Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Here's a thought ...

On 29 Oct 2017 at 5:07pm Reality Check wrote:
Rather than direct their ire at a very small group of people, living in a wonderful but let's face it pretty small town, who choose to paint their face a different colour once a year, would not the efforts of those who want to stamp out racism be better directed elsewhere? Think big. Maybe demonstrate against marches organised by the English Defence League? Or start a debate with just one of the millions of UK citizens who voted to leave the EU because they felt there were 'a few too many foreigners around here'. Surely that is the bigger battle?
On 29 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm Anonymous wrote:
Because it's all too easy to stay at home behind a keyboard and pick a target rather than getting their hands dirty. Imagine if they did try this on with an extreme right wing group.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 5:53pm Think what you’ve just written wrote:
Reality check
You assume that everyone that voted Brexit is racist
Just over half the vote then
You share the same logic as the record shop witch
On 29 Oct 2017 at 6:00pm Reality Check wrote:
"You assume that everyone who voted Brexit is racist". No TWYTW. Read what I posted again. Carefully this time please. I do not say that, or assume that at all. Some people who voted to leave did so because they did not want to be governed by the ECJ. Others did so because they felt that too many foreigners were allowed into this country.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 6:17pm @realitycheck wrote:
Sorry, but you just accused millions of people of being racist. Please read what you wrote again "just one of the millions of UK citizens who voted to leave the EU because they felt there were 'a few too many foreigners around here'"
On 29 Oct 2017 at 6:34pm Anonymous wrote:
But they did vote that wayfor those reasons. They were sold that lie.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 6:35pm Reality Check wrote:
Yep, I probably did. Though 'xenophobic' may be a better word. That is the demographic that was targeted by at least some of the 'Leave' campaign material. Maybe that material had no impact on voting patterns, and there are zero xenophobes in this country? Who knows. If I have got it wrong, I apologise.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm Reality Check wrote:
Oh yeah. And some may have voted 'Leave' because they believe we are super brilliant at making stuff, and once we have freed our shackles of the EU, people will come knocking at our door to set up trade deals. Let's not go there.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 7:19pm Think what you’ve just written wrote:
Yes Reality Check I’ve just reread your post very slowly and ……you’re still a patronising Cnut
On 29 Oct 2017 at 7:30pm Pitchfork wielder wrote:
Not everyone who voted Leave was racist.
But everyone who was racist voted Leave.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 7:41pm Bert wrote:
wouldn't it just be simpler to ban bonfire, then we can all have a quieter life !!
On 29 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm Bonfiregirl wrote:
ha Good luck with that one!
On 29 Oct 2017 at 9:35pm Clifford wrote:
Pitchfork wielder wrote: 'Not everyone who voted Leave was racist. But everyone who was racist voted Leave.'

Of course, you got that information from an opinion poll so can you let us have a link? Otherwise we'll think you're just parroting a bit of idiocy. By the way, what's not 'racist' about a European-only project?
On 29 Oct 2017 at 9:40pm @Clifford wrote:
Can you indicate one opinion from a racist individual who voted remain because they wished to preserve European unity in the face of the brown/black hordes wishing to flood our white Christian continent?
On 29 Oct 2017 at 9:40pm Reality Check wrote:
I can't speak for Pitchfork Wielder, Clifford, I'm sure she or he will be along shortly to put across her or his point of view. Personally, I have no evidence at all that more xenophobic people voted leave than did not. But, given the campaign rhetoric, it's pretty frigging obvious, is it not?
On 29 Oct 2017 at 9:42pm @clifford wrote:
He is right though isn't he? Idiot
On 29 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm Gus wrote:
It is so easy to throw out the accusation of "racist" to those who support Brexit, isn't it? Don't you think it's just possible that many of those who voted for Brexit are distrustful of being ruled by an unelected organisation which is, we are told by those who should be in the know, a corrupt gravy train. Clearly the EU doesn't like us, so I can't see that they have the will to treat us fairly.
On 29 Oct 2017 at 10:22pm Reality Check wrote:
It is easy to do that, yes, Gus. I think it is beyond possible that many of those who voted to leave the EU did so because they did not like being ruled by an unelected body. I think it is pretty much nailed on. Equally, I am pretty confident that a lot of those who voted to leave the EU did so because they were concerned about the number of foreign-born people in this country. I would put people in each of those camps in the millions.
On 30 Oct 2017 at 5:45am Torchy McTorchface wrote:
I would put money on most of those who voted leave having no idea how the EU actually works which is why they use words like "unelected" and "gravy train", because it suits their bias and gives them a perceived justification for sabotaging this country. The truth that the EU is more democratic and has greater transparency and oversight than our own parliamentary system is a bit inconvenient for them though.
On 30 Oct 2017 at 5:54pm + wrote:
Torchy: a pronouncement from Lalaland. If you studied the doings of the EU you would have a different opinion.

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Portal 74:132
Lewes Portal

HS2 springs to mind. What a waste of money and environment. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington