Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Housing

On 20 Apr 2015 at 9:31pm Brian wrote:
Should Housing Benefits ONLY be paid to the Local Authority and not to Private Landlords, apart from on genuinely extenuating circumstances?
This would mean the Local Authority having to build a far greater stock of Social Housing.
The ‘Buy to Let’ market would then have to be properly & fairly administered.
On 20 Apr 2015 at 11:02pm Nick Hoo ? wrote:
Most private landlords don't take tenants on housing benefit, the insurance companies don't like it apparently they don't like risks !
On 20 Apr 2015 at 11:16pm FireStarter wrote:
Don't the insurance companies like the tenants 'falling' from burning five story building?
On 21 Apr 2015 at 7:45am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't think that would work. All the private sector tenants, many of whom are in work, would end up being evicted and homeless.
And it's not lack of will that stops councils building, it's lack of funds.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 8:42am Mavis wrote:
Rubbish ACT ! The councils plead poverty, but find money for traffic calming, new street lighting, build a new library, sell the old one, sell a school at knock down price, sell their old office buildings, but still not manage to build one single house ? Who are they fooling ?
On 21 Apr 2015 at 8:55am whodoo wrote:
Whoodoo they think they're fooling - see my other post LOL
On 21 Apr 2015 at 9:03am Laurie wrote:
Yes, why didn't the council themselves convert their old Accounts offices in Fisher Street into affordable flats ? Another lost profit to the community there.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 10:46am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Building homes requires funding from the council's capital programme, which requires the approval of central government. That's why so few council houses have been built nationally.
The library was nothing to do with the district council, libraries are a county council service. It was in the county council's capital programme for years before it got built.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 12:08pm Mavis wrote:
More rubbish ACT ! The councils hide behind each other, that's why we have so many of them. Smoke and mirrors. Always blaming the 'other' council !! Do we need 3 councils I ask ? NO is the correct answer.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 1:52pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It may be rubbish that we have 3 tiers of local government, and on that point I'm inclined to agree with you, but that library provision is a county council function is a fact!
Councils didn't choose to have 3 layers of local government, that's a matter for central government as it requires a change in the law to do anything else.
It's a shame that the Banham commission didn't sort it out better, but then every review of local government just seems to leave more of a mess than the one before.

On 21 Apr 2015 at 1:57pm Resident wrote:
I think 'Mavis' must be a troll - at the very least someone disinterested in facts. Best to leave alone.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 4:08pm Sjep76 wrote:
I once had a conversation with a housing officer from LDC who said there was only about 1600 council properties in Lewes District, that was in 2007. She also said when a council house is bought only 25% of the sale actually goes to LDC, the rest goes to central government. The council can't afford to build a new property with only 25% of the sale of very discounted houses.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 5:53pm Brian wrote:
Nothing against the 'Right to Buy' scheme, but I think that all the proceeds should be ploughed back into the local authority housing budget & should be used to go toward building more local homes.
However I do have a problem with the unscrupulous 'Buy to Let' scheme.. I don't have the figures, but whats the betting that most of the housing bought under the 'Buy to Let' scheme mostly relies on letting their houses to Housing Benefit recipients whether on low wage or unemployed. That money would be better served if it were to go back to the local authority and ultimately back towards building new housing stock.
I'm no fan of the present policy on Council housing.
William Hutton Political Economist, said in 2007, "The truth is that council housing is a living tomb. You dare not give the house up because you might never get another, but staying is to be trapped in a ghetto of both place and mind". Too True!

On 21 Apr 2015 at 6:47pm King Tut's Tomb wrote:
Living tomb - FFS ! - If it wasn't for council housing back in the 50's I don't know what my parents would have done . There wasn't any spare in Lewes @ the time so I grew up in Uckfield . Ghetto LOL. What a load of nonsense.
On 21 Apr 2015 at 7:27pm Belladonna wrote:
What does Will Hutton know about council house living ? What era is he talking about ? I know a lot of people who grew up in them in the 60&70s and loved the community. This was pre right to buy when most tenants held down jobs in stable employment.
That was destroyed by Thatchers right to buy, making fewer council properties available and changing to criteria for social housing to those most desperate. Then some estates became hell holes when the only social tenants placed there by councils were problem families.

On 22 Apr 2015 at 3:27am Morgan wrote:
An example of how the people in power abuse their positions and lay to waste whole areas in the name of so called progression. When really what they're doing is all to do with making money for themselves.
Think this doesn't effect you in your area?
Why is there so many DFL's ?
Hope the link works but if not its the BBC's The Secret History of Our Streets

Check it out here »

On 22 Apr 2015 at 2:16pm Plus 8 wrote:
Vote UKIP

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms