Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Is the Ouse full of Poos?

On 26 Jun 2010 at 12:54pm Smiler wrote:
Does anyone know why the river is brown at the moment

On 26 Jun 2010 at 1:12pm MC wrote:
Lack of oxygen/rainfall/flow. Too much of the water is being abstracted by the water companies and in summer the flow in the Ouse reduces to almost nothing. BTW, it is estimated that the large majority of the water "flowing" in the in the Ouse at these times is the output from the 38 sewage treatment works (STW) emptying into the river catchment.

Think about that next time you consider swimming or kayaking in the Ouse in summer. The outflow from the 38 STWs is carbon filtered but not UV treated, so stuff like bacteria and hormones go straight through into the river.

Yuk.

On 26 Jun 2010 at 3:58pm Terry Waite's Allotment wrote:
I noticed this as well today,pity the poor pigeon cooling down in it!

On 26 Jun 2010 at 4:34pm Piggles wrote:
Hormones? No wonder my dog is so big.

On 27 Jun 2010 at 11:26am Ms Doubtfire wrote:
That explains the moops from all the Ouse water.

On 27 Jun 2010 at 11:31am Sam Spam wrote:
sorry all you conspiracy theorists but it's that colour because the combination of sunlight and heat on sea-water which flows up our bit of the river starts to break down the minerals and veg in the riverbank turning the water brown. it's got nothing to do with SWTW outflows which do not discharge sewage into the river untreated, or BP or anything else!.....

On 27 Jun 2010 at 11:54am Piggles wrote:
Isn't the river always brown anyways?

On 27 Jun 2010 at 10:37pm MC wrote:
The river is brown above the Mills, in the non-tidal section of the Ouse. The the low water is low in oxygen and turbid not in the least part because of the low flow which is exacerbated by the amount of water Southern Water extract from the river to feed our water supply (not merely at Barcombe reservoir, but the Brighton aquifer that supplies the westerly streams is also depleted). I did not say that the colour of the water at Lewes was due to sewage. I merely noted that often at this time of the year over 50% of the water flowing in the Ouse can be from the 38 sewage treatment work outfalls. (As it happens at the moment the water from these works often looks clearer than the river/stream water it is flowing into.)
The SWTs filter and treat the sewage. They do not UV treat it though which means that hormones and bacteria are passed into the river. In flood conditions the water companies are allowed to pump raw untreated sewage (including solids) in to the Sussex Ouse, and do so.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Meridian Line 72:132
Lewes Meridian Line

Hello. I was also recently looking for the perfect place for a photo shoot. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy