LDC: Nice work if you can get it

On 8 Jul 2013 at 3:26pm Ousey9mm wrote:
Director of Business Strategy and Development to £90k
Director of Corporate Services to £90k
Director of Service Delivery to £90k
Get your applications in now!

Check it out here »
On 8 Jul 2013 at 4:15pm Townie wrote:
In all seriousness, how many of you could actually do those jobs ? I know i couldn't
On 8 Jul 2013 at 4:39pm Paul wrote:
£270k for very vague jobs reporting to someone who earns even more - the council is simply not big enough to justify this - £1/2 million + in costs and none of them deliver anything.
On 8 Jul 2013 at 4:45pm Pete wrote:
Three very similar jobs!
On 8 Jul 2013 at 5:46pm Cheeky Monkey wrote:
After tax it's £200 a day. I'd want a lot more than that to work with the a**ewipes at LDC.
On 8 Jul 2013 at 5:50pm Andy wrote:
Another website commissioned by Lewes District Council that does NOT support local businesses. The Council chose to select a design agency in Manchester. (called The design agency is Northern Design Collective - their website: www.northerndesigncollective.co.uk).
There are web agencies in Lewes (or at least Brighton) that can do better. Most of LDC procurement seems to be against supporting local business.
LDC must try harder to SUPPORT LOCAL SMALL BUSINESSES. And Lewes Chamber of Commerce should be publicly lobbying the Councillors. Anyone agree?

On 8 Jul 2013 at 6:13pm Harry wrote:
I think there's a wider question to be asked here - of which remuneration is a part. At a time of squeezed living standards, and with the 8th highest average Band D council tax in the country, does the Lewes district need three tiers of local government? The recent activity at Lewes District Council (some of which has been reported on this forum) smacks of empire building, which, in my view, we can ill afford.

On 8 Jul 2013 at 7:29pm Will wrote:
Okay so who do we see about ousting a layer ?

On 8 Jul 2013 at 7:54pm Harry wrote:
I should think the Department for Communities and Local Government, though presumably there would need to be local political support, of which, as is evidenced by Donna Edmunds' 'declaration', there is apparently none.
*Insert tedious turkey based idiom here*

Check it out here »
On 8 Jul 2013 at 9:10pm LDC A**e Wiper wrote:
For your information, two of the current directors are leaving shortly and there have been many voluntary redundancies (quite a few of which are management).
On 8 Jul 2013 at 9:17pm Mick Wright wrote:
Waste of O2 - half of them are part time so you cannot get hold of them, the other half are typical civil servants paying consultants to do the actual work. Shambles!

On 8 Jul 2013 at 9:53pm Extra wrote:
Last week LDC removed a perfectly good steel road name sign screwed to a wall
and replaced it with a plastic sign which they located in the middle of a grass verge. Now, ESCC can't mow the verge.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 8:47am Zebedee wrote:
What is this page for: changelewes.co.uk??

It's one web page (which bixarrely refers to itself as a microsite!) listing three jobs and provides no details worth having. There's a small form and a non-working link to Solace Enterprises (who are they?). The domain is owned by Northern Design Collective who seem to exist in a private house in Manchester.

Has someone spent my money on this? If so, why?

On 9 Jul 2013 at 8:53am Peter wrote:
We need to abolish 2 of the 3 layers of local govt - I don't care which 2 to be honest.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 9:53am Harry wrote:
The county council has to bid to become a unitary authority. They didn't, when they last had the opportunity to do so in 2007.
That said, perhaps straitened times and public dissatisfaction could concentrate minds. It clearly hasn't at district level.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 12:14pm jolewes1 wrote:
It would be good if someone from any of the three authorities were to tell us what the benefits are to the whole of the population of this town of having the three sets ruling our lives albeit in subtly different ways. I would have a great deal of difficulty in understandng the benefits of one let alone three!

On 9 Jul 2013 at 12:25pm Harry wrote:
Councillors Edmunds, Kent and Price. I'd be surprised if none of you were reading this.
Your thoughts?

On 9 Jul 2013 at 2:21pm Screaming J wrote:
Zebedee - Solace is an acronym for 'Society of Local Authority Chief Executives'. Solace Enterprises is a consultancy company formed by them which does (amongst other things) recruitment, provide interim managers etc. I offer this purely to answer a question, not because I have any links with them, want to plug them or have an axe to grind agin them.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 2:55pm Zebedee wrote:
Cheers. Found solace: www.solace.org.uk and realised that you have to register to gain access to the rest of changelewes.co.uk microsite.
Still don't understand why Solace feel the need to advertise the jobs among themselves on a devoted web site when all the details will also be published to the local council web site and on the local government jobs site.

At least it looks like Solace is not funded by the tax payer anyway.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 6:25pm Cupid stunt wrote:
Of course Solace is funded by the tax payer, it's not a charity, they are obviously acting as a agency, on behalf of the council, government, quango, what ever and they only have OUR money to spend. Duh
And those councillors reading this are going to keep shtum it's probably their demise we're talking about. May it be sooner rather than later. REALLY SAVE US SOME MONEY, fall on your swords !!
On 9 Jul 2013 at 7:52pm LDC Worker wrote:
Mick Wright, I work part-time at the Council as I cannot afford for my children to go into childcare full time, and I would actually like to see them. Most part-timers are in the same position.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 8:52pm Zebedee wrote:
£90K plus benefits and VERY favourable pension is just too much, beyond the pale. Most of us think that the council does not work for us. Indeed they are not. They are milking us. This is just jobs for the boys passed around by their network Solace. Solace for them maybe...

It cannot be funded by the taxpayer. That would be the just ridiculous. Solace is funded by BT (amongst others right?
On 9 Jul 2013 at 10:13pm Zebedee wrote:
My experience of part time working and job sharing is the same Mick. You cannot get hold of anyone when you want them (it's just like the police in fact!) It's just inefficient and wasteful and not a luxury we can afford any longer. Perhaps it's time we valued out extended family a little more.

On 9 Jul 2013 at 10:13pm X wrote:
It's worse than you think - there are four tiers of local government: TC, LDC, ESCC and SDNPA.

On 10 Jul 2013 at 9:03am jolewes1 wrote:
OMG! I had forgotten about the 4th tier. It gets worse! Looking at the reply by LDC worker, I do feel some sympathy but it is still a massive waste of money - paying for 4 tiers of government that appear to be at best inefficient and at worse, totally out of touch with what ordinary people want out of their town and county. Can we do anything about it? Probable not. Which council would vote itself out of existence? Maybe central government should take the lead?

On 10 Jul 2013 at 10:57am Zebedee wrote:
Unbelievable that Prescott was trying to add a fourth, the regional development agencies (RDA's). Sheer madness.

On 10 Jul 2013 at 12:41pm Frédéric Bastiat wrote:
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavours to live at the expense of everybody else.
On 10 Jul 2013 at 1:13pm LDC Worker wrote:
As part-time working is clearly not acceptable, I have decided to leave my job and get benefits instead.
On 10 Jul 2013 at 1:40pm Uh-oh wrote:
That doesn't sound like much of an answer. Perhaps your children's father might be able to help you out?

On 10 Jul 2013 at 1:59pm Civil Servant wrote:
I work for the Council and I thoroughly enjoy having you pay for my cushty job with plenty of benefits. Ta very much.
You are correct.. it IS nice work if you can get it... shame you didn't get it, eh?

On 10 Jul 2013 at 5:20pm LDC Worker wrote:
Why do you presume I'm a woman?

On 10 Jul 2013 at 5:34pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
LDC is the worst council I have ever encountered as a resident, and I lived in Lambeth during the heyday of Red Ted.
Yesterday I tried to check details of Friday's road closure on the LDC website. They weren't on there. Phoned up to find out, the lady dealing with it had the afternoon off and no-one else could possibly find out for me.
They said the lady dealing with it would phone me back this morning and, credit where it's due, she did. She told me "All the information's on the website". When I told her it wasn't, I had to hang on while she checked and eventually she looked up the details somewhere else and told me.
How hard can it be to have a system that is sufficiently organised so that other staff can find out information when the relevant staff member is off, ffs? If you phoned my office, any of my colleagues could find out information for you because we have a functioning system. If we delivered the same sort of p!sspoor service as LDC, we'd be out of a job as the work would go elsewhere.
And when are they going to get shot of the telephonist/receptionist who is so rude she couldn't even get a job in Fawlty Towers?
Apart from the EHO who deals with rats, and the dog wardens (really helpful and efficient), I reckon if the council was taken over by forum members over the weekend we could probably do just as well as the shower that are there atm.

On 10 Jul 2013 at 5:44pm Clifford wrote:
Civil Servant wrote: 'I work for the Council...'

No, you don't, Troll. If you did work for the council you would know that a 'civil servant' works for central government, not local government.

On 10 Jul 2013 at 8:56pm Another LDC Worker wrote:
Oh ACT, you do make me laugh!!! Don't you work for ESCC, famous for people who spend the day walking around with a piece of paper in their hands, doing SOD all!!!

On 10 Jul 2013 at 10:03pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Errr, no, I don't work for ESCC, although I did once upon a time. I'm all too familiar with the "pretend to work" phenomenon.

On 11 Jul 2013 at 3:47pm Cllr Donna Edmunds wrote:
"Councillors Edmunds, Kent and Price. I'd be surprised if none of you were reading this.
Your thoughts?"
Totally agree, LDC should go. It does almost nothing of value, and the little good it does do could quite easily be done by someone else. Senior officers' time seems to be entirely given over to dreaming up gimmicky and expensive projects, and you can never get a straight answer out of them on anything (why was £200k put aside for the finishing off of The Crest, when the auction particulars listed the remaining works as 'some final fixtures and fittings, plus carpets to be laid'? Why didn't they get a survey done before purchase?)
I'm working on it. Give me time (single mother, disabled child and all that).

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Clouds 67:143
Lewes Clouds

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine