Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

High Security Bike Stockade

On 21 May 2015 at 8:58am Traveller wrote:
The brand new bike shelter at the train station... apparently you can't open it unless you have a Southern 'Key' card.
Great. So... if you don't want a Key, don't need one, don't understand them, don't trust the Internet, are a casual station user, a tourist, or a visitor, you have to chain your bike to the metal fences or a handy lamp post, hope it doesn't rain, and trust in your padlock.
On 21 May 2015 at 10:49am TDA wrote:
Just had a look.
They should put a roof over the existing bike racks for the rest of us plebs. Much cheaper. What if you lock your bike up then lose the key card?
& I don't want a key card, I use the old tickets for my tax records. National Rail and / or Southern really are a bunch of "^%*!
On 21 May 2015 at 1:20pm That's a stockade? wrote:
Remember the Alamo - that's a stockade.
On 21 May 2015 at 4:18pm Non-Cycling cynic... wrote:
Ahh, Southern will say you need one of "their" cards to help keep the stockade secure from unwanted visitors who might try and make off with your trust velocipedes... but a cycnic might say that you need a "Southern" issued access card so that, in time, they can start to charge you for use of the stockade by imposing a fee for ownership of the card.....
So, chaining your trusty bike to an accessible lampost/fencepost or fence avoids the need for a card in the short term...but beware, how long before Southern start "fining" anyone who leaves a bike parked/chained up in an "unapproved" place.. and guess where will become the only "approved" place within the station area....
They will legitimise any future charges by the argument that they "are providing a more secure environment for your two-wheel steeds" than the unsecured fence/lampost to which you might otherwise choose to chain it.
The obligatory Key card is but the thin end of the wedge I fear...
"any and all means of taking hard-earned cash off their customers" seems to be the way forward for most organisations these days.
On 21 May 2015 at 5:30pm xplorer1 wrote:
But but but...we all pay to park our cars, and accept that. Why should bicycles, monocycles, scooters, horses or anything else be treated differently?
On 21 May 2015 at 6:05pm Traveller wrote:
Because, xplorer1, using a bike or motorcycle or horse is better for the environment and take up far less space on railway land. Perhaps you could argue your point the other way - why should you have to pay to park your car at the station? Are you going to stick up for their rights to charge you for, basically, no service whatsoever? I mean, tickets are expensive enough, maybe they should be paying you to park your car there.
There are more and more cycles at the station every day. I don't think the new space-age shelter will be able to cope with all of them, so agree with Non Cycling Cynic entirely. And if it goes wrong as often as the ticket barriers, no-one will be putting their bikes in there anyway!
As I said before, they could have just put a roof over the existing bike racks. Or moved them under the stairs... Whatever.

On 21 May 2015 at 6:48pm Moomoo wrote:
Get with the times...about time Lewes dealt with it
On 21 May 2015 at 9:00pm xplorer1 wrote:
Traveller, the land on which we park our cars is a valuable asset - look at the developments at Liverpool St and elsewehere. Network Rail could sell it off, but they choose to earn income from it in another way, in operating it as a car-park. The service they're offering you is the convenience of not having to walk to the station.
On 22 May 2015 at 6:50am Driver wrote:
Traveller, riding a bike-or even worse, a horse- is NOT green when used for commuting at busy times on the roads. Your progress will impede normal people in cars and buses, forcing them to emit more fumes by driving in lower gears.
Do your cycling at quieter times; preferably on one of the free (to you) cycle paths.
On 22 May 2015 at 8:38am Belladonna wrote:
Driver what a load of nonsense.
By the way anyone notice that Holland - which prioritises bikes over cars - is the happiest country ?

On 22 May 2015 at 11:45am cyclist wrote:
Driver, I think your post deserves some sort of prize.
On 22 May 2015 at 12:13pm Zzz.. wrote:
Lycra clad leisure cyclists really p1ss me off. Especially in Barcombe where they congregate in large numbers and generally get in the way.

On 23 May 2015 at 7:01pm Bicyclist wrote:
But a Key Card is free. What's the problem?

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Snowdrop Stairs 105:132
Snowdrop Stairs

'The sooner politics gets out of the way of medicine the better for all concerned.'

Health is a political issue. Thaty's why... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo