Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Kingston Cycle path

On 29 Jun 2018 at 10:34am Runna wrote:
Noticed last night that this has been extended from spring barn farm across fields behind the garden centre as far as swanborough. scenic route past horse paddocks..(and not so scenic sewage works) not open yet but nearly finished.. anyone know how far this will eventually go? Exciting times ;-)
On 29 Jun 2018 at 12:05pm Local Yokel wrote:
Its part of the Egrets Way cycle path which goes to Newhaven. A great idea in principle but parts of the path are not surfaced making it pretty useless after a heavy bout of rain,. If that bit were sorted then it would be good. There are also no signs whatsoever along the C7 -most "tourist" cyclists don't even know the path exists and it would certainly be a safer alternative to the C7. Surely a bit of publicity would generate some more use and interest?
On 29 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm Ross wrote:
What happens at Swanborough, is the route through the footpath to Iford or down to the river?
On 29 Jun 2018 at 1:45pm Penny Farthing wrote:
Even when they build a good cycle path, you still get a few people who insist on cycling on the main road - sometimes two abreast - because they're REAL cyclists and have as much right to use the road as anyone else. It's particularly dangerous on the C7. I've been knocked off my bike twice and will happily use a cycle path whenever I can.
On 29 Jun 2018 at 3:13pm Bradley wrote:
A lot of cyclists still cycle on the road, because the gravel on some of these cycle paths isn't great for road bike tyres. You end up with lots of punctures etc and steering isn't the same. The gravel paths are great for hybrid style bikes though.
On 29 Jun 2018 at 5:45pm Ross wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to put a surface on the Riverside path or a dedicated cycle path next to the footpath?
On 2 Jul 2018 at 9:35am Observer wrote:
Also, most "cycle paths" are nothing of the sort - they are shared paths, which means that you're at risk of a pedestrian collision unless you cycle at granny pace. A bit of a risk at certain times on the Ringmer path (although I still use it, with care).

On 2 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm Traditional cyclist wrote:
@ Observer- You could use a bit of common sense on a cycle path. If you are alone you can trundle along at 15-20 mph; but on approaching pedestrians you sound your BELL and pass when appropriate at lower speeds.
If there is a family with young children, pass with caution. They are tomorrow's adult cyclists. Please remember that the official maximum speed on "shared" paths is 8mph. We do not wish this to be enforced by jobsworths.
Finally, remember that all cycle lanes are free to users. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

On 2 Jul 2018 at 11:25pm Observer wrote:
Thanks for the advice, which I already follow (thus the 'with care') part of my post.
Would be nice if more drivers would adopt the same attitude on the shared surface that is the main carriageway. Waiting to overtake until there is a safe gap in the traffic coming in the other direction, and giving the cyclist plenty of space, for example.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station Sunset 81:132
Lewes Station Sunset

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington