Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Is this a suitable person for this role?

On 8 Jul 2014 at 7:31pm Amazed wrote:
Can we believe this woman is an unbiased person for this role? She is a Tory , from an upper middle class family. Her brother was a leading Tory in the Heath Government. What is the profile of many of the men under suspicion of child sex abuse?:-
Retired senior judge Elizabeth Butler-Sloss, 80, has been named as the chairman of a wide-ranging review into historical child sex abuse.
She is the sister to the late Lord Chancellor, Lord Havers, making her aunt to the actor Nigel Havers and his brother, Philip.
Lady Butler-Sloss went to Wycombe Abbey School but never to university and was called to the Bar in 1955.
She became a High Court judge in 1979 at the age of 46 and in 1988 became the first woman appointed to the Court of Appeal.
In her early career she stood while pregnant as Conservative candidate in the Labour stronghold of Vauxhall and lost.

On 8 Jul 2014 at 7:40pm Rude boy wrote:
What cads would let a lady stand when pregnant ? .A true Tory would offer her his seat.
On 9 Jul 2014 at 7:02am Numpty wrote:
The fact she is 80 bothers me more....let's face it, by the time you are 80 most of the brain cells have long gone
On 9 Jul 2014 at 8:57am Grunge wrote:
Is that what happened to yours?
On 9 Jul 2014 at 9:05am Numpty wrote:
hehehe...come off it. think of your old granny in charge
On 9 Jul 2014 at 9:54am trooper wrote:
"Numpty" I must comment in ref to your postings you have named yourself very well, it suits you.
On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:03am Zebedee wrote:
She's been appointed to not expose politicians, to cover up the affair and not obscure the truth. There is no doubt about that. What is amazing us that the Tories are so nakedly brazen in their expectation that UK citizens will accept this. They really do think we are fools!

Useful link...

Check it out here »

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:05am someone else wrote:
Amazed - the key issue is that it was Butler-Sloss's own brother Michael Havers who as Lord Chancellor prevented the publication of Geoffrey Dickens' original dossier. The one which remains 'vanished' to this day. Corrupt? Nope, just the Tory establishment covering its backside.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:22am Zebedee wrote:
Nicely put.
On 9 Jul 2014 at 11:01am red ken wrote:
Tories. As corrupt as ever. Appoint some old fossil to muddy the waters so the paedophiles and abusers cant be traced.
On 9 Jul 2014 at 11:52am Historian wrote:
@numpty It's no worse than having your children in Governemnt and Opposition !!
On 9 Jul 2014 at 12:04pm Numpty wrote:
Cognitive ability declines from late 20's. I'm a scientist.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 12:17pm Historian wrote:
Well I for one definitely don't want a 20 year old Prime Minister !!

On 9 Jul 2014 at 1:20pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
Have just seen lady butler sloss on the news, she could be jimmy savills sister, looks just like him!

On 9 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm Numpty wrote:
Now then now then....where's my murray mints and tena lady pads
On 9 Jul 2014 at 1:40pm trooper wrote:
"Numpty" So you think that all old people are incapable of intelligent thought, and you say you are a scientist, I would ask what scientific discipline would that be ??? I only ask so I may compare it to my own, as I am one of your "old people" and still very very active.
On 9 Jul 2014 at 3:00pm Grunge wrote:
I agree with Trooper. Not everyone loses their marbles with old age. I am sure Mrs Butler Sloss is as bright as a button. And, as has been said, has integrity. For God's sake stop trying to fight a "class war" on every issue you can find.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 4:31pm bastian wrote:
Surely you aren't called for jury service after 70, so hy choose a judge over 80, particularly if she has connections with the party, which she obviously has-isn't that subjudicey (no I can't spell it but you know what I mean).
Also, if we twet about it, you know, us plebs, they can prosecute-free counrty?, discuss....

On 9 Jul 2014 at 7:19pm old curiosity wrote:
What is old today ? is trooper just retired c.65 or even as old as 85 . Yes I`m curious.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 9:31pm Zebedee wrote:
Age is an issue but tiny compared to her being the sister of Nigel Havers, who appears to gave been quite involved in the original coverup.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 9:49pm Clifford wrote:
Peter Cook summed it up, didn't he, when he said that in most jobs they retire you when you're 65 (it was a long time ago) but for judges that's when you're appointed. Of course she'll have to stand down. Whoever appointed her was stupid rather than corrupt, I'm sure.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:01pm oldbutintouch wrote:
She is obviously part of the establishment, and manifestly wrong for this role, but at least she isn't a freemason!

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:15pm Grunge wrote:
Zebedee, pay attention before you comment. What has Nigel Havers, the actor, got to do with it. It was his father.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:46pm Zebedee wrote:
Sorry, my bad. I meant former Tory MP and Attorney General Sir Michael Havers - who also happened to be one of the establishment figures alleged to have argued for the protection of the identities of VIPs accused of child abuse.

On 9 Jul 2014 at 10:51pm Zzz.. wrote:
The Tories really do think that we are fools. Are we?

On 9 Jul 2014 at 11:34pm Border Control wrote:
Who says she isn't a Lady Mason ? Do they count anyway ?

On 10 Jul 2014 at 8:19am alawyerwrites wrote:
Just for the record: judges have to retire at 70. A very few may be daft before then but none are senile.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 9:37am trooper wrote:
"Old Curiosity" You pose a good question, age is only a number, as for me since you ask your latter figure is closer than your former.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 9:54am trooper wrote:
I apologise I meant to add that I have little interest in the subject matter, I object to the inference that all people who reach into "old age" are perceived to have lost their marbles.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 11:11am Grunge wrote:
Agreed, Trooper. But isn't that just the arrogance of Youth? Or should I say "Yoof"?
On 10 Jul 2014 at 12:05pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I find this a bit sad. When she was a Family Division judge I was working as a legal clerk and she heard 3 cases that I worked on.
She has a formidable intellect, tempered with shedloads of common sense and compassion. Her judgments were among the best I've ever read.
Anyone who wants to see the quality of her analytical skills and her judgement would do well to read her report into the Cleveland child abuse cases. It really is an excellent piece of work.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 1:29pm Harding. wrote:
She was a two time Tory candidate. That's all we need to know. Establishment poodle with a posh voice.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 3:46pm bastian wrote:
No one is disputing her talent a as judge, just that she has too closer attachment to the case to be legally allowed to take up the post now-even she should be able to see the conflict of interests.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm Clifford wrote:
Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote: 'She has a formidable intellect, tempered with shedloads of common sense and compassion.'

That, as you know, has got absolutely nothing to do with it. The problem is how cose she is to a person involved in what she is supposed to be dispassionately investigating. If we were talking about a trial she would stand herself down.

On 10 Jul 2014 at 6:52pm oilbarron wrote:
Don't know what all the fuss is about. If there was a Labour government they would choose a labour judge if you could find one. What did everyone expect. We are the little people just accept it. You can complain as much as you like. It changes nothing and never will !
On 10 Jul 2014 at 8:10pm Tory Voice wrote:
She is absolutely perfect for the job.
On 11 Jul 2014 at 1:44am Con Voice wrote:
Absolutely perfect for the job, if our paedophile ring becomes public knowledge, it will take us decades to recover, eh TV?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

And there was me, thinking it was some new low-impact exercise regime. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell