Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

How it affects Lewes

On 29 Mar 2017 at 11:25am Frak wrote:
OK, serious question here, considering what's happening today.
How do you think leaving the EU will affect Lewes - in business and day to day life?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 11:36am The Forum Nutter wrote:
No
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:02pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
Your boilers will still break down so you'll still need me.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:07pm Buzzard wrote:
That depends on the settlement, and we have no idea what that will be. It's a leap in the dark, a pig in a poke. When we do know, we won't be allowed another referendum to decide if we like it. Will of the People, remember?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:23pm The Greek wrote:
We'll probably bottle it before two years is out and come crawling back.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm Tim wrote:
The grass will stop growing, the sky will turn black, shops will be boarded up, pot holes will get bigger (for those able to get agricultural diesel), the river will dry up, convent field will become a tented city etc etc. We're doomed. Doomed.

On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm The Forum Nutter wrote:
dream on
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm Always Rivalled, Seldom Equalled wrote:
Will we lose our Italian restaurants?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm Pedro wrote:
I think its perfectly clear (and logical) that withdrawing from 40 years of EU membership (as one of the key leading partners) will result in a trickier and less advantageous trading relationship with our closest neighbours and partners, and ironically increase red-tape in some areas going forward for companies and individuals. Whether though this is offset by vastly improved existing trading agreements and relationships with countries outside of the EU remains to be seen. On balance, probably not. In all likelihood the rich will once again be unscathed, and the poorest will take the brunt.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:04pm Mr Sound Bite strikes wrote:
again......yawn
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:14pm Pedro wrote:
Again....above troll. Contribute, and stop criticising other peoples contributions (including stalking my posts). Its no surprise you do this anonymously, as its peculiar behaviour and had you done it on a registered username you would probably have been banned a long time ago.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm Kerry Gold wrote:
Will the butter mountain be affected?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm Bob wrote:
It's a leap in the dark but here are the certainties, which no-one pro-Brexit can dispute:

removal in farming subsidies will hit the agricultural economy locally hard.

Changing rights of movement and trade and extended travel time through borders could well make Newhaven port unviable, but we'll definitely see a reduction in its use as increased trade tarrifs bite the core of its business (import and export from the EU).

A lot of people in Lewes whose jobs depend on the EU (most industries) will see frozen salaries (if they keep those jobs) which will be tough with the increased cost of living.

Tourism to Lewes will reduce, combined with less disposable income so we'll see more godawful vanity shops and less useful shops.

The government will keep cutting services and as so many charities who pick up the pieces at the moment get EU support we'll see a lot of the creaking safety nets fall apart.

A positive is that...erm...hang on...um...oh yes! A positive is that we can now trade with New Zealand on the same terms we've been trading with 27 prosperous nations who have contributed enormously to our GDP.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:49pm Billy Bull wrote:
We won't be trading with those 27 nations under favourable terms any more...
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:56pm Billy Bull wrote:
Theresa May has just told parliament "there will be consequences for the UK" from Brexit, which we will have to accept. Lewes isn't immune from those consequences. Funny how no-one is talking about the benefit even now.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 2:13pm Tim wrote:
I actually remember life before we joined the EU. I also remember Newhaven being a far busier port than it is now, especially for ferry traffic.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 2:41pm dick wrote:
so upset today . I Just send my wife back to Poland . Still now I can look out for a English wife happy days
On 29 Mar 2017 at 3:36pm bobobob wrote:
@Bob hello namesake
I would disagree on the tourism part. The week pound courtesy of Brexit is very helpful for tourism. So if you work anywhere with foreign tourists spending you could see more money coming in. You'll have to be welcoming to jonny foreigner tho
The govt has agreed to continue EU subsidies to farming and fishing and a bunch of other stuff for a while so hopefully any effect of removal of EU subsidies can be reduced through sensible govt planning (did I really just say that!?)
@ billy bull. Funny how you didn't mention any benefit. Can you think of some? Laws being made by a faceless group of white haired old men in London rather than Laws being made by a faceless group of white haired old men in Brussels doesn't really excite me.
Immigration wise if that's your thing I don't see Lewes being changed much. Nationwide the same imo.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm Frak wrote:
So......anyone got any positives?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 4:06pm bobobob wrote:
^...Tourism. Maybe fewer bankers?
On 29 Mar 2017 at 4:08pm The Forum Nutter wrote:
Yes. I am positively sick of people boring on about Brexit.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 4:45pm Frak wrote:
Then why vote for it?
(pretty sure you said in previous post you did, but forgive me if I'm wrong)
On 29 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm Buzzard wrote:
Brexit will see the opportunity for a bonfire of red tape. You know, all those annoying regulations protecting the environment, workers' rights, that sort of thing. Some people see that as benefit. Not very nice people, to be sure.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 5:04pm Pat wrote:
Yummy yummy. Gone. Curry cottage. Gone. Shanaz. Gone. Panda garden. Gone. Baltica. Gone. Chaula's. Gone.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 5:18pm bobobob wrote:
@Pat only one of those is a European cuisine
@billy bull, sorry, misread your post :/

On 30 Mar 2017 at 1:46am Fairmeadow wrote:
Any existing or new business in Lewes that creates any product aimed at the British market will find it much easier to compete with European competitors. This applies in particular to our nearby farms.
We will no longer have to pay to support development in other European countries or the corrupt Brussels bureaucracy.
Businesses and organisations like the NHS will need to invest in training British young people - we have already decided to increase the number of medical school places available each year by 20%.
British workers will no longer find their wages and conditions undercut by desperate youngsters from Southern European countries with huge youth unemployment rates.
You will find British produced Toyotas and Hondas relatively cheaper than European produced VWs, Renaults, Fiats & Skodas. There will be even more Qashqais on the school run.
There will be less competition for rented accommodation so that market sector rents will fall.

On 30 Mar 2017 at 6:31am Bored of Brexit wrote:
Fairmeadow, your attempt at a postive spin is classic optimism over reality and doesn't stack up to the facts and is objectively wrong, often from the Government's own words. To begin, tell me why will there be less competition for accommodation? The government has been transparent that immigration will go up under Brexit, and a pre-condition for favourable trade to major markets like India is already easier free movement for their nationals. We gain far more from trading with them than they do with us without this. Meanwhile foreign landlords are snapping up property because of the weak pound. Well done Brexiters! Skills gaps in the NHS (let alone anywhere else)? We're at least a generation away from plugging that with British people (again, independent and official numbers say this). I could go on but won't. Facts can be hard to accept but they are important.
On 30 Mar 2017 at 7:47am @Tim wrote:
Yes, Newhaven wa a busy port back in the 60' and 80's. It wasn't the EU that ended that as most of its trade came from beyond the EU. The first nail in its coffin was the Falklands War which put a stop overnight to the White Star line from Argentina and Brazil. It all went down hill from there. The ferries all but died after the Channel Tunnel opened. It is a fact though, that in pre open borders days, there were long delays at ports for lorries waiting for customs clearance and examinations. I guess we will see a return to that, IF we can do a deal with the EU to make trade with them a viable proposition of course.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Ice Cream 68:132
Lewes Ice Cream

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare