Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Improvements to Lewes

On 21 Aug 2008 at 9:44am Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
What is everyones opinion about what should be introuced/taken away from Lewes make it a better place to live? I personally think there needs to be more ammenities available, as shops, the Grange and a skate park limit what you can do in the town. A proper Cinema would be fantastic. Also the restaurants should be cullled to only 2 of each kind of cuisine.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 12:04pm X wrote:
We need another pizza restaurant. A new one hasn't opened for at least a few months now...

On 21 Aug 2008 at 1:19pm Pork belly wrote:
A vast improvement would be if you left this town Elvis and took your bloated comments about encoraging a "better class of citizen to Lewes" with you.
Maybe we need some of the top restaurants and their TV celeb chefs to come down so we can buy a burger for 12 and make Bills look like cut price McDonalds....that'll sort the low life citizens of Lewes out wouldn't it

On 21 Aug 2008 at 1:43pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
Pork Belly - *Sigh* what are you hoping to achieve with comments like that? I have never said the "low-life" citizens of Lewes need sorting out, I mearly suggested that the current relativley high property values in town (Even though they are now falling and have been for at least 3 months - Karen thats for you) could have a good effect.
Now if you think different lets hear your argument against instead of insults.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 1:58pm Pork Belly wrote:
I really don't give a flying f*** what the house prices are.....it's all reletive anyway and i see my house as my HOME, not as pound notes.
What i do object to is stuck up c**** like yourself who feel that this town deserves a better class of citizen and how you think that the towns business and dwellings should reflect this.
You make me sick

On 21 Aug 2008 at 2:45pm Roly Mo wrote:
I think we need to take away some of the useless shops in the town e.g. Flint, Adamzcewski, Wickle etc, and any others that just have one item in the window. This also includes clothes shops where one slipper costs 300. Lets bring in some REAL shops which I am sure the DFL's will absolutley hate, but the true Lewesians will be relieved that they do not have to travel elsewhere to buy their basics. Bring back the Lewes of the 70's and 80's when people were down to earth and didn't have children called Felicity and Tarquin. Yes, it was slightly scruffy in the town, but the people were far less annoying than they are now. Elvis, I presume you are a DFL?

On 21 Aug 2008 at 2:50pm X wrote:
Oh yes let's go back to the 70s - it was great. Industrial decline, regular power cuts, caps in hand to the IMF, non-stop strike action and no future or opportunities for most of the population. Bring it on!

On 21 Aug 2008 at 2:59pm Roly Mo wrote:
I was talking about Lewes in the 70's, not the general economic climate. Are you ELvis in disguise?

On 21 Aug 2008 at 3:23pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
Pork Belly - Go away, you're tiresome, immature and very boring.
Sorry Mo I've been in Lewes over 20 years and came from humbler beginings.
I was trying to get information more along the lines of things to do in town on a social level, I know some of the shops are a joke but can you really see them being there for ever?

On 21 Aug 2008 at 3:23pm Ben wrote:
*message from the '70s*
We feel so sorry for you, Roly, trapped 38 years into the future. If they could only develop the technology there in 2008, they might be able to send you back to our time, the golden age of Lewes...

On 21 Aug 2008 at 3:40pm Roly Mo wrote:
I hope not Elvis. And I agree with you, we definately need a cinema.
Ben, did you not read my post properly. I said go back to the Lewes of the 70's and 80's because people were more down to earth. It was a functional town then, not full of pretensions. If I wanted my cheap bit of tat, I could just nip into my local pound shop or Happit. Can you imagine any of those shops surviving in Lewes now. Far too downmarket!

On 21 Aug 2008 at 3:51pm Ben wrote:
Just ribbing you, Roly. Personally speaking, my cheap tat requirements are more than fulfilled by a combination of charity shops, Woolworths and Homebase.
Re: cinema - better start backing the Phoenix, then.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 3:57pm juju wrote:
Real shops with realistic prices where i can shop for my childrens clothes without needing a loan from the bank ie primark, peacocks, ect basics that dont cost a fortune, and yes back to the days when you could walk through the town and decide which fruit and veg shop was offering the best deal the same goes for butchers, fishmongers and oh please can we have an icelands back.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:01pm Roly Mo wrote:
You can't buy pants in Woolies (nor Homebase for that matter). Not sure I am ready for charity shop y-fronts yet.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:09pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
But you can get Free-Range, Fair Trade, Organic, Hand-made Nepalese Yak fur Boxer Shorts from a loads of shops in town. And just think how grateful the Nepalese Tribesmen will be when they get 0.1% of the 50 they cost you.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:17pm FA wrote:
We need a market.....not the poncy "we'll only cater for the super rich" farmers market but a decent market like the one they used to have in Haywards Heath in the 80's.
It needs to be every week preferably on a saturday and we need stalls that sell fruit and veg, a meat stall, clothing, electrical goods, other food etc etc.
I appreciate the boot fair is going that way but we need a bigger version with lots of permenant stalls.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:22pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
FA, maybe one of the DFL's can swap do a swap, your house for one on Albert Square?

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:32pm FA wrote:
What ?, what has this got to do with a market ?

On 21 Aug 2008 at 4:48pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
There is a market in Eastenders isn't there (I know, mis-spent youth)? You need a market they need to impress Camilla & Rupert. It'as a done deal.

On 21 Aug 2008 at 7:29pm SHS wrote:
Hear hear, spot on FA. That is exactly what we need, with some cheap prices

On 21 Aug 2008 at 10:36pm expat wrote:
It can't be that hard to organise one by finding a site and going forward. There must be someone with enough energy in Lewes to try. We have one here, in a local car park every Saturday morning which has grown over the years. Stallholders pay the equivalent of 6 pounds and just turn up. There are cheap veg stalls, great coffee and food, fresh bread, plants, flowers, clothing, crafts etc. Stall holders make good money, if they're willing to get up early enough, the council get their rent and the organiser makes some too. If I were in Lewes, I'd love to set one up.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 9:24am Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
The obvious place would be Cliffe, but I can see some traders down there objecting if they feet it would effect their trade, especially if it was every weekend.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 11:31am Shoppers like Tescos wrote:
Expats idea of a market is a good one, which i support, but shoppers in the past have voted with their wallets and purses in Lewes. There used to be lots of fruit & veg and hardware shops in Lewes but the combination of high rates, lack of parking & customers preferring supermarkets have seen them decline.
Unfortunately for small shops Tesco's and Homebase have cornered the market in cheap, convenient shopping, all under one roof. From using the place myself when I have to, I would suggest there are many established Lewesians shopping there - and that is not meant as a criticism.
I'm not a great fan of the place, but they are clearly doing something right as their car parks are absolutely full every weekend and no-one is forcing the shoppers there. Don't forget that Tesco put in an application to enlarge their store and I'm sure that cheap boxers would be on sale in a superstore.........

On 22 Aug 2008 at 11:33am Alan wrote:
Expats idea of a market is a good one, which i support, but shoppers in the past have voted with their wallets and purses in Lewes. There used to be lots of fruit & veg and hardware shops in Lewes but the combination of high rates, lack of parking & customers preferring supermarkets have seen them decline.
Unfortunately for small shops Tesco's and Homebase have cornered the market in cheap, convenient shopping, all under one roof. From using the place myself when I have to, I would suggest there are many established Lewesians shopping there - and that is not meant as a criticism.
I'm not a great fan of the place, but they are clearly doing something right as their car parks are absolutely full every weekend and no-one is forcing the shoppers there. Don't forget that Tesco put in an application to enlarge their store and I'm sure that cheap boxers would be on sale in a superstore.........

On 22 Aug 2008 at 12:59pm Frak wrote:
We live in a capitalist, market driven society. The shops will be there until they stop making money, so I would imagine that when the veg shops, the bakers and butchers went out of business it was because people didn't shop there, or expected products to be too cheap. Why would it be any different now? I'd love to have all that availability, but I know that the only time i'd make it to the shops would be on a saturday when it is really busy, so would probably end up going to tesco or waitrose anyway.
It seems odd to be when people moan about wickle, flint etc, small local shops that may or may take off. Surely if they do well then fair enough - people obviosly want to shop there, you may not and I don't but if people do then it is up to them. If there was enough money to be made in a pound shop in Lewes, I'm sure there would be one.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 4:15pm Nosey Parker wrote:
Frak,
I think I know who you are.
We debated this issue between us a few weeks ago.
Does your surname begin with an "A"?

On 22 Aug 2008 at 8:50pm Lewesianne wrote:
FA, I remember that Haywards Heath market! Everyone used to go ther with hangovers from the night before. Brilliant bargains there. By the way FA, I know who you are!!!

On 22 Aug 2008 at 9:02pm Lewesianne wrote:
We need a place where bored kids can hang out and buy junk food and soft drinks like the old Polar Bear. Put a couple of TV's along the walls to watch sport or movies and a juke box (when tv is not on, ofcourse). Have an internet cafe in the corner for MSN addicts and I think it would be the in place for kids to hang out together.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 9:33pm juju wrote:
Ooh, i like junk food!!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 5:30am FA wrote:
How do you know me Lewesianne....you could always do a search for me on facebook and become a friend...or are you another internet stalker ????????

On 23 Aug 2008 at 12:48pm Lewesianne wrote:
You are the person who never used to say hello to me at the school, no matter how much eye contact I tried to give you as a fellow parent. Now my child has left, I don't have to feel ignored by you any more! And no.... I'm not an internet stalker you numpty! I was told by someone who 'FA' was and I worked out that it musy be that grumpy person who said hello to all the other mums except me. Sulk sulk!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 1:30pm FA wrote:
Blimey....i do apologise if i was rude to you...it was never my intention. When did your child leave ?...why didn't you come up to me and say something...even if it was to have a pop at me for ignoring you.
Any more clues to your identity....i will profusely apologise in person then.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 2:17pm FA wrote:
Anyway Lewesianne....i might of thought exactly the same about you...."why doesn't that miserable old woman not talk to me despite all the eye contact ?"
I don't speak to everyone up there....i tend to speak to the people in my daughter's class or who go to football training ?....your initials wouldn't be CS would they ?

On 23 Aug 2008 at 4:49pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I think I suggested Lewesianne to you, FA, as a potential "friend" on Facebook.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 5:17pm Smarty wrote:
Well I know who you are Lewesianne ... Terry? and Timber ring a bell and you FA ......Remember the Minchins!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 5:53pm FA wrote:
Oh yes...how could i forget them....so which one are you Smarty ? Many happy days at Fitzgerald Rd !!!
Cliffebimbo...we had a natter about this at the fete a few weeks ago....please tell me on facebook or i'll be round in the small hours to put a bat up your nightdress !!!!....LOL

On 23 Aug 2008 at 7:47pm Dog In A Cape wrote:
Bat? I thought we were an item now FA.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 7:53pm Dog In A Cape wrote:
I'd love a pet bat.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 7:56pm FA wrote:
CB.....GET ONTO FACEBOOK CHAT NOW !!!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 10:13pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
FA, I believe an interloper may be using my pseudonym. I like bats, but I wouldn't want a pet one. Who are you, person using my name - think of your own, loser!!!! Oh and FA, I will have to ask Lewesianne's permission. A girl never gives away a confidante and all that. Enjoy your barbie!!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 11:00pm Dog In A Cape wrote:
Who are you calling loser..loser!!!
oops.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 11:49pm Lewesianne wrote:
I didn't post that one about us being an item FA. Someone is impersonating me and it's probably that irritating boil called Bumface. Anyway, Cliffe Bimbo, you can tell FA on Facebook and FA, apologies accepted although I am probably just as guilty for not talking to you either! And you were right about the initials.

On 24 Aug 2008 at 8:49am Lewesianne wrote:
Smarty, Don't even mention Terry/Timber! I was not myself then and should have extracted that annoying little splinter as soon as it pricked me! Who are you then?

On 24 Aug 2008 at 9:51am Dog In A Cape wrote:
Ha ha ha ha What's going on? Someone playing with my name?
Buggers!

On 24 Aug 2008 at 12:28pm Lewes Cinema wrote:
Hi Elvis,
Contrary to popular belief we do in fact have a cinema in Lewes. Of course I know what you mean by 'proper' - you probably mean a purpose built one.
But, consider the following:
We have been operating Lewes Cinema at the All Saints for over five years now - we are NOT the film club.
Yes i'ts only every alternate weekend (the council will not allow us to hire the building more than this) but we screen around 150 to 160 screenings a year. We also only screen slightly less actual films than Uckfield for example and they are full time with three screens.
Just to repeat we are NOT a snooty member-based club (we leave that honur to others) we are for ALL public and screen every type of film. For example after the refurbishments over the Summer we re-open with wall-to-wall Mamma Mia and a dose of Prince Caspian on 12-13-14-Sept.
We need the support of local residents to survive and to be honest we could not survive without the people from other towns who visit our cinema - so we are not too hot on the localisation lobby either.
As I said to another poster just google lewes cinema and you will find us

On 24 Aug 2008 at 12:41pm Lewes Cinema wrote:
Hi Elvis,
Contrary to popular belief we do in fact have a cinema in Lewes. Of course I know what you mean by 'proper' - you probably mean a purpose built one.
But, consider the following:
We have been operating Lewes Cinema at the All Saints for over five years now - we are NOT the film club.
Yes i'ts only every alternate weekend (the council will not allow us to hire the building more than this) but we screen around 150 to 160 screenings a year. We also only screen slightly less actual films than Uckfield for example and they are full time with three screens.
Just to repeat we are NOT a snooty member-based club (we leave that honour to others) we are for ALL public and screen every type of film. For example after the refurbishments over the Summer we re-open with wall-to-wall Mamma Mia and a dose of Prince Caspian on 12-13-14-Sept.
We need the support of local residents to survive and to be honest we could not survive without the people from other towns who visit our cinema - so we are not too hot on the localisation lobby either.
As I said to another poster just google lewes cinema and you will find us

On 24 Aug 2008 at 2:49pm Local wrote:
I'd second what Lewes Cinema said - I've always had a good time there.

On 24 Aug 2008 at 6:41pm FA wrote:
Are you ignoring me on facebook Lewesianne ?

On 24 Aug 2008 at 7:53pm Lewesianne wrote:
Not at all! I'v managed to accidentally lock myself out of Facebook and need to sort it out so havn't been on there for ages. Will try to sort it out. So do you know me now?

On 25 Aug 2008 at 11:52am lewwes cinema wrote:
Thanks local!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Bottleneck 113:132
The Bottleneck

There was a lot of anger towards these people a year ago. Let's hope they're all doing good now. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington