Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Happy Hunting

10
8
On 26 Dec 2012 at 6:45pm Boris. wrote:
What a fatastic turnout of people out supporting the hunt up in the High Street this morning. What a speech as well, made me proud to be both a Lewesian and British.
Rule Britania!
1
2
On 26 Dec 2012 at 7:25pm Bloke wrote:
What happens at a hunt now that we have a hunting ban? Do foxes still get chased by dogs? Guess I should have turned up to find out!
3
1
On 26 Dec 2012 at 7:45pm Clifford wrote:
I trust the next legalise cannabis rally will have your support, Boris.

(PS - I'm against the hunting ban and for the legalisation of canabis).
3
1
On 26 Dec 2012 at 7:48pm Local wrote:
I was impressed that the speech referred properly and clearly to "fox-hunting on Boxing Day", not PC nonsense about hunting scents etc.
2
1
On 26 Dec 2012 at 8:07pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Personally I'm not at all surprised how much more popular hunt events have become now they are so explicitly a bracing cross-country ride, rather than a one-sided men-and-dogs versus fox contest.
Even pre-ban very few of the participants actually wanted to kill a fox. The great majority were there for the occasion, and for the ride.
Every year the 200,000 adult foxes in the UK produce 400,000 fox cubs, yet at the end of the year there are 200,000 foxes again. The hunts kill only a tiny proportion; we run over far more each year in our cars.
The truth the hunts prefer not to tell is that before foxhunting started in this area in the 1820s (East Sussex Hunt started in Ringmer by bored artillery officers after Waterloo) there were almost no foxes in the Lewes area. To ensure there were enough to hunt, the Lord Gage of the day insisted his tenants stopped controlling them so effectively, and planted special coverts to build up the population. All rather counter-intuitive: if you want to see more foxes in the countryside, support the hunt and drive more slowly on country roads!
 
 
On 26 Dec 2012 at 8:20pm bloke wrote:
The 'bloke' posting above is not me. Please get your own name. There's already a bloke2.
6
2
On 26 Dec 2012 at 8:35pm Never!!! wrote:
NEVER to pro hunt! I was made to hunt as a child and witnessed a kill, (and then blooded at the age of 10). It totally traumertised me but i was led to believe it was a humane sport by my parents. Utter rubbish.We all know its barbabaric and not needed! Unless u know what your talking about and have experienced a hunt first hand you'll never know!!!!
2
 
On 26 Dec 2012 at 8:41pm the old mayor wrote:
We wondered why the High Street was covered in horse droppings (sh-t)
12
 
On 26 Dec 2012 at 8:57pm Harold wrote:
I just thought it was because there had been a council meeting...
5
5
On 26 Dec 2012 at 10:00pm ADT wrote:
I don't care about foxhunting.
But the toffs on horses drinking brandy, looking down from their horses at the adoring plebs with their cameras and dogs and pseudo tweed I find depressing.
 
 
On 26 Dec 2012 at 10:38pm Bloke 2 wrote:
Hear. Hear original 'Bloke', either get your own name or be 'Bloke 3'
5
1
On 27 Dec 2012 at 12:13am paul wrote:
believe me ADT we don't look down on people i been riding horses in the hunt for 20 years we like a big turn out in the high street. it's makes it more special.
1
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 1:12am Local wrote:
Weren't they drinking mulled wine, not brandy? Didn't see a single hip-flask...
2
5
On 27 Dec 2012 at 6:00am Kettle wrote:
Shall we have a return to this too? What about dog fighting? Quite popular in some parts of London. Shall we set up a 'meet' down here?
I'm surprised at you, Clifford.
2
6
On 27 Dec 2012 at 8:28am Pete wrote:
Well, here we are in the 21st century and we still have humans chasing around on horses using dogs to rip apart foxes - not exactly what I would call progress. AND I know that foxes can be a vermin, but surely we've got better ways to control them ? We should be aiming to make this little blue dot a better place to live in, shouldn't we ?
 
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 9:57am bloke3 wrote:
Oi. I'm bloke3. Get your own name. Try bloke4.
 
2
On 27 Dec 2012 at 11:59am amy wrote:
I don't have a problem with the Hunt. However I do that the crowd with there many digs fowling the paths and not prepared to clear it up. I witness many people treading in it very unpleasant.
 
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 12:12pm Bloke5 wrote:
Yes - stick with Bloke 4 please
4
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 1:06pm Bloke7 wrote:
Surely if you have to pick up dog poo the same should apply to horses! Now that I would love to see, all the hunt suited and booted bagging up dung.
 
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 1:28pm amy wrote:
I agree with you, someone should have followed collecting the dung, any offers for next year!!
1
5
On 27 Dec 2012 at 3:16pm padster wrote:
typical toffs , the law is the law unless your a toff then you do as you please. You pretend to follow a scent but actually kill foxes in a cruel way. the will of the people in this country through parliament banned this cruel sport ( if you can call it a sport) so obey the law of the land. Recent prosecution by the RSPCA backs up my argumrnt that hunts break the law.
by the way you all look like fools in your stupid red coats.
Cameron too scared to send a free vote through parliament, why? because the ban would remain.
3
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 3:48pm Local wrote:
Bit of a difference there - most dogs eat meat and or fish and so their faeces are rather different to the recycled grass that is largely horse (and cow and rabbit) muck. And besides, there's no way the rozzers would enforce it as they'd have to pick up after their own horses too!
3
8
On 27 Dec 2012 at 4:55pm Burn em wrote:
It's about time we fine citizens of Lewes put a stop to this nonsense. The vast majority of the British public are opposed to hunting and, I suspect, in Lewes that majority would be even higher. There is a ban in place on this barbaric 'sport', but as the recent RSPCA-led convictions demonstrate, hunts still routinely kill foxes i.e. they are ripped to pieces by the hounds. We don't want these people, (or their horses or their dogs) in our town and we don't want their sycophantic and sickening supporters clogging up the high street. The vast majority have no connection with Lewes whatsoever but, as is their wont, feel it is there right to ride roughshod over our town and its surrounds. Not only that, but they think it is is their right to ride roughshod over the views of the majority of the British people and over the law of the land.
3
7
On 27 Dec 2012 at 5:12pm padster wrote:
Well said burn em, could not agree more.
3
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 5:30pm Bloke 8 wrote:
I look down on Bloke 7' but Bloke 1 looks up to Bloke 2' so the ones in the middle don't know where to look. I used to be against fox hunting but since then I have got some chickens so I have changed my mind. Bit selfish really.
3
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 5:43pm brixtonbelle wrote:
I have no objection to hunters chasing a scented rag across the countryside with landowners permission. But it's ridiculous for fox hunts to suggest that (as I heard on R4 the other day) that foxes are killed instantly and without pain when they are clearly not. By all means gather in the high street before a traditional bracing ride with dogs, it's a long-standing Lewes and country tradition and I have no problem with that part of it, in fact it's a good spectacle, but please leave the foxes alone !
4
2
On 27 Dec 2012 at 5:47pm Oswald wrote:
Burn em please don't assume that just because the majority of people on this forum would share your view that the same would apply to the people of Lewes as a whole. I recognized most of the people up there from around the town, all enjoying one of our great British traditions.
5
2
On 27 Dec 2012 at 6:10pm The Real Vast Majority wrote:
Indeed burn em, when you say the 'vast majority ' you actually mean the vast majority of twonks like yourself. Please don't speak for the rest of us
4
3
On 27 Dec 2012 at 6:26pm Burn em wrote:
The 'real' vast majority - You are incorrect I'm afraid. All the polls show a majority of the British public oppose any repeal of the ban on fox-hunting
3
1
On 27 Dec 2012 at 6:36pm Burn em wrote:
Oswald and Brixtonbelle - So, simply because something has existed and been practised for a long time, i.e a 'tradition' that makes it all right to continue doing it forever? I'm sure I don't need to point out all the things that were once carried out which, over time, became generally viewed as unacceptable in a modern, civilised society
3
3
On 27 Dec 2012 at 6:59pm Burn em wrote:
Brixtonbelle - I'm afraid it is not just a "bracing ride with dogs". I'm sure you can imagine what happens when that pack of highly excited dogs comes across the scent of a real fox (which they frequently do), give chase to that fox (which they frequently do) and then catch that fox (which they frequently do).
2
 
On 27 Dec 2012 at 7:19pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Burn em - if you read my post properly you will see I'm not defending fox hunting. I find it as abhorent as you. But I have no objection to a group of people riding out with dogs and following a rag. The hounds are highly trained to follow a certain scent and should be called off by their master should they be in any danger of catching a fox. If the hounds are not managed correctly and foxes are killed then of course prosecutions should follow. But I think some of your objections are based on class snobbery and that you object to any form of riding out.
1
3
On 27 Dec 2012 at 7:24pm Burn em wrote:
Brixtonbelle - That is simply not true. Drag hunting is routinely leading to the deaths of foxes because either the hunt is deliberately flouting the law and actually going after foxes or because it is virtually impossible to control a pack of dogs once they have the scent. The RSPCA has already brought one successful prosecution and (as indicated in today's papers) the League Against Cruel Sports is working on bringing at least three others
4
2
On 27 Dec 2012 at 9:18pm Tom wrote:
Some of these posts remind me of my new neighbour. She has just moved into our village, having lived in a town all her life. She is now complaining about the barbaric shooting of the "lovely pheasants" that takes place on land behind her house.
 
3
On 27 Dec 2012 at 9:36pm Burn em wrote:
Tom - Not sure I follow you. Which ones and in what way do some of these posts remind you of that?
1
2
On 27 Dec 2012 at 10:22pm Must I paint you a picture wrote:
My god burn em, you are fu.cking thick not to work that out
 
1
On 27 Dec 2012 at 10:30pm Burn em wrote:
Oh keep up "Must I paint you a picture". Let me explain. I am trying to get him/you to try to explain how living in a TOWN (shock horror) negates anyone having an opinion on what happens in a VILLAGE (!).


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

rye bonfire badge 112:143
rye bonfire badge

Were the Borough Zulus blacking up last night? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare