Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

How to make Lewes cool

On 16 Jun 2016 at 3:40pm Erica wrote:
How can we all contribute to making Lewes a cool and cultural place to live? The high street is dead after 4 pm, how can we make this lovely town a lot more lively and fun?
On 16 Jun 2016 at 4:11pm selfish git wrote:
Lewes is already a cool and cultural place to be. We could march a bunch of hipsters up and down the High St every evening for people to laugh at
On 16 Jun 2016 at 4:48pm Jonny wrote:
Ooh it's just hate hate hate on this forum isn't it? Try a bit of love instead people.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 4:52pm Dougal wrote:
Or just go to Brighton if you want that sort of thing.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 5:02pm selfish git wrote:
I think you'll find many people on this forum don't appreciate the implication that Lewes isn't cool or cultural. Cool and cultural in what sense Erica? More like Shoreditch? Like Brighton? Like Notting Hill?
On 16 Jun 2016 at 5:54pm Celine wrote:
Some of us like that aspect of Lewes Erica. If want a lively evening I go to Brighton or London. If I want a peaceful civilised evening I stay in Lewes. The new cinema complex no doubt will be a bit lively, but hopefully not too much!
On 16 Jun 2016 at 6:32pm Clifford wrote:
I suppose one way to make Lewes 'cool' would be not to use hackneyed and meaningless expressions like 'cool'. I come from the generation when it was used ironically as a mickey-take. It's sad to be around when people imagine it's... cool.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 7:41pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
For me, 'cool' equals shallow - here today, gone tomorrow. I like the fact that Lewes quietly gets on with doing what it's always done, regardless of passing whims and ephemeral fashions. But I think Erica was just winding us up.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm Ted wrote:
Down with that sort of thing!
On 16 Jun 2016 at 8:18pm Menthal wrote:
We could build a bonfire maybe a tab or two and stick two fingers up to the establishment
On 16 Jun 2016 at 8:34pm the fonz wrote:
You don't "make" cool. Cool is a state of mind. Trying to be cool will only make you less cool. Be who you are and you will be cool to someone, and I think that applies to Lewes.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm Observer wrote:
For a small town, Lewes is pretty f**king cool. If you don't know that, you're not going to the right places.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:26pm Hyena wrote:
Jonny,
Don't say 'people' at the end of a sentence. Not cool!
Erica,
Why change it if it's lovely?
On 16 Jun 2016 at 9:29pm cool dude wrote:
The coolest thing someone can do is not try to be cool. Lewes does it's own thing and it's great.
On 16 Jun 2016 at 10:08pm Ice cool alex wrote:
A tram up the hill would be cool!
On 17 Jun 2016 at 12:07am Lopster wrote:
Funicular might be more appropriate
On 17 Jun 2016 at 6:41am Erica wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Lewes! But where to go after dark if you want something else than a pub? Looking forward for the cinema though! Maybe I should just go to Brighton more often as suggested! Sorry about using the word cool, meant lively!
On 17 Jun 2016 at 10:02am Belladonna wrote:
People have tried to open more trendy cafes and bars, but there isn't the footfall. There was a tiny cocktail place on Fischer St a couple of years ago, but I think you need a larger and younger population for such places to succeed. But in terms of culture - there are masses of events of all sorts - classical, gigs (many free), literary, art, etc etc. I was amazed at how much is going on.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 12:02pm Observer wrote:
Agreed, there aren't that many relatively affluent twentysomethings with disposable income in Lewes, which is the demographic that sort of thing needs. However I think there's also the fact that we have a tremendous and varied range of pubs - which suit every taste - so what would a bar do? I would say that we could do with a venue open after midnight (say til 1 or 2, nothing crazy, just at weekends) - especially now the days of full-on raves down at the Phoenix have gone.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 3:05pm ClarifiedButler wrote:
Yawwnnnnn
On 17 Jun 2016 at 4:44pm Bald Eagle wrote:
Erica, I completely agree with you. Some may not like it, but I'm hoping that the Premier Inn will put pressure on local businesses/cafes and so on, to remain open after 5pm. I work full-time and am single, and when I return to Lewes between 5 to 7pm, it's dead. Fine if you have a partner or kids, but not great otherwise. I agree Brighton is much more lively, but there's no reason Lewes couldn't have a bit more life in the early evening, or even late evening apart from (predominantly) old man pubs is there? ; ) B.T.W., I grew up in Lewes over 30 years ago, and I think it needs to change!
On 17 Jun 2016 at 6:37pm Jester wrote:
Bulldoze and restart
On 18 Jun 2016 at 12:35am MiddleAgedMan wrote:
How about power outages in heavy rains? Give kinda a retro feel from the old days. I have already requested, and asked Vodafone to turn off their mast for a few hours for the next few days.
Let us see how a bulldoze will work, cause we're experiencing it now.

On 18 Jun 2016 at 7:47am Reality wrote:
Lewes is already too cool to be cool
On 18 Jun 2016 at 7:56am Phil Spencer wrote:
I'm not sure why people moan about Lewes being quiet in the evenings. Everyday there is a full programme of different events happening in the town, although a lot of them are based around music and art.
For those who have moved here, surely you did your research before parting with your hard earned cash/mortgage to move to a town with higher than average priced houses. Before we moved here (DFL) over 30 years ago, we would finish work in London and drive to Lewes arriving around 9pm. The town streets would be dead but full, and I mean full, of small independant restaurants of all prices, and all very busy (even midweek). We would do the same on a Saturday and Sunday, just to get the feel of the town. And yes it was right for us. Why on earth would you move here if it's not the right place? it's certainly not because the housing is cheaper. If you want a more buzy atmosphere then surely you should have moved to Brighton. For us the calm and quiet streets of an evening was alovely breath of fresh air when getting of the train from London.

On 18 Jun 2016 at 9:02pm Belladonna wrote:
It's a great shame that one of those restaurants, 'seasons', closed. And a shame that most of the restaurants - apart from the curry houses and East Asian - are pseudo Italian chains. We could do with some brasseries or bistros with good French/ Italian food at ordinary prices - I'm certain they would be packed out.

11 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde