Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Home Schooling

On 18 Oct 2016 at 12:47pm Billy wrote:
For or Against? My neighbour has a 6 year old who is schooled at home. Plays on his own and never mixes with others of his own age. Mum very risk averse - won't allow him in the garden unless he is wearing gloves!
On 18 Oct 2016 at 12:50pm Mrs p wrote:
Way too much info there, won't it be possible to identify this little one? Not sure we should be discussing a child on this forum
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:22pm Concerned wrote:
I definitely think this child needs to be identified, if only so that his neighbour (who seems to obsessed with said 6 year old) can be locked up.
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:28pm Shocked wrote:
Some countries don't start school till 7. Don't forget universal schooling was originally set up at the behest of factory owners so both parents could work. Nowadays our enslavement to usury means many children see less of their parents than is ideal.
Lewes schools are pretty good but they don't suit everyone.
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:35pm Tom Jones wrote:
It's not unusury to be in debt to anyone
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm Dear John wrote:
I have an ASD kiddie who's having terrible problems accessing school through lack of resources and funding. Regretfully, home schooling is looking like our only option. So dont judge too harshly.
On 18 Oct 2016 at 1:49pm mint wrote:
It's none of your business. Strange thing to post on a local forum.
On 18 Oct 2016 at 7:13pm Anonymous wrote:
My 4 year old started school last month in reception year. I had to fight tooth and nail to get the school to agree to part time hours until my child turns 5.
By law, a child doesn't have to start school at all, or they can do part time hours, until the term after they turn 5. But the local authority doesn't tell you this when you are contacted by them to apply for schools, and the schools themselves keep very quiet about it. The LEA certainly does not mention home schooling as even being an option.
My child has already had decisions made for them by their teacher without consulting me that I wouldn't have authorised had I known about them, and I don't entirely agree with the way their day is being structured, or the level of expectations the teachers have for the children at this young age, or the way the teachers speak so strictly to the children and patronisingly to the parents.
Home education is looking very appealing to me right now and I think that parents who opt for this approach are standing up to the system by choosing a way of educating their child that suits them and their child better. Good for them. Good for your neighbour.
(P.S. schools are very risk averse too.)
On 18 Oct 2016 at 7:18pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
There are many reasons why people home school. In my experience, the majority turn to it after all the other avenues are exhausted, although there are some that believe it is better. I think the most constructive approach is to lend the parent a sympathetic, non-judgemental ear before coming to any conclusions.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle Penny 62:132
Lewes Castle Penny

Trump worse than Obama? GTFO. Trump claimed a lot of things, you'd be a fool to accept it. Drone strikes and bombing raids... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell