Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Henry Cooper RIP

On 2 May 2011 at 11:41pm Rookie wrote:
Such a shame. A lovely bloke. Did anyone else on here meet him when he was in Lewes many years ago? He officially opened the Safeway store that became Morrisons that became Waitrose.

On 4 May 2011 at 9:20pm jrsussex wrote:
He was indeed a nice fellow, I used to be an avid follower of pro-boxing and got to know him back in the 70.s, 80's and 90's. The left hook that put Cassius Clay, as he was then, on the canvas was undoubtably what gave him his fame and the attraction of the public to him. His boxing record is actually very poor. He never beat a top international fighter and just happened to be the best of the UK heavyweight bunch at that time, Brian London, Joe Erskine etc.
Bugner did deserve to win his fight with him despite Cooper's refusing to admit it, I was there on the night. Harry Gibbs was probably the only referee of that time that had the courage to lift Bugner's arm in victory. I don't think Cooper ever spoke to Gibbs again after that fight.

On 4 May 2011 at 9:24pm jrsussex wrote:
Doesn't seem to have posted. See if this will do the trick.

On 5 May 2011 at 5:30pm Clifford wrote:
What a decent man he was. A founding member of the Anti-Nazi League too, I understand.

On 7 May 2011 at 8:19am jrsussex wrote:
Incidentally I also met Ali twice during the 80's, once at the Thomas A'Beckett pub in the Old Kent Road ( famous training gym for boxers in those days) and then again in the Grosvenor House Hotel London. On the first occasion he signed a pair of my boxing gloves, which I have to this day, alongside Henry Cooper's.

32 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Station Street Lewes 111:132
Station Street Lewes

I was aware the Duke of Edinburgh attended a family members funeral in Nazi Germany as a youngster. I'm no fan of the monarchy or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington