Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Is Lewes Racist?

On 30 Sep 2010 at 1:40pm Uncle Wiffle wrote:
Since I left Lewes a while ago I am wondering if the town has become racist? Some of my friends have told me that there has been a lot in the press about racists in the town.
When I lived in Lewes there were a few Asians and one black family. Are they still there?
On 30 Sep 2010 at 1:42pm Ian Smith wrote:
Twat!

On 30 Sep 2010 at 2:34pm Deelite wrote:
No Asian or blacks here now. They all left, afraid for their lives, after reading a stupidly misleading article in a crap newspaper.

On 30 Sep 2010 at 4:01pm aggggghhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
Arrrgskjdfhgsdjfghjsdhfgjsdfgjsdfgjdsfhgdsjfdsfsdfj *implodes*
On 30 Sep 2010 at 4:28pm Ali wrote:
Hang on a bit, what am I missing? I just double checked in the mirror to make sure I was asian. It's confirmed I am. Should I have left lewes?

On 30 Sep 2010 at 6:50pm queequeg wrote:
Are but you don't live in Lewes if you're the famous Ali at Shanaz. If you were we'd have to run you out of town!

On 30 Sep 2010 at 7:16pm wrote:
I spend more time in this town than people living in it! QQ get on the phone n order a curry will ya mate!

On 30 Sep 2010 at 9:24pm ??? wrote:
wowican't believe we're this subject again, well people have to be more open and seek out the truth carefully insted of following, but hey how should i know i'm just a ethnic person from lewes that should be silenced by people who dont want to have a genral dicussion , or friendly appoarach to people or newcomers.
Oh and Uncle Wiffle you no need to worry their are some asians and blacks in lewes and lewes is a nice place/area i'm greatfull i live here it's a shame that you/ your family doesn't live in lewes anymore you seem very friendly and nice soi'm glad i gotthe chanceto say hello to you . so HELLO to Uncle Wiffle dont worry mate i'll be strong
p.s. dont judge before you read carefully
On 30 Sep 2010 at 9:59pm MC wrote:
Have you seen the past discussions about this subject? If not read them and then see if it is worth posting more. I think everyone else here is fed up of the subject.

General consensus: Live and let Live.
And this even extends to the writer of said sad article.
On 30 Sep 2010 at 10:56pm IMEYOU wrote:
Black is black
I want my baby back
It's grey
It's grey
Since she went a-way o - o
What can I do
'Cause I
I'm feeling blue

On 30 Sep 2010 at 10:59pm MC wrote:
Hire a hooker?

On 30 Sep 2010 at 11:27pm IMEYOU wrote:
lol

On 30 Sep 2010 at 11:49pm punter wrote:
Where is the Lewes red light district anyway,I've never found it!
On 1 Oct 2010 at 1:26am queequeg wrote:
Ali, I'll be in for my normal chicken dansak madras hot tonight! Make it a goodun!
On 1 Oct 2010 at 1:33pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Ooh that sounds good. Does Shanaz deliver ?
On 1 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm Clifford wrote:
If anyone from an ethnic minority tells me they've experienced racism in Lewes, I'll take their word for it. But I'll take what a white liberal tells me with a pinch of salt.

On 1 Oct 2010 at 2:47pm queequeg wrote:
Brixtonbelle,
Yes they do deliver but not sure if the radius would cover you. Well worth the trip if it doesn't!
On 1 Oct 2010 at 3:59pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Webmaster I am surprised you have let this resurface. It is done and dusted. We do not want the upset, and outrage,our lovely town of Lewes felt when that MORON wrote his wholly inaccurate, nasty work in a national paper. I for one have put it to bed, and hopefully the intelligent,like minded people will want to also!
On 1 Oct 2010 at 5:06pm jrsussex wrote:
Decent Cirizen - Agree with you. I think the first post has a racist tone to it. Is Uncle Wiffle simply on a wind-up and trying to get some racist people on the forum????? If not what is the point of him asking silly questions.

On 1 Oct 2010 at 6:04pm queequeg wrote:
Thought I'd hijack the thread to something sensible. I think Shanaz is best because you can taste the fresh spices, sometimes chew on them as well. Lovely lumps of chicken as well.

On 1 Oct 2010 at 7:45pm Stig of the dump wrote:
sorry queequeg, Spice Merchants are head and tails better Shanaz. But at least you got a bit of free advertising as you quite obviously work there

On 1 Oct 2010 at 7:50pm SHOPPING PIRATE wrote:
YARGH!
h t t p : / / w w w . t h o m s onlocal.com/White-Stuff/0354322407603433000/map/companyinfo.html
Need I say more ?!?!?

On 1 Oct 2010 at 7:54pm Peter Byron wrote:
No Lewes is not racist, I have had girls of all nationalities, so go figure my friends. PS. 2nd wife from Kenya, does that prove I am not a racist? Mind she she was a bitch I must say, but a darling as well. Good to you all. Peter

On 2 Oct 2010 at 11:31am queequeg wrote:
Stig,
How tiresome of you, one only has to say anything positive about something on a Forum and someone says "you obviously work for them".
It's obvious from the thread that Shanaz came up because Ali posted a comment. Recognising the name I replied a bit flippantly.
Then thoroughly bored by the thread topic I chose to redirect it to a subject that had already been mentioned by three people in the thread. Is that so terrible.
Each to his own but I find SM service and presentation excellent but all meals come out the same colour, texture and pretty close in taste. I have never found cardimum seeds, cloves,bay leaves or bark which I guess means that they mostly use powder form spices and not the original stuff as they do at the Shanaz. At SM the chicken pieces are small and not much texture to it. At the Shanaz the chicken has good size and texture.
A keen customer of Shanaz.

On 2 Oct 2010 at 12:00pm Stig of the dump wrote:
There's positive Queequeg and there's obsessive and yours is the latter.
My brother in law is called Ali, if he posts on here, are you going to tell him how wonderful his Indian restaurant is (even though he doesn't own one). Thought not.
Anyway, it must be time for your shift, jog on now.

On 2 Oct 2010 at 1:52pm queequeg wrote:
Stig,
You are definitely stone age!

On 2 Oct 2010 at 8:27pm Frostie wrote:
No wonder so many people don't bother posting on here anymore. Can't anyone be positive about anything without people jumping down their throats? Most of you are all so negative. queequeg, the Shahnaz indeed do a lovely curry, although I tend to go to the one in Ringmer nowadays. Thats's even better than the Spice Merchant. By the way, I do not work at any restaurants, although I did work at The Chalk Pit in 1986.

On 3 Oct 2010 at 12:14am Ruby Connoisseur wrote:
I've had a Shanaz, I've been to Spice Merchant and the one round the back of Spice Merchant.
I've got to say that all three didnt tick all the right boxes for me, Spice Merchant do lovely onion bhajees. All three had excessive oil, bearing in mind they were all takeaway so the food was sat in the container a while before consumption.
I'm a vindaloo/Phall man, they just were not hot enough for my S&M style depraved mouth & digestive system raping which I subject myself to on a regular basis, washed down with strong cold lager.
There's nothing like feeling that massive burp blow past my swollen, painful, throbbing chilli-lips. I'm not racist, I love a Ruby

On 4 Oct 2010 at 4:10pm Egon Ronay wrote:
I have eaten in or had takeaways from the Shannaz many times, and never had a bad one. Meantime have been to the Spice Merchant 3 times and had a cr@p meal each time (wrong food / tasteless sauce with a few lumps of meat in it / only just warm / rude waiter). Now I could just be unlucky, but I won't bother taking the chance again.
Dilraj was good 10 years ago but not any more. Chaulas good though if you fancy something a bit different to the usual Indian restaurant food.

On 4 Oct 2010 at 7:41pm Peter Byron wrote:
Get a good old Jalfrazee (sorry Tiger beer affecting my spelling) from Waitrose, can't beat it. Peter

On 5 Oct 2010 at 12:07pm Uncle Wiffle wrote:
I'm a little confused?

On 5 Oct 2010 at 12:33pm simon wrote:
A confused Londoner, who'd have thunk it ?

On 5 Oct 2010 at 8:58pm Peter Byron wrote:
Confused? I'm sure you are Wiffle, one minute you are Auntie the next Uncle, move to Brighton my friend, you will find yourself. Best, Peter

On 6 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm Dominic Henry wrote:
I lived in Lewes for 5 years. I moved to Lewes in 2002 and in 2007 I left. The reason I left was simply because because of racial hatred. My mother and father are both Jamaican Catholic's who moved to England in 1974 where they raised me and my siblings. I had never encountered racial hatred until I moved to Lewes. When me and my girlfriend moved to Lewes in 2002 we thought it was a lovely place, full of historic sites, good schools and things to do - an environment perfect for raising a child (something we had been planning on doing). How much more wrong could we have been? The number of times I encountered racial abuse is horrific, on the bus, on the train. on the street...everywhere. Then came our first 5th of November, 'Bonfire Night'. We had not actually heard about 'Bonfire Night' and it's popularity in Lewes until late September, in a conversation we were having with friends. The idea of celebrating of the torture of several Catholic men disgusts me. After 5 years of abuse I lost my tolerance completely and decided to leave for good. This was no place to raise a child.

On 6 Oct 2010 at 10:32pm Hmmmm..... wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....Sorry folks.I'm a bit speechless....

On 7 Oct 2010 at 1:50pm brixtonbelle wrote:
That's a shocking account, Dominic. I think you've got your facts a bit wrong about bonfire in Lewes, but obviously that was a contributory factor. I still don't believe Lewes to be anymore or less racist than any other town or city (in fact I think in cities its easier to hide racism) in the UK, but it does imply that nowhere can sit back and be smug about this issue and everyone needs to be aware of how they may cause offence, even if unwittingly.
However it sounds like you suffered from targeted abuse - did you report any of it to authorities, the police, the bus company, the train company ? Could you be sure that the abuse you got came specifically from people living in Lewes if you were on a moving bus/train at the time ? People have to learn that this is unacceptable behaviour and I guess you probably get tired of challenging it, but I do think you report any such incidents as it is an offence.

On 7 Oct 2010 at 6:42pm Peter Byron wrote:
Oh B, you are just perfect, so reasonable in an unreasonable world. Best Peter x

On 7 Oct 2010 at 7:15pm simon wrote:
Forgive me if I sound a little sceptical regarding Dominic Henry's post but I am intrigued to know where he and his parents lived from 1974 until 2002 without being aware of "racial hatred". Bearing in mind that the 70's and early 80's were blighted by several major race riots and groups like the NF were somehow fashionable. I simply can't believe that Lewes during the last 10 years opened your eyes to race hate.
You seem to have got the motivation behind Bonfire completely wrong as well, this smacks of an attempt to smear the town or at least back up the nonsense ramblings of DS.
Forgive me if I am wrong.

On 7 Oct 2010 at 7:58pm Peter wrote:
Well said imon. Peterr

On 7 Oct 2010 at 8:48pm Peter Byron wrote:
Mr Henry is a misfit in my opinion, he is looking for a perfect world yet is such an imperfect person, he needs to remove the LARGE chip from his shoulder, learn to love his fellow man and as my wild son says, get a f.... life!!!! Best to him and all you charming Lewes folk, Peter. PS Mr Henry, why not find Smithie for an evening out, you two would have a blast LOL

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Baxters Print Works Lewes 8:132
Baxters Print Works Lewes

To be fair, I think Dominic Cummings staying put is actually doing the Labour party a favour. He's manipulated people to become... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams