Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

High Street shops lost to housing

On 31 Jul 2006 at 4:21pm A Sole Trader wrote:
Small shops in the town centre are being converted from retail to housing for financial greed,never to return.These smaller shops with accomodation above or rear are the small traders last chance as larger properties have no accomodation and high over heads.
Plus the character of the High Street will be lost for ever.

On 31 Jul 2006 at 6:07pm Lord Pike wrote:
It is a huge loss. However, I think that people in Lewes would be more upset if there weren't so many small shops selling useless things at exhorbitant prices. If I want to buy a pair of jeans for 150, there's a shop near the 15th Century Bookshop that caters for that. If I want overpriced designer kitchenware I can choose from a selection of places. However, if I want a loo roll, newspaper or anything vaguely practical, my options are limited.

On 31 Jul 2006 at 7:50pm SHS wrote:
So we have Tesco's (British & best). Debateable how much of a threat Tesco's is to small shops. If we had no supermarkets, half of Lewes and most of the surrounding villagers would be jumping into their cars to leave Lewes and go to a town that did have a supermarket. At least Tesco's is some kind of attraction - I reckon that 30 to 50% of the people visiting Tesco's also visit the small shops.
Talking of parking, why has no-one built an underground multi-storey car-park like they have all over France? County Hall would be a good site - cover it with trees and stick the car park underneath. Or build it in the flood plain - more central and would act as a useful drain to prevent flooding.....

On 1 Aug 2006 at 5:02pm muffin wrote:
we all love tesco dont knock it its cheap and good value why should i go to small shops and pay over the odds for it talking of underground car parks yes good idea but they are moving county hall to polegate some time so yes maybe even a multistory car park there would be good

On 1 Aug 2006 at 5:13pm Asoletrader wrote:
Lord Pike, very true but some yuppies and titled customers will pay these prices.Try Ron's stores mount pleasant if you're caught short &need the Loo roll.
SHS Great idea an under ground car park doubling as a storm sump drain.Not to sure of the origin of Tescos. Shame they don't sell only British fruit & veg and meat when available instead of tastless imports. Blairs 3 phase policy on farming is a Joke anti live stock and cultivation and squeeze the farmer out of business.So Tesco and us will will have to suffer the imports and pay the price.

On 1 Aug 2006 at 5:24pm Barking up the wrong tree wrote:
There is already a under ground fallout bunker below county hall so maybe a car park would be possible.Just how big is it, does anyone know?
Now danger of flooding

On 2 Aug 2006 at 1:17am Brian wrote:
Can someone teach "muffin" how to use punctuation please.
Thank you.

On 2 Aug 2006 at 5:24pm muffin wrote:
we did not lern that at my school as it was approved lol

On 6 Aug 2006 at 5:49pm Frank Bough wrote:
Hmm why do you think it would be good to lose County Hall to Polegate? sure the building's are eyesores but the potential loss of business that the employees create could be bad, many people might move out of Lewes, which has the knock on effect of trade etc...... and let's face it that if they knocked down County Hall they'd simply build luxury houses for 450,000 upwards with 3 'reasonably priced starter homes at only 300,00
And as for Tescos not affecting small business? what planet are you people on?!?!.....Tescos and others like it are totally responsible for small shops going out of business... I know, I used to run one!

On 7 Aug 2006 at 3:46pm Roger Ramjet wrote:
I can't see it happening. All the idlers at CH are never going to move voluntarily from Lewes to to the doubtful 'charms' of Polegate where the amenities consist of a crap high street blocked by the constantly busy level crossing. If I was faced with that I'd go and get a real job.

On 7 Aug 2006 at 7:03pm muffin wrote:
its true mate been on the cards for years now but dont worry they not even laid a brick there yet but lots of room in polegate escc will find somewhere plenty of brown field site escc are not fussy are they

On 7 Aug 2006 at 7:05pm pickles wrote:
Frank Bough you are just a sore looser

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Rugby Club 78:132
Lewes Rugby Club

There is not so much of a housing shortage; more a case of not enough households for preferred lifestyles. In the past, single... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell