Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

I like the Queen but last night....

On 28 Jul 2012 at 12:05pm David wrote:
why did she look like a constipated hamster throughout the opening ceremony?. Miserable old bat.........

On 28 Jul 2012 at 12:55pm Frank wrote:
yes I agree - the helicopter thing was ok but the rest of the time she looked really miserable. A smile or two would have been great.

On 28 Jul 2012 at 12:56pm Caroline wrote:
I thought that too- she looked down at her nails when Team GB came in and grumpy through out

On 28 Jul 2012 at 1:25pm Deelite wrote:
Maybe she's feeling her age

On 28 Jul 2012 at 4:26pm Rookie wrote:
Maybe she realised she had missed Last Orders

On 28 Jul 2012 at 7:01pm NCG wrote:
perhaps she was just upset at not having achieved the complete status of being a Bond Girl...there was not a tete a tete in the boudoir, after all.
in my mind's eye, i imagined her making her entrance, hair slightly mussed and her skirt slightly askew from the helicopter and parachute adventure....but of course, a slight smile would have been in order to really 'sell' it.

On 28 Jul 2012 at 7:02pm Matt Kent wrote:
Her Majesty probably wasn't amused about being pushed out of a helicopter. #ExtremeSportsMonarchs

On 28 Jul 2012 at 7:18pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It was probably the thought of having to listen to Paul McCartney trying to sing that was getting her down.

On 28 Jul 2012 at 8:24pm Sussex Jim wrote:
For an 85 year old still working, it must be a real pain to have to sit through an over-hyped media circus after one's bedtime. God save the Queen.

On 28 Jul 2012 at 9:26pm Deelite wrote:
Fascist regime

Made you a moron...........

On 28 Jul 2012 at 10:10pm Harry wrote:
I'm sure she looked miserable because Philip wouldn't take her next door for a burger while Dizzy Rascal was on.

On 28 Jul 2012 at 10:10pm Dennis wrote:
Cant blame her for being miserable. Having to sit there for 3 hours watching that abysmal event would try anyones patience

On 28 Jul 2012 at 11:11pm i know why wrote:
one word " BOTOX "

On 29 Jul 2012 at 12:14am DrDumpling wrote:
I guess she was reflecting that what Mr Bond did to her in those brief moments was more than she'd had for a very long time..........

On 29 Jul 2012 at 12:21am Dave wrote:
I really enjoyed the opening ceremony, the NHS bit went on a bit too long and so did the ordinary us in an ordinary house but the forged rings were a triumph

On 29 Jul 2012 at 8:20am Pete wrote:
The BBC are very good at belittling people like that i.e. catching them off guard and letting everyone know about it. The BBC can be so negative about everything, like saying that there would be questions asked if the team didn't start winning medals !! What abunch of morons. I'm sure the Queen was enjoying herself and that the team will do well.

On 29 Jul 2012 at 10:38am Mrs Twine wrote:
Lately I have been getting a bit deaf, dears, and during the opening ceremony I was sure I heard the announcer talking about "copper kettles", the use of which would be revealed at the end. "Oh dear!" I thought, "I hope we are not going to end up with the old cliche about English tea-drinking". You can imagine my relief when eventually I realised it was "copper petals", and what a beautiful sight they were when assembled and lit. Truly inspired. I doubt I could achieve the same effect in macrame.

On 29 Jul 2012 at 11:26am Southover Queen wrote:
Pete, I'm sure the BBC wasn't trying to belittle the Queen. The fact is that during a very busy live show like that the expectation is that at certain moments - such as when Team GB makes its entrance to huge cheers - there will be a cutaway of the Queen reacting to it. It's just how these things go. The fact is that she wasn't particularly engaged in the proceedings - not surprising, as she's now very elderly and it was very late - at the moment they had to include that shot of her. I don't draw any conclusion beyond that.

Similarly, did anyone notice the cutaway of the German dignitary when his team entered the stadium? I'm sure it wasn't meant to look as if he was making a Nazi salute and he was actually just waving in time to the music, but it sure looked like one.

I thought the Opening Ceremony was fantastic, and shows just how far Britain still punches above its weight in creative matters.

Check it out here »

On 29 Jul 2012 at 11:34am zebedee wrote:
Yes. The Nazi salute mistake was a hoot.
On 29 Jul 2012 at 2:01pm Pete wrote:
SQ, have to disagree I'm afraid, the producers didn't have to show that clip of HM at all. In the studio they have a wall of screens that they can pick on to broadcast. It was deliberate I can assure you. Same goes for the German person as well, typical put down tactics by the BBC - they're for this years bonfire methinks !
On 29 Jul 2012 at 2:30pm Southover Queen wrote:
It wasn't a "clip" it was a cutaway from one camera in a live show lasting four hours or so. Have you actually been in a scanner during a live show? No? Thought not. I have, because that's what I used to do for a living.

The "wall of screens" they have in front of them are the output from the many cameras carefully placed to deliver a carefully planned shot at a carefully planned moment, based on a script devised as a result of weeks of planning. At the moment they needed to cut to that shot of the Queen - live - they had one camera on the prescribed framing. What would you rather they had done?

Exactly the same thing applies to the "German person" - and in fact, I suspect it was the same camera because it was a similar camera angle. When the German team came in, the script will have said quite clearly that the German representative would be shown. It is not the responsibility of the BBC that at that entirely predictable moment he was making an unfortunate and easily misconstrued gesture. As it happens, Camilla and Boris can be seen behind him roaring with laughter at his mistake.

I have to say I think the BBC did a remarkable job that night - it was huge event and they knew that the world was watching.
On 30 Jul 2012 at 9:07am Pete wrote:
SQ, I used to work for the BBC, and I know ALL about studios and broadcasting. There really is no need for all this petty underhand showing of people in compromising positions/gestures, cheap laughs at the victim's expense, and it leaves an impression on people's minds that may not necessarily be to their benefit (and usually isn't). The beeb does a pretty good job overall, but they will insist on these pathetic belittling tactics, I really don't know why....but ask yourself this question - do we really need to see the Queen picking her fingernails ?
On 30 Jul 2012 at 9:58am Southover Queen wrote:
Pete, I used to work for the BBC too, and I certainly wouldn't claim to know ALL about studios and broadcasting. And to be perfectly honest the way you were talking about it earlier suggests that you don't either. In my early career I worked in the gallery on live as well as pre-recorded broadcasts, both on OBs and studio programmes; I used to create the camera scripts and I have cued the inserts and all the rest of it.
At the moment the director was forced to make the long-planned cut to those individuals there was almost certainly nothing else to go to because the other cameras had been assigned a different shot or were moving/reframing/getting ready for their next one so were simply not available. There were a very limited number of shots available that would make sense, and who's to know whether they delayed in the hope that she'd stop picking her nails? That's what the script is for - it's not a question of looking at a variety of camera inputs and choosing the best, it's a way of planning every single second of a live broadcast. The opportunities to vary the script are actually quite limited, because otherwise the whole intricate plan can completely unravel.

Secondly, I have been making enquiries. The broadcaster you should be directing your (misplaced) ire to is actually an entity called Olympic Broadcasting Services, which is the host broadcaster. The BBC is just one of the hundreds of national broadcasters using their feeds, and it was their director who made those shot decisions. The Opening Ceremony (the Danny Boyle part, up to the entrance of the athletes) was covered by an indie working for the BBC called Done and Dusted, and everything that followed (including the cutaways of the Queen and the German dignitary) was provided by OBS. So either they're all in the same conspiracy to "belittle" people led by the wicked BBC or it is as I suggested first just one of those things. I'd favour the second option personally.

On 30 Jul 2012 at 9:42pm Double Top wrote:
The real reason!!!!

View the picture »

On 31 Jul 2012 at 11:57am brixtonbelle wrote:
As the official Olympic broadcaster is OBS, you can hardly lay the blame at the BBC's door as it will have been their director who made the decisions on which camera shots to switch to during the event. There's been some grumbling about their coverage so far - during the cycling road race the split times were unavailable to commentators, and I've noticed during the swimming the expected replays are not happening. The rights to the broadcasts are incredibly lucrative and sold for huge amounts by the IOC, which is frustrating for many broadcasters in termas of what they are and aren;t allowed to use/show (CH4 news was unable to use an interview with Bradley Wiggins for example and had to quote his words using an actor !)

On 4 Aug 2012 at 11:38am Double Top wrote:
I thought you were talking about the 'Southover Queen' I cant stick that stuck up Busy body!!!!!

On 4 Aug 2012 at 11:50am Ed Can Do wrote:
Actually, it's unlikely the cut-aways to the Queen were live at all. Much like the UEFA footage of teh Euro finals where a German woman was shown in the crowd with tears in her eyes after Italy scored, which was actually a shot taken during the anthems at the beginning then cut in for dramatic effect, "live" sports broadcasts are often interspersed with clips taken earlier these days and the BBC are as guilty as anyone of that.

Did anyone else wonder how Sir Steve Redgrave made the run from the boat to the stadium in under two minutes? Because it took him fifteen is why. The shot of him collecting the flame from Beckham had been taken quarter of an hour before it was shown but was cut in as "live footage" when it suited the producers, he admitted as much himself on the breakfast news the next day.

Editing in of recorded shots to liven up live sporting events is increasingly common and just another way in which the media like to impose their own spin on events as they happen. Quite why they would have picked that particular shot of the Queen for that moment but one dreads to think what she looked like through the rest of the event if that's the one they went for.

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

What will channel 4 news be without him and his colourful ties? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare