Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

It is like a cult

On 5 Nov 2010 at 11:25am Bonfire Hater wrote:
Please can anyone explain why Cliffe feel they own Cliffe High Street. It is a nightmare every November 4th and is just getting worse.
Whilst Driving down there, Which you are still ALLOWED to do. People were being subjected to all sorts of abuse and firework throwing from them.
It was very tempting to slip on the accelorator and turn the steering wheel into them.
You are not above the law people.
On 5 Nov 2010 at 11:37am Shaymus wrote:
Arrest that woman!

On 5 Nov 2010 at 11:40am Evil Pope wrote:
Rain, rain...
On 5 Nov 2010 at 12:31pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
Because we do.
On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:04pm Wunt be druv wrote:
surely putting your foot down is assault with a deadly weapon. If you knew about badge night why the heck drive through there you muppet! Go in from the other side cos you are "allowed to..."
Wunt be druv
On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:31pm Northern bigot wrote:
All things bonfire have been celebrated for over 400 years! road hog!
This years best coverage is in the Daily Star ?????,including 2001 bindaloo Osama, a double page centre spread on bonfire tabs!!! Well done ! One thing i have noticed is a certain publicity loving Kent bonfire society, this year burning Rooney, last year Jordan and before that Cherie Blair, are getting a lot of coverage. They are not the home of bonfire, the whole thing about youre tab is to keep people guessing, secrecy up to the last minute, not showing off, to get people to turn up!
On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:36pm bonfire hater wrote:
You do not own the town. It has to stop I'm afraid. It is a public road.
And no it would be dangerous driving not assault with a deadly weapon.
As a firework is also a deadly weapon in the wrong hands, and directing them at traffic is outrageous. "You Muppet"

On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:51pm MC wrote:
It is truly incredible that no-one has been blinded by the idiots throwing rookies yet. You have to wonder if God is looking out for bonfire...

...and therefore what he must think of Catholics.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:55pm Bonfire Hater wrote:
I now see they have all started the Martin and nathan Winter appreciation again.
They commited Manslaughter and were rightly jailed. Get over it !

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:04pm Grunge wrote:
Who are they?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:17pm IMEYOU wrote:
Catholics are not the issue . . Popery is

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:23pm jonnyboy wrote:
My daughter went to badge night with friends who have small children and the rookie throwing retards had no consideration for the little ones. Exploding traffic cones and throwing rookies onto rooves so that they roll down and explode in mid-air. What a bunch of c*nts.
On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:26pm IMEYOU wrote:
Why did you let her go to badge night ?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:38pm jonnyboy wrote:
Because she's 21!!!!!

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:42pm IMEYOU wrote:
Why did she go to badge night ?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:44pm Bonfire Hater wrote:
Exactly Jonnyboy. And anyway why should it matter what age anyone is. Bonfire cretins !!!!
On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:56pm jonnyboy wrote:
She went because she likes bonfire. She was shocked by the sheer stupidity of some of those present.Isn't bonfire meant to be a family occasion?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 2:58pm IMEYOU wrote:
Wasnt a public bonfire though !

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:01pm Guidofawkes wrote:
Just to put a small point across, and from a cliffe member myself, a vast amount of the numpties that were throwing rookies where nothing to do with CBS. unfortunately it draws a large croud of people, many from out of town to the area! At times there last night I would say it was less than 50% Cliffe. If you know this event happens then why the hell did you attempt to drive down there? Where you looking for a reason to moan about something that has occurred in the town for many many years before you arrived on the planet! Just leave us alone to continue with this tradition, and stop trying to turn the country in to a boring nambi-pambi ghost town.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:11pm IMEYOU wrote:
I 2nd That .

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:37pm jonnyboy wrote:
Are CBS incapable of marshalling an event in a public place. If "numpties" were resposible for the rookie throwing then they should have been stopped. Maybe the police should start enforcing the law and issuing on the spot fines.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:45pm Interested. wrote:
It is a fineable offense is it? Wonder how much...?
On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:53pm Lewes Rouser wrote:
jollyboy and bolfire hater - perhaps it is "like a cult" but you two are talking like cults if you ask me - sorry but my keyboard is playing up sure you both get the gist though

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:53pm Independent thinker wrote:
There's something I've been curious about for years. How long have rookies been part of Bonfire? Generations, or are they a relatively recent replacement for something else? Just wondering how long people have been having this argument about them.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 3:58pm Lewes Rouser wrote:
bangers have ALWAYS been part of bonfire - a rose by any other name...

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:00pm jonnyboy wrote:
According to the `Firework Safety and the Law` page on the Direct Gov website.
It is against the law to; set off or throw fireworks in the street or other public places.
If found guilty by the courts, you could be fined upto £5000, and be imprisoned for up to three months.
You also may be liable for an on-the-spot fine of 80.
PS I'm not anti bonfire just anti STUPIDITY!

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:01pm Lewes Rouser wrote:
you are total stupidity if you ask me

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:37pm MC wrote:
Lewes Bonfire is a remarkable and extraordinary celebration, ranking amongst the worlds' best. Some of it's attraction is its wildness. It would be a shame if the event were ever stopped or controlled down to a whimper. There is nothing more likely to make this so than the (often drunken) cretins who throw rookies. It is almost certain that someone will be badly hurt by one of these at some point and it's likely that such an incident would force the authorities to clamp down and heavily control the event, discarding the hands-off softly-softly approach they currently employ. If the societies were wise they would very actively discourage anyone (not just their own members) from throwing fireworks.

BTW. Modern day rookies are many times more powerful than the bangers of my childhood.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:44pm Interested. wrote:
Aren't rookies 'Rook Scarers'?
I wonder where folk buy them from? Are they 'real' fireworks?
I always assumed they come on a string and folk cut them to separate them....
Are they louder than 'normal' bangers?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:48pm jrsussex wrote:
I am pro-bonfire but anyone attempting to defend the indiscriminate throwing of "rookies" is foolish. Some years ago in a town called Hockley, it's in Essex, a banger was thrown, unfortunately it went into the wellington of a young boy the result being his right foot had to be amputated. Extremely rare incident? Of course, but it proves it can happen, so lets be sensible and all have a good time.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:53pm jonnyboy wrote:
Rookies are not technically fireworks which is why it is legal for a 16 year old to buy them from an agricultural supplier. It is illegal to remove them from the string and they then are classified as Cat 1.1g pyrotechnics as they are not as originally made. I got this info from the UK Pyrotechics Society website.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 4:54pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Bonfire Hater would have had trouble driving her car down the street last night as for much of the time it was blocked by the cherry picker, quite legitimately hanging banners.
I was in the high street from about 6.30 till 10ish. There was some rather stupid behaviour from a few members of A N Other bonfire society, being reckless with rookies in the congested alleyway beside the Gardeners and from a few bikers who didn't seem to be anything to do with any society, also in the alleyway. There was also some idiotic behaviour from a young Comical Square member whose non-bonfire father happily checked that he had a lighter for his fireworks that were somewhat more powerful than rookies, then went in the pub and left him to let off these big bangers far too close to the watching crowd. He was spoken to by a senior member of the Cliffe and a member of CSBS and I didn't see him let any more off after that.

There was a group of Cliffe lads letting off some fairly big stuff in the street and they could have appeared to being dangerous to the unintiated. However, if you had watched them closely, you would have seen that they were mostly letting them off well into the middle of the street; when they were near the crowds of onlookers, the onlookers were invariably their own mates and were joining in; and that they were standing close enough to each firework to get their boot over it should any innocent passer-by wander across the road before it had gone off, which I saw them do numerous times. In the bonfire tradition, they were making a great racket, having great fun and doing it safely.
Non-bonfire people seem to think the spectacularly noisy Chinese crackers are dangerous, they are not, each bang is a tiny charge and they go off one at a time, so the blast is insignificant.
The only society I didn't see represented down there was Borough, but then I probably wouldn't have known any of them unless they were in their colours. There were large numbers of Southover and Commercial, a good sprinkling of South Street and Nevill members and a few Waterloo, plus large numbers of non-bonfire people all enjoying it. It is not a Cliffe B S event, it is a Lewes event. It just happens to take place in the Cliffe. A couple of years ago the police came down to keep an eye on things, they have obviously decided it's unnecessary and don't bother any more.
My award for stupidest behaviour of the night goes to two women with children in pushchairs (a pushchair is the most dangerous place for a child to be around fireworks, they are close the blast and you can't see a metre or so of road surface beneath them, so if a firework happened to roll underneath you wouldn't know about it until it went off). Not content with that, they chose to try and push the chairs through the most congested section of the street, causing trip hazards and general chaos. One man nearly fell over onto a firework after he tried to regain his balance after stepping back and almost falling onto the pushchair, thankfully he was grabbed by the people on either side of him.
Bonfire hater, you know what happens on the 4th. It's easily avoided.
I daresay next year you'll be moaning because the Ocado van was late with the shopping you'd wanted delivered that night. And not all Cliffe residents feel like you, many were hanging out of their windows watching and enjoying the fun.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 5:14pm Bonfire Hater wrote:
At the end of the day it is a public thoroughfare. Who did they obtain permission from to block the highway with a cherry picker ? Did they have a banksman with them ?
Why should people not be able to take their kids down the Cliffe in pushchairs on November the 4th.
It is time a lot of the idiots were nicked and charged with the offences they carry out. I'm afraid most of the idiots wear striped jumpers.
TAKE OFF THE BONFIRE INBRED BLINKERS

On 5 Nov 2010 at 5:54pm Peter Byron wrote:
Health and Safety???? Rubbish. Live, let live and take chances or life will be long and boring. Now get off here and enjoy the fun we have waited 364 days for today!!!! Cheers Big Ears, Peter

On 5 Nov 2010 at 11:32pm troll hater wrote:
@Bonfire Hater
Obvious troll is obvious

On 6 Nov 2010 at 2:51am IMEYOU wrote:
Hurrah !

On 6 Nov 2010 at 9:34am Chuck wrote:
Bonfire Hater, did you post as Lambretta last year?

On 6 Nov 2010 at 8:44pm staff wrote:
agreed, bonfire hater- troll

On 7 Nov 2010 at 12:07am Lewes Rouser wrote:
Hey have you noticed Bonfire Hater is an anagram - of self-righteous, arogant twat?

On 7 Nov 2010 at 8:29am Goatman wrote:
I used to live in East London and, let me tell you, there was a different road closed EVERY DAY of the week (not exxaggerating) often this was for highly inefficient cable installation, roadworks etc. etc. If Cliffe High St is impassable for just 2 days per year, you're very lucky! And in my opinion it's well worth it. Bonfire is very important for the town's unique sense of identity and the great thing about it is that it's TRULY an event that comes from the grass roots; it is not run, organised or policed from the top down and it's massively important that it stays that way or the spirit of it will be lost. THANKS to the Bonfire Societies for putting on a really amazing show. I feel priviledged to be part of it.

On 7 Nov 2010 at 1:50pm Finally got my goat wrote:
Despite everyone's need to be totally pro or totally against issues on here the lack of clarity is remarkable sometimes. Badge Night is just that - badges being given to re- joining members in return for subscriptions, for Commercial it happens at the Ellie, Waterloo at the Lamb and for Cliffe at the Dorset - not Cliffe High Street. In the high street a cherry picker is used to hang the banners, done at night and not during the day so there is the least disruption to business, residents and services etc, police and all agencies are aware and as previously said the police have had a presence before but are now reduced unless they attend in plain clothes and we don't don't know. I would entirely agree that the majority of the crowd who gathered were not Cliffe, unless Cliffe now choose red and black or yellow and black as their colours or worse, high street M&S livery. People have a distinct hatred of the white and black on this forum but I honestly don't they care, but I do think they care about their banners and have seen them step in and deal with people who behave in a way that is idiotic -even when it is ' one of their own' If other socities attend you would hope it would be out of respect rather than an opportunity to behave in a way that wouldn't be tolerated in their own society. It is a shame that we opt for the easy route of blame rather than take responsibilty for our own decisions about risk and safety and then accept the consequences. After all, if you are local, you know this happens on the 4th at about 8pm so is it advisable to attempt to drive down the road at that time, probabbly not seeing as you can only access Bear Yard or Harvey's Yard from that route and Morris Road is accessibly Cliffe Corner. You might enjoy bonfire, but you have to decide if putting a small child in a buggy, which is going to be below most peoples field of vision in a crowded place, where your experience is that there is likely to be loud bangs which will be amplified due to the shape of a buggy, is that safe? Probably not and probably very distressing for the child. At the end of the day - each to his own and if you make a decision take the consequences.

On 7 Nov 2010 at 10:52pm IMEYOU wrote:
"jonnyboy" . . Stop evading the question . You or your chavy daughter and friends with a pushchair or two went to the badge night knowing through heresay that it can be interesting there on the 4th . You and said responsible daughter and friends would never venture into the unknown with babes in arms would you ? . Why did you or said responsible bonfire loving daughter decide to choose 8pm the 4th for a stroll down the Cliffe , When bonfire night is on the 5th ? . . Try Legoland fireworks next year !

On 8 Nov 2010 at 11:39am jonnyboy wrote:
"IMEYOU". I'mj not sure what question I'm evading. My daughter went down to badge night because she likes bonfire (and was a member of Cliffe for many years). Did I say they took the little ones in buggies? My point was about the throwing of rookies. Guidofawkes has said that this was due mostly to non CBS members, a point I'm happy to accept, though it doesn't make it any less stupid. Do you approve of such behaviour?
P.S. It's chavvy not chavy!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

Im sure one of your conspiracy theories will come true, and despite all of them probably being bogus nonsense, that one bullseye... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine