Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

House Insurance for Previously Flooded Home

On 27 Aug 2014 at 9:31pm TDA wrote:
That time of year again, but quotes for house insurance seem to have really shot up. Anyone had a similar experience recently, and any companies out there insuring?

On 28 Aug 2014 at 7:34am drone wrote:
Try Liverpool Victoria. It is going to be expensive whoever you use if you are in a flood zone. £100 excess on LV.
On 28 Aug 2014 at 8:54am Passing by wrote:
I thought you only paid higher for 10 years - which has now passed. You shouldnt have to pay more for being in a flood area - i am in a flood area (as is most of Lewes) and i wouldnt say mine is expensive - i think i have an excess of £100 by choice and pay about £150 (max) for contents and building insurance for the year

On 28 Aug 2014 at 11:16am wanderer wrote:
birmingham and midshires try them our is £111 ish for contents
£30k cover
On 28 Aug 2014 at 12:15pm flat earth wrote:
since when was "most of Lewes" in a flood area?
I don't remember "most of Lewes" flooding??
On 28 Aug 2014 at 2:15pm Shergar wrote:
My hoofs are nice and dry up here , and a lovely view, bugger now you all know where I've been hiding

On 28 Aug 2014 at 2:31pm TDA wrote:
I've been quoted three and a half thousand by a couple of companies!! Lowest is 550... jeez.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 2:42pm Mavis wrote:
Insurance companies vary widely in giving quotes, that is why you have to shop around, EVERY YEAR for EVERY type of insurance. There is no loyalty in staying with the same company anymore. It's a real nuisance nowadays.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 3:41pm Old Cynic wrote:
Mavis is right - shop around!

On 28 Aug 2014 at 6:10pm Passing by wrote:
Your house does not have to have flooded to be classed as being in a flood area. It is to do with the distance of a water source. My house did not flood but as it fall within a certain distance to the river is classed as being a flood area

On 28 Aug 2014 at 6:35pm dfl wrote:
I thought all you native Lewesians were so much more suited to this locale that you had webbed feet and waterproof tvs unlike us ultra-absorbent DFLs

On 29 Aug 2014 at 9:13am Red Rum wrote:
Allright Shergie M8

On 29 Aug 2014 at 9:16am Meerkat wrote:
Google / Moneysavingexpert / etc. Simples

On 31 Aug 2014 at 8:29pm belladonna wrote:
We use Legal and General, but we found the policy through a broker. LV no longer offer flood insurance to many properties. Our house has never flooded in the last 50 years but is in the flood 'zone', so we got clobbered with high insurance costs.
Rates went up massively last year because the government took away some guarantee to the insurance companies re flooding that had kept rates low. Will wait to see what our next renewal rate is like following this years flooding crisis nationwide.

On 3 Sep 2014 at 8:22am Churchill Loss Adjuster wrote:
Belladonna - Your house definitely flooded, the cellar was full and
the electrics caught fire!

On 18 Sep 2014 at 7:07pm Dorota26 wrote:
Large rooms can accommodate big pieces of furniture. This doesn’t mean that you have to stuff it full but you can choose large sectionals, shelving and pieces of art that would dwarf a smaller room.

Check it out here »

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Twitten 89:132
Lewes Twitten

Does the Ellie still show football? Walked past recently and they didn't seem to be showing any. Wanted to see BHA possibly go... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy