Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Is the DFL remark bringing out the racists?

On 25 Feb 2013 at 2:43pm sue wrote:
I have just had an unfortunate encounter with a fellow dog walker who was enraged at my dogs playfulness and looking for a fight.
His first issue was to state that I must be 'Down from London', only an insult to a Lewes residance, when I protested that i was actually from Wolverhampton he called me a "Paki Lover" Yes!! and went into how he has been here all his life and I should go back up there.
I am deeply shocked and upset by this foul remark and have started missing the tolerance of the multi cultural society I grew up in even tho i have lived in east Sussex most of my life.
I think that the acceptable DFL remark amougst locals needs to be re- thought out.
On 25 Feb 2013 at 3:42pm thor wrote:
theres plenty of the master race in this town

On 25 Feb 2013 at 4:29pm Old Cynic wrote:
Sounds horrid Sue - where did this happen?

On 25 Feb 2013 at 5:14pm Teacher wrote:
Sorry about that Sue, we are not all like that in Lewes. It would be nice to name and shame the racist prat.

On 25 Feb 2013 at 6:15pm Compass wrote:
This DFL thing amuses me, at some point in time everyone in Lewes whether it is themselves , their parents or Grandparents have been down ,up or across from somewhere. I suppose the assumption is that if your down from London you must be loaded and middle class, is this necessarily true? Probably not. Personally I'm DFL , AFW, UFS etc etc .Wouldn't it be great if we all remained where we were born!!!!!!!!

On 25 Feb 2013 at 6:39pm Ordinary Gal wrote:
That's shocking, I was born in Lewes and whilst I admit I find the whole DFL thing amusing, I just see it/use it as banter, just as I get called a bumpkin. The way that it's now being used as a form of racism is making me re-think using it even as a joke. There's no excuse for racism, if using that term is in some way provoking racism then there's no way I want to be a part of that. I really hope he doesn't think he's representing Lewes, because he certainly isn't, he's representing stupidity and ignorance. I'm sorry that you had that experience, all I can say is that there are bad elements everywhere and every now and again we are unfortunate enough to bump into them. I love the mix that we have in Lewes, even if that means we have to accept the bad elements, rough with the smooth and all that. Without the mix we would stagnate and be the poorer for it.

On 25 Feb 2013 at 7:39pm Blip wrote:
A perceptive comment, Ordinary Gal.
On 25 Feb 2013 at 9:50pm Sepp Deitricht wrote:
Yes it's all a right wing plot. Must not dare mention someone's colour, sex, class, or heaven forbid where they're from. Save us from the fascists !!! SQ where are you in our hour of need ??
On 25 Feb 2013 at 10:11pm Just_Sarah wrote:
Okay..Sepp. I am white, female, middle class and born in North London and moved here in Jan 2000. That was easy.
Now. Please tell me why this thread is anyone here being paranoid about a right wing plot, when what it actually is questioning is threatening behaviour and whether the phrase "Paki Lover" is one that Lewes can be proud of.
Nobody was at a hustings. Nobody was campaigning.
Somebody was WALKING THEIR DOG!!!
On 25 Feb 2013 at 10:17pm A Person wrote:
Why do you need SQ to tell you that this is unacceptable and horrible? These aren't fascists: these are just sad little people looking for someone else to blame for their own failure. Not dangerous or to be feared: just unacceptable ill-educated little morons who can't even spell the name of their hero.
On 25 Feb 2013 at 10:43pm Martin Borperson wrote:
Just because someone called you a paki lover and a dfl doesnt mean that every one who uses dfl also uses paki lover. Get a grip love. All you're doing is reinforcing the general view that most dfls (or their ilk) are complete tw@ts

On 26 Feb 2013 at 2:15am Just_Sarah wrote:
Bit harsh, surely...No problem with DFL as a phrase. I use it about anyone who arrived after I did. But it's a nasty experience nontheless and then some silly pseudo satirist like Sepp says it's all about everybody being too PC these days.
A bad tempered man with a dog is the same whereever you are in the country, surely?

On 26 Feb 2013 at 5:34am padstrr wrote:
Im proud to be from London and l love living in lewes.
So DFL shouldvyske ownership of the word so idiots like this sound stupid when next time he cals you itjust laugh in his face.
Where did this happen ?

On 26 Feb 2013 at 8:10am Billy's Boy wrote:
Indeed paddy boy this bad tempered dog walker must be 'hounded' out

On 26 Feb 2013 at 8:41am sue wrote:
Interesting to see the varied optinions on this, please notice that I have asked If the term is acceptable and put it out there as a question.
Sepp, I really don't think my background was relevent to the behaviour of my dog.
I was suprised that this guy was incenced that I was (he assumed) from London which is why I want to question the use of this term as in this case it formed the starting point of his hatred. I have heard this term alot in jest since moving to Lewes two years ago. I find it really odd as every town has people from every where living in it, plus the assumptions that all people from London are the same is ridiculous.
For those of you that asked the incident occured near the race course behind the Nevil.
Oh and yes I am sure that the majority of people in Lewes do not think this way.
On 26 Feb 2013 at 11:36am Tosh wrote:
I assume you dog was on a lead in a public place sue ? Probably not ? . To be racist all the dfl's I was one in 1970 , would need to be recognised as a race , the term paki is an abbreviation of Pakistani , like jock is to a Scott' or Taff and so on , it's a fine line when some one uses it in an aggressive manner though , I find whilst out and about dog owners can be a little lapse , letting their animal jump up at someone or run loose , Normaly followed by it will lick you to death , do I want to be licked to death not really , or bitten ,
On 26 Feb 2013 at 11:56am Depressed Mum wrote:
Yeah, I hate it when a dog jumps up at you, covers you in mud, frightens you...and then the dog owner either a) says nothing i.e. no apology or b) says 'they are really friendly you know'....makes me rather cross. I've folks can't control their dogs, please keep them on a lead

On 26 Feb 2013 at 12:57pm Ben wrote:
It just boils down to jealousy. Its a very English trait to despise those that have done well or better than oneself.
So all you DFL haters, I have pity on you because jealousy is a hideous affliction and those that 'hate' in reality, 'hate' themselves.
On 26 Feb 2013 at 2:01pm The man wrote:
"Dfl" it's not where your from, it'a an attitude. I.E all locals are yocals with a limited capability of intelligence and should be glad that "superior" people should want to come and drag their homestead into the 21st century.
It's not jealousy, it's anger and frustration at people who do not integrate because they think (sic) they are superior to the local bumpkin. Take note David Smith.
On 26 Feb 2013 at 2:01pm Tosh wrote:
Did anyone say they hate dfl's ? And have they done better ? Not in many cases , spending 3 hours a day in a stinking train brilliant !
On 26 Feb 2013 at 2:02pm sue wrote:
Tosh, kind of the point that making assumptions leads to hatred. Assumptions about so called DFL's stc
He assumed I was not from around here, why was that relevent? are you assuming that my dog and myself were behaving in a manner that warrents racist insults?

On 26 Feb 2013 at 2:03pm The man (reprise) wrote:
Also, what breed was their dog in the initial incident?A lot of people walk their dogs Behind Nevill and it's pretty much one large community,everybody knows everybody. It wouldn't be hard to weed out the culprit

On 26 Feb 2013 at 3:31pm Tosh wrote:
@sue I was assuming nothing just asking the questions , which you haven't answered , we are also assuming that the original insulting dog walker , might in fact not be local , might be a dfl himself , as ever these post lack info , just sounds like it was a bad day , your dog was not entirely under control ,this lead to his Outburst the paki comment is unpleasant and not required , as for dfl it's just a term us bumpkins use for fun , get over it
On 26 Feb 2013 at 3:43pm we r in your town wrote:
there is only one race the white race get a grip and look at your country goin down the drain infested by immagrant scum

On 26 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm Helen wrote:
Hi town are you a racist?
On 26 Feb 2013 at 5:16pm Sparky wrote:
"we r in your town".....I think you'll find at least one other race of which you are certainly one.
The ignorant race who can't spell..."immagrant"!!!!!!!!

On 26 Feb 2013 at 7:13pm thicko wrote:
sparky

On 26 Feb 2013 at 7:37pm I was there wrote:
Sue, Are you the silly cow who's staffy spent ten minuets worrying the pregnant sheep at land port bottom while you ran around in a useless manner?? That guy who gave you the mother of bollockings did you a favour. This happened early morning yesterday, may not have been you but it was bloody entertaining :-)
On 26 Feb 2013 at 8:36pm realist wrote:
I think there is a good case for limiting immigration but you are not going to have much credibility if you can't even spell the word are you?
On 26 Feb 2013 at 8:39pm Tv addict wrote:
Watching motorway partol @ 20.38 pm and an Aussie short for Australian , non offensive . His real name was pip paki ! Rasist I think not ,
On 26 Feb 2013 at 8:41pm Tosh wrote:
So maybe the truth is out ! ! !
On 26 Feb 2013 at 9:40pm Expat Two wrote:
Jesus Christ TV Addict, you're really setting the bar, eh?
Seriously mate, what school did you not go to?
On 26 Feb 2013 at 9:43pm grumpy dad wrote:
What a nasty set of comments.
On 26 Feb 2013 at 9:59pm sue wrote:
no! It looks as if this forum has brought out the racists. Is there a large BNP following in this town?

On 26 Feb 2013 at 10:02pm grumpy dad wrote:
I think it's the same in any town the issue has been highlighted before with the Smith article in the Sunday Times.
On 26 Feb 2013 at 10:28pm Expat Two wrote:
I‚??ve made the mistake of getting involved in this, when I really shouldn‚??t. Immigrants, unmarried mothers, welfare claimants, teachers ‚?? the media will always encourage us to think they‚??re to blame when things get tough, so long as the heat is taken off the fabulously wealthy who wrecked the economy with their rapacious greed, who we‚??ve bailed out with our taxes while they won‚??t pay any, and who are continuing to accrue eye-watering levels of wealth on the back of our increasing debt and falling living standards. Inevitably some people fall for it, maybe we should just ignore it rather than polarise ourselves against each other.
On 27 Feb 2013 at 12:49am IMEYOU wrote:
A DFL is a person that likes to spend two hours each way travelling to the Smoke to work an eight hour shift, but never knows or understands what the town they live in has to offer! Or a person from London that has discovered little quaint Lewes even though it was here before London!
A real Lewesian knows what he/she has got and appreciates it, and does not harp about it or will be druved to think otherwise !

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

What happened to the direct train to Ashford? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo