Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Haye vs Klitschko

On 29 Jun 2011 at 8:06am huw wrote:
For anyone interested, we will be showing the Haye vs Klitschko fight at the Elephant and Castle on Saturday.
There will be a small charge (£3) to watch although it will be free to get into the pub if you are not in the area where the match will be shown.
Hope that all makes sense.

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:04am hi ho wrote:
match? huw, seen much boxing in your time?

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:24am 'ere be monsters wrote:
A boxing match typically consists of a determined number of three-minute rounds, a total of up to 12 rounds (formerly 15). Definition on wikipedia

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:34am huw wrote:
hi ho, not seen a lot, but for me a sport is either a game, match or competition.
I suppose I could have gone with bout, but match is just as valid.
Or are you referring to the quality of boxing nowadays?

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:38am hi ho wrote:
I stand corrected - sorry huw.
I kind of assumed bout and fight was the common vernacular, match to me sounds wrong. but you live and learn

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:42am hi ho wrote:
No just being sarcastic - sorry
Feel I should come in and buy a pint now just to say sorry

On 29 Jun 2011 at 10:56am huw wrote:
Apology accepted.
Feel free to come in for that beer.

On 29 Jun 2011 at 11:05am hi ho wrote:
what time is the er fight, match, bout etc?

On 29 Jun 2011 at 11:10am huw wrote:
Starts at 8pm, but the main event should be at 10.30/11pm

On 29 Jun 2011 at 11:11am Antonio wrote:
Just out of interest, why the £3 charge?

On 29 Jun 2011 at 12:10pm Casias Chalk wrote:
My guess is it costs about a fiver per punch to put on

On 29 Jun 2011 at 12:53pm Don King wrote:
Hi Huw how are you going to stop cunning customers who are too tight to pay £3 from slowly moving into to the boxing area?
Just a thought.
x Don

On 29 Jun 2011 at 12:59pm jrsussex wrote:
One of the most important people in the world of boxing is the match-maker, he ensures that both fighters are of the correct weight and evenly matched in experience.
As to the £3 fee, very cheap for a boxing fan to watch such a fight. Tickets prices for that fight will be very high. In addition the fee paid by a publican to screen the fight legally will be several hundred pounds so for £3 I suggest any fight fan grabs the bargain.

On 29 Jun 2011 at 3:14pm Antonio wrote:
Thanks for explaning that jrsussex. I didn't realise the pub was having to pay extra to screen the fight.

On 29 Jun 2011 at 8:04pm jrsussex wrote:
Hi Ho - Amateur boxing = bouts, professional boxing = fights.

On 30 Jun 2011 at 12:26am The Maggot. wrote:
All boxing is fixed now. You see better fights outside the charcol grill on a friday night. And at least they're not pay per view.

On 30 Jun 2011 at 10:23am huw wrote:
Thanks JR, you're right. It costs a few hundred pounds to show the boxing, so the hope is that the cover charge will help to pay for this as there's very little chance that enough beer will be sold to cover the cost on it's own.
Don, hopefully the two staff covering the room where the boxing will be shown will be enough to prevent the unscrupulous "wandering" in

On 30 Jun 2011 at 2:18pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Gwyn and I have already made plans to do a shoddy job at work Saturday night, leave early and come and watch it so save us some seats.

On 30 Jun 2011 at 10:15pm huw wrote:
See you then Mr Can Do.

On 1 Jul 2011 at 10:39am Unda t'thum wrote:
My girlfriend is staying with me Saturday night which makes it very difficult for me to get to the Elly for the boxing. She won't want to come to the Elly and I wouldn't want her there anyway so any ideas on an excuse to get me out?

On 2 Jul 2011 at 8:58am Pieman wrote:
I suggest you just tell her your popping round to see your other bird, you probably get in less trouble.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Willeys Bridge 131:132
Willeys Bridge

Such wisdom in one so young. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell