Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Imago

On 9 Mar 2013 at 11:32pm dizzydi wrote:
Went to Glyndebourne last night to see this new community opera. The tickets were a reasonable price, the quality of performance very professional. A fantastic evening all round. All local performers should feel very proud in taking part.

On 10 Mar 2013 at 10:42am Pete wrote:
Makes one wonder why they charge ridiculous prices for the so called "professionals" then doesn't it ?

On 10 Mar 2013 at 10:58am Brussel Sprout wrote:
No, a community project would involve a very different funding situation I would imagine...... greater subsidies and certainly smaller fees for the singers!
I saw it too, it was well worth going and so nice to see the theatre full of a whole mix of people (I'm not a fan of the elite thing they usually have going on either)
On 10 Mar 2013 at 11:01am Southover Queen wrote:
Because the "so called professionals" need to make a living just like anyone else. Don't knock Glyndebourne: it brings huge benefit to the town both in extra visitors and so on, but also in bringing a lot of cultural capital as well. Lewes has the most amazing music scene, and I'd be willing to bet that quite a bit of that is due to having an international opera house just over the hill.

On 10 Mar 2013 at 12:57pm Nevillman wrote:
I thought it was a truly brilliant evening. Singing, music, staging all wonderful and in the end very moving. Ridiculous story but that was not a problem for me. I think that most people would be very surprised by how much they would enjoy a visit to Glyndebourne for an evening like this even if they think they don't like opera. To get that for less than the price of 2 visits to the cinema is to my mind a fantatic bargain.

32 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Anne of Cleves House 3:132
Anne of Cleves House

Kier Starman is a good old neonliberal trilateral commission member along with his pals from big oil, banking and all the usual... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare