Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Incident

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:15am Jp wrote:
Anyone else see that guy in the crowd hit by a firework on school hill? Blood pouring down his face! This has gone beyond fun, way beyond!

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:19am Oats wrote:
And yet this has been the tamest bonfire yet. Verging on 'chid friendly'.
What have we become?
On 6 Nov 2012 at 7:11am Rookie Ron wrote:
Indeed. it was almost boring. Though our boys in blue kept up their traditions of bullying and lying

On 6 Nov 2012 at 10:27am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
They completely ignored a bunch of Portaloo kids letting off rookies in Market Lane at the start of the evening. The plods were only ab out 20' away, they can't have missed it.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 10:35am Bloody students wrote:
There were far too many people crowding school hill, many of them drunk students. The police and street wardens were too busy watching the processions to keep any crowd order, and lots of people were spilling onto the roadway. I'm surprised no one was burnt by a torch to be honest, the spectators seemed remarkably cavalier about safety and many of said students were also just pushing through processions in opposite direction to marchers and then looking surprised/ aggrieved when their eyebrows were almost singed off. I heard that a firework had been thrown from the crowd, into the crowd, and also heard (again) students talking about how great it was that they could throw fireworks in the street. Personally I think they should be stopped from coming, although I'm not sure how. (Stop the trains from lewes to falmer at 9pm ?). And I saw very few people contributing to the charity buckets.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 10:43am Huh? wrote:
Portaloo kids?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 11:08am Chumps wrote:
Great night, well done all the societies.
Saw a bloke getting done by the coppers for throwing a rookie from the crowd into the street. Saw lots of drunk spectators acting like idiots, crossing processions, picking up torches from the gutter, looking offended and getting mouthy when told to stop. Saw a woman complaining to the Cliffe that her children didn't like the noise while standing about 5 metres from the Gardeners during the main procession, seriously (no earplugs or goggles there). Didn't see many spectators with goggles or earplugs. Saw lots of people patting their pockets as the charity pots and contribution buckets came round.
Ban the blues, fair enough. Can we ban the crowd too?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 11:27am Bruciare il Papa wrote:
Excellent post Chumps.
The crowd seemed to be FULL of young students from Brighton and I did not see any contribute in any shape or form to the evening (no programmes, no money, broken bottles and general detritus wherever they went).
Ban them.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 11:47am Albert Square wrote:
It was a great night. Agree that banning the crowd would be good, or at least make it residents only. It wouldn't be hard to implement. Edinburgh does it every new year. Close the town at 1pm and anyone not in it already by that point has to show proof of residency - or hotel stay - to get past the station. If you're having visitors to stay with you that's fine as long as they are in town by that point. That way only residents and those benefitting the local economy get to come in and we're less likely to get idiots buying alcohol outside town, bringing it into town and contributing nothing but trouble. That's not everyone who comes granted, but the biggest crowd control problems came from people not from town who then make their drunken way, zombie like back to the station after they've trashed it. We actively ask people not to come and we try and discourage them, and that hasn't worked so now is the time to actually stop them coming.
Crossing the procession was a problem too, including one woman trying to get the procession to stop by the Pelham Arms so she could take her screaming terrified child across the road. It should be simple for these people just FOLLOW THE ADVICE AND DON'T COME.
So surely it is in EVERYONE'S interests to stop people coming into town for it. The police would have an easier job, the societies would have an easier job, people wouldn't put themselves and their children into situations they can't handle, and we'd all have a much less stressful night. Doesn't it make sense for us all to work out a way to limit access?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 12:16pm here here wrote:
tried a petition to number 10 on their website before but it was denied on the grounds public transport has to run!
would be an idea, prob get a few more locals out on the streets again, We dont come out due to the higher educated idiots that spill into the town on the Fifth.
Someone must now how it's done like Edinburgh does.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 12:30pm Albert Square wrote:
Public transport does have to run but we can close streets to people - that's what we already do, we just need to extend it and get an authorised means of access. Let people get off the train in Lewes but just make entrance to a lot of the town restricted. e.g. barriers at the roundabout by the Dripping Pan so no entrance to town that way, barriers at Pinwell Lane, barriers all the way round the Lansdown and the Doctors surgery and you've effectively closed the town off for surely no more resource than is currently used to try and police people once they are in. All other roads closed earlier in the day as usual. Or charge people £25 each to get in and price out the idiots, while those who do want to pay will be helping us keep it going. Residents who are going to get to town after 1pm can pick up a free ticket in advance via Tourist Info with some ID. It must be possible to restrict access with no more admin or policing than is used at present. According to the BBC two thirds of those in town last night came in via train.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:41pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
When they couldn't even keep cars off the roads after 5pm, I have grave doubts that they could keep people out. I can imagine people getting off trains at Cooksbridge and walking in through Offham and the woods, or walking across the downs from Glynde!

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:45pm Minted Idiot wrote:
Implying idiots don't have any money...

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:53pm Dave wrote:
Idiots don't have money, hence the expression "a fool and his money are soon parted"

On 6 Nov 2012 at 1:55pm Smeds wrote:
If anyone walks from Glynde or Offham to see our processions then I think they they should be made very welcome and given a tot of something.
This clearly does not apply to those coming by train.
Interesting above - how does Edinburgh do it - ie what legislation?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 2:02pm Minted Idiot wrote:
Are you saying the idiots would be happy to pay?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 2:55pm Oats wrote:
I am a university student. Hopefully not one of the ones you are complaining about. I do agree that there was a huge amount of my generation, more than usual.
Being born in Lewes, I have never missed a bonfire. making the travel down from Canterbury now is a bit of an inconvenience but it's usually well worth it.
I was pretty disappointed with this year though.
The higher police presence would not have been a bad thing but it almost seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth. It looked to me as though the ban on all drop-downs was a way of asking for trouble. and there really wasn't that much of a decline in injuries.
As for the donating issue, I cant speak for every one but me and all of my friends were happily donating.
I must say although the procession was far too over policed and a little 'child friendly' for my taste' the fireworks were outstanding at CS.
PS: Don't suppose anyone else saw about 8 Policemen holding hands in a line to drag someone out for dropping a rookie. Seems a little extreme. No?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 3:12pm Tarquin Wonderpants wrote:
Wow. I'm really surprised at the amount of people moaning about bonfire this year.
I was pleasantly surprised at how 'bangy' it still was. It seemed to me that the societies counter-acted the lack of drop downs with many more strings of bangers, especially at the top end of town (around the Pelham etc.)
I thought it was a jolly good night and there was certainly no lack of atmosphere where I was... funny how people see things differently isn't it?

On 6 Nov 2012 at 4:00pm TDA wrote:
Brilliant stuff as usual from all.
Good fun night, apart from the bit where an antiques shop window was smashed next to a woman with her baby (why was she there with a baby? - nuts). Policeman shaking the kid's clothes to get rid of broken glass. And then some pratt threw a glowstick at them. Don't know how the glass broke.
Also, lots of the crowd at Cliffe's firesite were watching other societies' fireworks...

On 6 Nov 2012 at 5:53pm High Dudgeon wrote:
I understand that a man carrying his baby stumbled and fell against the window, breaking it and showering both of them in glass.

On 6 Nov 2012 at 6:07pm matthew wrote:
As an outsider who has been coming to the fireworks for the past decade, I was unaware of the banger controversy. As soon as I arrived though I noticed a difference - there was less of an atmosphere due to far fewer bangers. Of course injuries are always bad, but we all know we are taking a risk when we come to Lewes fireworks. Don't let H and S sanitise Lewes fireworks! The risk is all part of it!

On 6 Nov 2012 at 6:50pm Belles wrote:
I loved it!!! I forgot how amazing it is on a quieter night, I expected less effort on everyone's part but it was awesome. Well done to all those that make so much effort throughout the year! You do us proud. I didn't donate cause my hands were frozen to my pockets but I will send money in this week. Bloody amazing, and I loved all the crackers!! Where's my membership form...... X

On 6 Nov 2012 at 7:06pm Bang wrote:
Are bangers the real reason we all march on the fifth then?! That's all everyone seems to be fussed about

On 6 Nov 2012 at 9:03pm Pelham123 wrote:
Bonfire was ace this year. 90% was down to the fact that there were less people about. Shame about the large student element. Went to cliffe firesite. Great tableux. Not so great fireworks. I reckon ill be going to southover next year. Wish they could close the town off earlier in the day or just not run trains after 8pm or something

On 6 Nov 2012 at 9:32pm Bonfire Boy wrote:
TDA - I think you'll find it unusual for any spectator at any of the firesites not to turn their head a few degrees to watch other aerials too!

On 6 Nov 2012 at 10:25pm TDA wrote:
Bonfire Boy - absolutely, but Cliffe's somehow didn't seem to cut it again this year, there were a lot of pauses. And bearing in mind it's a paid one, seems a shame. Great tab though, best of the night again.
On 7 Nov 2012 at 6:52am Chuck wrote:
You must have been at the wrong Firesite cos the Cliffe's were superb.

On 7 Nov 2012 at 12:56pm wadeohhh wrote:
Dear BANG, of course bangers aren't what we march for. But it's now become something more than that,it's what they represent - our right & freedom to drop those bangers. It's part of our tradition and i for one will do anything i can to defend it.

On 7 Nov 2012 at 2:06pm Garethlewes wrote:
Can I just say, many of you are picking on the 'drunk students.' I am a student and was quite dunk at bonfire, was I throwing rookies and running in the road......no! You have to reign your net in a bit, I have seen many people doing stupid things at Bonfire before most of them didn't look like students, now this incident of the Rookie in the face is disgusting but who is to say it was a student throwing it, it could have been one of the many idiots in the town that aren't students but of student age, 19-24 ish. Stop using the student tag.
Like people have said it was almost child friendly at some points, I was up by the castle and noticed that when ever a torch got dropped it was picked up almost instantaneously where as before you would see many scattered on the floor before people took notice.

On 7 Nov 2012 at 2:28pm exStudent wrote:
Seems there's a tradition of p|ssed up Plumpton College students coming in by train from Plumpton - seems they even lay on minibuses to the station for them. Why is it that 'young farmers' are such animals?

On 7 Nov 2012 at 3:03pm Bonfire Boy wrote:
Gareth - spent torches are collected by the tar barrel teams at the back of each Society. So how quickly they're collected depends from where in the procession they were dropped.
And I don't think anyone was deliberately picking solely on students' lousy behaviour - there are indeed many local tw*ts who should stay at home too. But a large proportion of the visiting 30,000 or so are undeniably students, and many of them don't know how to behave.
On 7 Nov 2012 at 3:42pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I think it's the seclusion of living in the countryside that makes young farmers such utter morons in public. Same reason they all seem to dress like it's still 1975, they have very little exposure to life outside the milking shed and as such fail to learn any social graces or develop a fashion sense. When I worked in pubs in town, the last night of the Plumpton college term when they descend on town en masse was always one of the worst nights of the year to be working. I ususally made a point of asking every single one for ID in the hopes that one wouldn't have any and it'd be a good excuse not to serve any of them.

I'm not a fan of farmers in general but the student types are plain awful.

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Anne of Cleves House 3:143
Anne of Cleves House

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare