Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Horse racing/Cheltenham

On 6 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm Compass wrote:
The Cheltenham NH festival begins next week and with it will come the inevitable equine fatalities and injuries. Given that Lewes has a long tradition as a racing town( The 1966 Derby winner was trained here ) I would be interested to hear whether contributors to this forum believe that is any validity in the banning of horse racing argument. Hopefully given the theme of this thread there won't be any racist, homophobic or misogynistic comments but I won't hold my breath.
On 6 Mar 2013 at 9:26pm Stan the Man wrote:
You're obviously some sort of 'do gooder' or you wouldn't have raised the subject. And also I bet you've never ridden a horse, shot a rabbit or pheasant, or set your dogs on rats. Well matey boy, this is what we do in the sticks so get over it

On 6 Mar 2013 at 9:39pm Compass wrote:
Stan, actually your wrong, I know the difference between a patent and a yankee, and have been to Clonmel a few times in February(if you know what that means), I am just interested in others opinions and maybe a bit of a debate that's all. You really should not make assumptions based on so little information.
On 6 Mar 2013 at 9:48pm amazed wrote:
why on earth would anyone want horse racing banned because of the possibility of an injury? should they stop football or any sport? maybe we all stay at home and do nothing the government would love that!

On 7 Mar 2013 at 3:42am Horseman7 wrote:

My diary is clear for those four days so that I can watch it all.

Perks of self-employment.

On 7 Mar 2013 at 8:15am camp teeney bopper wrote:
Im off all week and will be drinking and betting plenty x
On 7 Mar 2013 at 8:56am Kettle wrote:
Stan- speak for yourself. Lots of people in the 'sticks' have interests that don't include killing animals.
Difference between horse racing and football is that footballers have a choice.
I would like to see some of the more dangerous races made safer.
On 7 Mar 2013 at 9:25am Taff wrote:
If horse racing was not on TV most of us wouldnt even know that a horse has been injured or had to be put down. So is it the incident or is it the media having brought it into your home thats to blame?
I am told that if the horse doesnt want to do it, it wont.
Personally, I dislike horses having been chased by pit ponies some decades ago but my thoughts shouldnt distract or influence others in what they want to do. No one is going to tell me I should not be riding my motorbike!
Let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

On 7 Mar 2013 at 7:16pm Jayde wrote:
Being a racing fan and a writer who covers the Cheltenham Festival and other meetings I see this debate come up year in and year out. Usually it does so ahead of the Grand National though.
I think last year really brought it very much to the forefront because Synchronised, the 2012 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, broke his leg in the Grand National and had to be euthanized.
Personally I enjoy the sport and I think it's pretty safe to say it's here to stay. Not the least reason being that racing was first recorded as a sport in the ancient Greek Olympics in 648 BC, so it has about 26 Centuries worth of history. That's pretty good proof that on the whole we are pretty attached to the sport.
At the same time I do believe that on-going efforts should be made to decrease the injuries and fatalities amongst the horses. There were a number of fatalities at last years festival but by and large a lot of effort has been made to make racing at Cheltenham safer. This can be seen when comparing the recent history of most races at the CF to the likes of the Grand National, which still has over double the average of equine fatalities.
So yeah, I'm all for making the sport safer, but I see little point in people being unrealistic and demanding it ceases completely. It's just not going to happen. Rather invest your time supporting those people and initiatives that are trying to improve equine safety.

Check it out here »

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Webbo Penny 129:132
Webbo Penny

The government borrowed 55.2 billion in may and ruined the economy by locking us down on figures for probable deaths from... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell