Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Holmes Comet threatens Uckfield!

On 31 Oct 2007 at 4:08am SHS wrote:
If you look north-east towards Uckfield and about 30 degrees above the horizon just after sunset you will see a bright and twinkling star. Yesterday at about 6 pm it was visible and I thought it was a stationary aeroplane! Only now do I see that this is the comet Holmes. This appears to have increased 2.5 times in diameter over the last few days due to an unprecedented explosion. I'm not an astronomer but this sort of unusual thing in the sky is almost as good as the Lewes fireworks. Put spaceweather skymap holmes october into google for more info.

On 31 Oct 2007 at 8:49am Geoff wrote:
How often does this comet appear in the night sky. I'm intrigued.

On 31 Oct 2007 at 8:52am Captain Kirk wrote:
Very interesting Sky High Sam.

On 31 Oct 2007 at 10:47pm zola wrote:
SHS,are you out there?
Where did you say that comet was? Am I too late? My view(And it is a stunner) looks east,over the castle.I've been looking and can't see a very bright star...

On 31 Oct 2007 at 10:52pm zola wrote:
Don;t worry,just looked on that website you gave us,it's in the West and visible after sundown.Try tomorrow.
I wonder if it's on Google Stars??

On 1 Nov 2007 at 6:05am SHS wrote:
Well, putting in a link may have been why I was banned from this forum before, but here goes. Prefix this with htt then p then : then two slashes:
spaceweather.com SLASH images2007 SLASH 24oct07 SLASH skymap_north_holmes.gif
This clearly shows the comet to be in the NE. However, that same evening I did see something almost identical in the west - that may have really been an aircraft (unless the sky is full of exploding comets). Too cloudy last night.

On 21 May 2008 at 6:03am Soozyvornor wrote:
Tech Item.com
We make searching for everyday Tech, PC parts and gadgets a breeze! Pulling together the BIGGEST on-line stores in the US and Canada, we give you more choice on more Tech all the time. This means you save time and money...
Tech Item.com

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

I donít think Dominic is letting him out. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane