Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Help me make a Lewes Pound coin

On 13 Mar 2011 at 11:09pm Harry Trimble wrote:
Hello Lewes
My name is Harry Trimble. I am final year design student from the University of Brighton.
For my degree show in June I am exploring the idea of 'product miles' (food miles for products) and how products can be manufacturer more locally,
For part of this I want to whether it would be possible for Lewes to produce its own tender for the Lewes Pound. This being in the shape of a iron coin.
This is more an experiment than a business venture and I have no intention to undermine the existing format of the Lewes Pound. I just want to see how local I can make a coin, from its iron coming from the Weald to it being cast using the techniques once used at Lewes's old foundry.
SO I AM CALLING UPON ANY CALLING UPON ANYONE FROM LEWES WHO WOULD LIKE TO TAKE PART IN THIS LOCAL EXPERIMENT. This could range helping me dig up some ironstone to be smelted then cast or inputting as to what motifs the coin's design should have.
Email me at hrt10@uni.brighton.ac.uk or give me a call on 07760816534, if you like to ask any questions or even take part
Thank you

On 14 Mar 2011 at 11:05am I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Dearest Harry,
For the Motif:-
On the coins obverse side a car slowly sinking in flood water being ticketed by two wardens... rampant.
On the reverse can I suggest a medely of smiley local councillors with either fingers in ears or thumbs up b*ms.
Lettering on coin edge possibly "Per vas nefandum"?
PhilX

On 14 Mar 2011 at 2:02pm Hoist wrote:
Excellent - but for those of us without a classical education?

On 14 Mar 2011 at 3:04pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
"Glory be to our councillors" Hoist.
PhilX

On 14 Mar 2011 at 4:07pm bastian wrote:
Talk to Ben Autie at the blacksmiths in fisher street,he may be able to help out with casting.

On 14 Mar 2011 at 4:08pm Thrupny Bits wrote:
Motiff: Castle. Cliff. Bonfire. River.

On 14 Mar 2011 at 8:14pm Huw wrote:
Cliff who?

On 14 Mar 2011 at 10:04pm Vox Populi wrote:
Thanks for the laugh Phil.
Harry, I think Waitrose have ruined your thunder as they already manufacture a bright green Lewes coin.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 8:49am citizen wrote:
Harry, sorry about some of the pillocks on this thread. They seem to think it's clever to poke fun at good ideas. I second the idea of going to the blacksmiths on Fisher St. It depends what message you want to convey: resilience, power, creativity. Personally, I like the river and hills motif; it's more modern than the traditional symbols of power like buildings, religion and sovreignty. Good luck with the project, let us know how you get on.

On 15 Mar 2011 at 10:43am I don't live in lewes... wrote:
A pleasure Vox Pop'
It's good to laugh.
PhilX

On 15 Mar 2011 at 12:07pm sashimi wrote:
Harry, why don't you talk to the people who run the Lewes Pound (see link). I have a feeling the law is more restrictive on coins than on notes - and coinage is a monopoly of the Royal Mint. But they should be able to advise you.

Check it out here »

On 15 Mar 2011 at 12:51pm MC wrote:
Iron used to be extracted from mines in North Sussex and the taken by barge down the Ouse in the short period it was used for conveying goods. The water in some of the ditches around Sharpsbridge (above Barcombe) is orange. I am told that this is due the high iron content in the ground. Probably a bit too much for your project to start extracting it again though. :-)

On 15 Mar 2011 at 5:13pm Thrupny Bits wrote:
Huw -
The cliff. The big white thing below the golf course. I can imagine the shape of the rolling hills or the white of the cliff embossed on a coin.
Not Cliffe. That would be antiques shops, opticians and cobbles. Too much detail...

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle from below 61:132
Lewes Castle from below

I was aware the Duke of Edinburgh attended a family members funeral in Nazi Germany as a youngster. I'm no fan of the monarchy or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan