Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Homeless in Lewes

On 14 Mar 2017 at 9:31am louise wrote:
I am aware this topic has been discussed on the forum before, however it is a contentious issue. There are several offenders in the Lewes area, mainly the town who I have experienced unpleasant run ins with. I can sympathise with the homeless however this sympathy is very quickly dissolved by the fact they have tried to assault me and mug me. No one should have to deal with this and it's about time we shunned political correctness and told these chavs where to go...
On 14 Mar 2017 at 9:37am Pedro wrote:
It has nothing to do with "political correctness" - you've always had the same rights to report any assault and mugging to the police.
On 14 Mar 2017 at 9:47am Good Ole Days wrote:
Bring back workhouses and get these workshy layabouts off the streets. My great grandad was in a workhouse for a while. Got him motivated to get a job that's for sure. These liberal do gooder types would have this country bankrupt with handouts for everyone except hardworking normal folk.
On 14 Mar 2017 at 10:19am Emmaus wrote:
When did homelessness become "an offence"?
On 14 Mar 2017 at 10:21am Good Ole Days wrote:
They aint homeless. Hopeless more like

On 14 Mar 2017 at 10:26am Emmaus wrote:
When did hopelessness become "an offence"?
On 14 Mar 2017 at 10:26am Billy wrote:
"Nationwide Girl" came in on the train again yesterday from Brighton. Dressed smartly and with another dark haired girl she made her way to her pitch where her act began. Does anyone know her story? Who is the other dark haired girl who seems to run errands and take messages? Who are the couple who sit on the bench outside the courtroom and also pass on messages to her? Is this some undercover operation going on here?
On 14 Mar 2017 at 10:49am Dixie Normus wrote:
@Billy - That girl is called Jade. I am unsure on your facts with regards to the train from Brighton. I understood her to have a flat somewhere in Lewes. Although, this was some time ago and may no longer be the case (if ever factual initially) She grew up in Lewes and I often see her mother around the town. I believe she is sadly reliant on drugs and that may have something to do with the passing of 'messages'.
On 14 Mar 2017 at 11:54am Good Ole Days wrote:
Drugs are bad thing. One thing can lead to another and before you know it you are hooked for life. Same with nicotine and alcohol. Weak people are sucked it..bit like needing a religion
On 14 Mar 2017 at 2:53pm Just me wrote:
Dixie is correct. I went to school with Jade. Sadly, I have seen her sleeping at her 'pitch' outside nationwide recently. She is homeless. I am not sure if this has happened since the fire in the flat in Landport or if she was homeless before.
I see her mum around town sometimes, but I believe that her mum cannot have her to live with her due to stealing to pay for drugs. I haven't spoken to her mum though so this is unconfirmed (although it was a policeman who said it)
On 14 Mar 2017 at 4:55pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I know her story, too.
I wouldn't dream of posting someone's personal history on here, save to say that it is heartbreaking.
On 14 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm terry wrote:
Whatever her story I don't think personal details should be discussed or speculated on here. Imagine how her mum would feel should she read the forum. If you are interested then try talking to these people rather than gossiping about personal circumstances. Shame on you.
On 14 Mar 2017 at 5:07pm Mark wrote:
Have written this about 15 times but hey ho... Drugs aren't new. Strong cider isn't new. An epidemic of rough sleeping is new. Benefit sanctions are new. A squeeze on council services imposed by central government is new. Where's the logic in saying that these people are making a lifestyle choice?
On 14 Mar 2017 at 5:16pm Tim wrote:
So if you examine the problem of homelessness in a forensic way, what is the real root cause? And I mean real root cause. i.e. the original failing that causes other failings along the chain, leading to homelessness.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 1:01am King of Sussex wrote:
Even if they are making a lifestyle choice, one has to ask why are the numbers of people taking up this option escalating so dramatically?
Our government must be;
1. Managing the economy so poorly that people are losing their jobs and homes
or
2. Cutting welfare to a degree that the vulnerable are not being looked after
or
3. Encouraging us all, by example or instruction, to fleece the naive and maximise income through minimal costs and effort.
Any businessman in the land will bite your hand off if you’d offer them a profit stream that doesn’t need any effort or investment. Screw what the public think, this is FREE money - isn’t that the right attitude?
Every self-respecting Tory voter should welcome the sight of increasing homelessness as a product of Tory policy, not moan about it.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 2:04am Billy Bigot wrote:
Most of these so called homeless people have penthouses in Mayfair,live on champagne and smoked salmon and drive gold plated rollers and have private jets..Don`t be fooled by these spongers.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 8:49am 70s kid wrote:
Since when was homelessness a 'new issue'? There have always been homeless dossers, many choose it because they cant do 'real life'. Practically 100% of homeless are booze and drug addicts.

On 15 Mar 2017 at 9:08am Dixie Normus wrote:
Personal details? Hardly, Billy called her Nationwide girl. She may be homeless/have some issues with drink/alcohol, but still has a name is still is a person. People may read this and next time they see her stop and say - It's Jade isn't it, how are you etc. Rather than walk past moaning at the 'Nationwide girl' making the town look bad. I haven't put her full name, who her mum is named her family, where they live etc etc so DO ONE!
On 15 Mar 2017 at 9:33am Clifford wrote:
Yes, it's pretty obvious every 20 years or so millions decide they can't be bothered to work and the 'unemployed' numbers go up, sometimes as high as in the 1930s and 1980s. And when the weather turns fine loads of people decide they'll sit around in the streets pretending to be 'homeless'. And in Africa, every so often people decide what fun it will be to stop eating so they can claim charity as 'starving'. The main thing is to blame anyone calling themselves 'unemployed' and 'homeless', smugly thinking it won't ever happen to us.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 10:12am Billy wrote:
Dixie Normus, Nationwide Girl boards a train from London Road Brighton. She often travels in the company of another girl. Both well dressed, both have valid tickets and both holding lucid conversations on their phones. Yet, when she gets to Lewes she adopts a diferent persona.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 10:31am Terry wrote:
Firstly, Dixie, sure people will stop and talk to her now you've let people know her name. Sure they will. And they won't walk past thinking, oh, there's that girl who's addicted to drugs and can't live at home because she steals money from her family, i'll give her a wide birth!
Secondly, Billy, pretty sure you have the wrong person there.
Thirdly, whoever thinks homelessness is a 'lifestyle choice' needs to spend some time working with those effected by this issue. People are effected by many factors which lead to homelessness, often things beyond their control, often an inability to cope with the things that have happened to them. They may 'choose' to try and escape these things in some way or other i.e. drugs, drink, fleeing violence, but it is never a positive choice.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 12:06pm Reality Check wrote:
Drugs is a lifestyle choice.
On 15 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm Terry wrote:
Drugs 'are' a lifestyle choice.
They can be when first used, yes, but addiction is not a choice. Addiction is an illness and often requires support to be addressed.

On 15 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm Reality Check wrote:
1. People who correct other peoples spellings/grammar on forums are smug knobs.
2. Anyone who starts taking drugs without realizing the consequences are plain stupid.

On 15 Mar 2017 at 5:03pm terry wrote:
I bet you checked that 3 times before posting!
On 15 Mar 2017 at 7:03pm Billy wrote:
Hi terry, no I am confident in my observation. When I last saw her (Jade), she got off the train at Lewes wearing a long maxi length light blue denim skirt, tan boots, and carrying a large "supermarket type" bag on her shoulder. Her companion went into the station off licence while Jade waited outside, rolled herself a cigarette and made a phone call. Scary huh? No, I'm just observant while waiting for my lift home.
On 16 Mar 2017 at 7:14pm Scrounger wrote:
Jade is not homeless, and don't feel sorry for her at all. She's had many people reach out to help her, but she's refused it for one reason or another. If you lurk around town when she's finished her "shift" you can often see her trying to pawn off her change (often £60+ a day) to the charcoal grill and any other shop that's still open.
Her, and all the others that sit around begging in this town are nothing but thieving degenerate scum. It's about time something is done about it.
On 20 Mar 2017 at 6:15pm Scrounger wrote:
Saw Jade today walking around town with her mum in all clean new looking clothes, smartly dressed and she appeared to be having a lucid conversation with her too. Homeless my arse!

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Crest 118:132
The Lewes Crest

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell