Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

How Old is Lewesian anti papal feeling ?

On 25 May 2011 at 12:42pm Paul Newmania wrote:
I had always supposed that the commemorative " No popery" in Lewes stemmed originally from the Marian martyrs, although the modern Bonfire itself dates to the early 19th century I think.
It may be more ancient by far. Henry the Third, ( beginning of 13th century) came to the throne as a minor but the country was ruled by the King`s Council and rather well . When himself took up the reins his personal piety drove him to do the Pope`s bidding in expensive adventures such as installing his son in the disputed throne of Sicily. Italian parasites were foisted on England and the clergy pitilessly taxes to support the Pope`s schemes on the Continent .
Papal influence was thereby strongly associated at that time with bad governance and whilst modern conceptions of liberty were not known the struggle of the Charter continued from John`s time. Songs sang of the King being subject to the law.
Simon De Montfort was a sort of proto Cromwell and his civil war was one of ambition yes, but also united rebelling Knights and gentry against the Barons rebellious clergy against papal activism, the City of London and students from Oxford; all fired with a religious come political zeal.
Trevelyan comments that De Montfort`s victory at Lewes could no more be forgotten than Naseby and the eventual victory of Henry could not be a return to the old despotism. From that point the King`s strength was that of the King in Parliament, an institution quite unlike its modern equivalent but nonetheless an important step.
Can it be coincidence that this patriotic anti absolutist and anti papal battle took place at Lewes ?
Is it possible that the memory of De Montfort predisposed Lewes to play the role it did centuries later ? We seem to make little of these dramatic events I wonder why not ...

On 25 May 2011 at 12:45pm MC wrote:
You are wasted on insurance

On 25 May 2011 at 1:34pm Mr Forks wrote:
wasted on drugs??

On 25 May 2011 at 2:04pm bastian wrote:
you do know that sussex was the last county to be christianised don't you,that old forest of ondred/andraeda kept everyone out...except the locals.

On 25 May 2011 at 2:28pm getorffmoiland wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is the old forest of ondred/andraeda?

On 25 May 2011 at 3:28pm Clifford wrote:
Something I always boast about bastian.

On 25 May 2011 at 4:39pm NewLewesian wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is the old forest of ondred/andraeda?
The weald, basically, when it was thick forest.

On 25 May 2011 at 4:57pm getorffmoiland wrote:
Thanks for that, interesting stuff on various websites about andred, anderida, andredsleage etc

On 26 May 2011 at 8:18am sashimi wrote:
Well, that's an awful lot of history. Very interesting. Anderida is the Roman name for the port of Pevensey (now 1 mile inland) - or is that info on one of the other websites?

On 26 May 2011 at 3:55pm bastian wrote:
it is the weald, divided by the adar river, one side is ondred and the other andraeda...I used books,papery things that fit onto shelves.The tribes here at Roman times were divided the same way into cantiaci and atribates,though known together as regni( bloody romans, the locals called themselves dave or keith)

On 26 May 2011 at 5:38pm NewLewesian wrote:
But "weald" is anglo-saxon, related to the german wald.

On 27 May 2011 at 10:53pm IMEYOU wrote:
Going back to the original post there is no anti catholic feeling in Lewes : Only anti popery , a different issue altogether

On 28 May 2011 at 9:49am Paul Newman wrote:
Indeed , thats why I carefully used the phrase " commemorative no popery"

On 31 May 2011 at 11:46am padster wrote:
What's anti popery then?

On 2 Jun 2011 at 8:26pm Screaming J wrote:
In Chris Hare‚??s ‚??History of the Sussex People‚?? he advances the theory that the County‚??s isolation meant it was very conservative and reluctant to give up old ways, but then - almost paradoxically ‚?? once it had given up things (e.g. Catholicism) it would become the most vocal and militant in support of what replaced it. So, probably reluctant to embrace the Reformation at first, but once there was acceptance, a quite militant form of Protestantism.
The latter point illustrated by the fact that as late as 1870 - when St Pancras Church opened - between 2000-3000 people demonstrated against it (see ‚??Burn Holy Fire ‚?? Religion in Lewes since the Reformation‚?? by Jeremy Goring).. And the Jirah Chapel hosted Ian Paisley as recently as 1998......

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Meridian Line 72:132
Lewes Meridian Line

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo