire

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pells Pond 96:132
Pells Pond

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington