Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Help a neighbouring village please

On 17 Oct 2015 at 12:10pm Mark wrote:
Plumpton desperately needs your help. Network Rail are going to remove the listed crossing gates and take them off site for storage (I think next weekend). In their words it is the only way they can safely reopen the road. If the gates are removed it is almost certain that they will never be put back. Any ideas anyone about what can be done? Any railway people out there?
On 17 Oct 2015 at 3:51pm Fat Controller wrote:
Find where they are stored and liberate them
On 17 Oct 2015 at 5:34pm Mark wrote:
I'm sure there have been Railway Signallers post on here before. Just want to know why the gates can't be operated manually right now to allow the road to reopen. When they have broken before, Network Rail put men there to open and close them, and chain them shut to allow trains through safely. The gates are still able to swing on their hinges - I saw them open last Sunday!
On 17 Oct 2015 at 6:02pm Signalman wrote:
As well as the proposed removal of the gates, the line has been resignalled as well, taking away control of the signals near the gates and transferring them to Three Bridgeas Area Signalling Centre which will be responsible for the new barrier. A far as Network Rail is concerned it is more or less a done deal.
On 17 Oct 2015 at 6:20pm Mark wrote:
Hi Signalman, yes, I realise that new signals have been introduced. You must know your Rule Book though - level crossing attendants protecting signals etc? Given that the gates still swing on their hinges, could it be done? (Yes, I know it would be balls aching and labour intensive, but could it be done?)
On 17 Oct 2015 at 6:30pm Signalman wrote:
Not without creating huge delay - which is what Network Rail and Southern fight about on an hourly basis. Money, money, money.
On 17 Oct 2015 at 6:59pm Mark wrote:
Hi Signaller, thanks. Much as I thought. Trouble is, the characters from Network Rail categorically said it wasn't allowable !!!
On 17 Oct 2015 at 7:14pm Signalman wrote:
Such things are only 'allowable' in a failure situation. So they are correct.
On 17 Oct 2015 at 7:39pm Peasant wrote:
I have always thought Lewes DC planning enforcement officers laughably ineffective.
This is their chance to prove me wrong.
Don't hold your breath though.
On 17 Oct 2015 at 8:28pm Mark wrote:
Hi Signaller, sorry to keep going on.....I've just read about an incident at Wem Level Crossing (I think in Wales) where a train went through while barriers were raised. It seems to be the same type of equipment that is to be used at Plumpton.
On the Wem incident, Network Rail said '"The barriers are designed to remain raised if something is detected beneath them, and the equipment is designed to stop the normal movement of trains if any object is detected on the crossing," the firm said.
"In this situation, the driver of each train is automatically stopped before getting to the crossing.
"Train drivers are then allowed to continue very slowly at caution with the specific instruction to only proceed over the crossing if it is clear to do so, the red flashing lights are operating and road traffic is not moving."
Scary stuff!!!
On 18 Oct 2015 at 9:23am Signalman wrote:
Mark - this was three years ago and is not the exact same system to be used at Plumpton.
On 18 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm Mark wrote:
Signalman, appreciated. You know your stuff!

On 18 Oct 2015 at 8:23pm Mark wrote:
Anyhow, Network Rail have gone public and confirmed they are going to remove existing gates next weekend, install new barriers and then appeal to the Secretary of State. I can feel the political machine moving already.........

On 18 Oct 2015 at 8:49pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I suppose Network Rail think they're too big and too important for planning law to apply to them.
Sadly, they're probably right.

On 18 Oct 2015 at 9:15pm Mark wrote:
Penalty is max of 2 years imprisonment or unlimited fines.
BTW - check out Plumpton level crossing page on facebook. Take a look at the Sheriffs and their big 4x4s Its like 'No Country for Old Men' at the moment !!!

On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:03am Posted at crossing wrote:
There is a court order brought against Network Rail by LDC (will wonders never cease?) posted now at the crossing. A photo of it is on Twitter. Will see if I can find link again and post.

There is a court order brought against Network Rail by LDC (will wonders never cease?) posted now at the crossing. A photo of it is on Twitter. Will see if I can find link again and post.

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes to Uckfield Line 87:132
Lewes to Uckfield Line

You're being obtuse. We weren't talking about ALL households (and you probably knew that already). We were talking about how when... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde