Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Independent Gem Deserving to be Supported

On 26 Aug 2018 at 9:55am Oodles of Noodles wrote:
Went yesterday to Pestle & Mortar on Lansdown Terrace for 2nd time. It really is a gem of a cafe/grocers that so need supporting.
If you like truly authentic Thai noodle dishes, soups & curries then you really must try it. Vegetarian options good too.
Lovely staff, and the nicest cafe garden in Lewes in my view (Flint Owl a close second). Such a lovely environment compared to sitting outside those 2 places just down the road (Fuego Lounge & Aqua) which have as much authenticity about them as Trump's hair, and where your dining comes with a healthy dose of car fumes.
Do make an effort to try this place if you like SE Asian food, as Independents like this need to be treasured!!
Oh, and the grocery part is very good too!
On 26 Aug 2018 at 10:26am Theresa's Philip wrote:
Totally agree! Had lunch there for the first time last week - absolutely delicious, & all dishes below £10. Amazed by the hidden walled garden at the rear - lovely couple running it, I shall certainly go again. By contrast, had a very poor meal at Aqua the week before & service was dreadful.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 10:46am maurice wrote:
Absolutely agree. Delicious food in a lovely garden setting. True Thai food. Such a rarity to find an authentic independent cafe in Lewes. A vanishing breed. I agree about Fuego Lounge and Aqua - brought in food eaten in corporate settings. Nowhere food. The decor of Fuego Lounge is risible unless it's tongue in cheek: manufactured Boho pastiche and some! Of course it's all to do with the rents. However there is some hope. Hedge funded bland high street chains do appear to be failing because of greed, not of the food kind. Also I have enjoyed the furore over Oliver's Jerk Rice. Anger over appropriation and accuracy shows a longing for real food.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 10:51am Old Malling wrote:
Never heard of it. Has it opened at the old La Portes shop?
On 26 Aug 2018 at 10:56am Dexter wrote:
Yes, it's in Laportes... and the gushing review up top is spot on.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 12:10pm Info wrote:
Itís not a review itís the owners self publicity......
On 26 Aug 2018 at 1:36pm Oodles of Noodles wrote:
@Info
Erm. Actually no! I don't own or have any investment in Pestle & Mortar.
Just a Proud Lewesian who likes to see a good independent business and would like to see it do well.
Anyway, from the other responses (your sad, cynical one apart [dis]Info) seem to show that those who do know it feel likewise!
On 26 Aug 2018 at 2:12pm Bumble wrote:
Aw give it a rest @Info.
Pestle & Mortar is great, been in several times myself for lunch and taken friends in too, it really is lovely and the food is fab. I shall continue to support such a good restaurant run by very nice people.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 3:41pm Pedant wrote:
If the gush merchants on here are the typical customer I'll make sure never to go.

On 26 Aug 2018 at 4:06pm Oodles of Noodles wrote:
I'm not even the real O o N - that's the joy of this forum, any fake posting is possible.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 4:41pm Ron wrote:
I wish I could afford to eat out.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 6:03pm Reg wrote:
You will Ron, you will.
On 26 Aug 2018 at 6:09pm TFFT wrote:
@ pedant.
Woohoo!
Then others can enjoy their food without some sad miserable tw*t grumbling next to them that his gruel at home is better!

On 26 Aug 2018 at 6:16pm Goodonem wrote:
Canít wait to try it on my next visit, thanks for the recommendation!
On 26 Aug 2018 at 10:48pm Pedant wrote:
TFFT I hope you're not serious. Do you really take this middle class luvvie poncing seriously?
On 27 Aug 2018 at 7:42am A y wrote:
I have been here a few times, food is very tasty. However last visit spoilt by a middle class women and her teenage daughter arguing, spoilt our meal.
On 27 Aug 2018 at 8:33am Eliza wrote:
I could never afford to eat at a restaurant. Even saying "under £10 a meal" is expensive to me.
I mostly rely on the local food bank.
You are all very privileged to have so much disposable income that you can afford to eat at restaurants and think nothing of it.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:143
Castle view

Extinction Rebellion, the ecological protest group founded in 2018, has initiated its ďSummer UprisingĒ. Namely, blockading roads... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim