Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

H.S.B.C schemes. Widespread tax avoidance.

6
1
On 9 Feb 2015 at 4:21pm Only mugs pay tax wrote:
Widespread tax avoidance at H.S.B.C? I`m completely innocent,I knew nothing about it otherwise David Cameron wouldn't have appointed me as Minister of Trade would or ennobled me would he?
5
2
On 9 Feb 2015 at 4:37pm A Coulson wrote:
Absolutely right old mate.David Cameron knows what he is doing!
4
14
On 9 Feb 2015 at 4:58pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Another post not connected with Lewes. Just ignore it.
8
5
On 9 Feb 2015 at 5:21pm Sussex Dim wrote:
Another post critical of the parasitic criminal party I mean the wonderful tory party. Just ignore it.
7
1
On 9 Feb 2015 at 5:35pm JonnyBoy wrote:
Another post highlighting that we are not "in it together".
They are the Jimmy Savile's of the banking and wealth world. hiding in plain sight.
4
6
On 9 Feb 2015 at 5:46pm Old Bloke wrote:
Tax avoidance must be a good thing.
Didn't the great socialist Wedgewood Benn safeguard his hard earned? Probably a throwback to his aristocratic days.
Bone will sort it out and give it all to Africa (except his bit)
11
3
On 9 Feb 2015 at 5:51pm Clifford wrote:
Old Bloke, do you really believe that if people are against tax dodging they think it's okay if Labour politicians but wrong if Tories do it? How about doing a bit of thinking and seeing we may be against tax dodging full stop, whoever does it?
10
 
On 9 Feb 2015 at 7:26pm Bennite wrote:
Benn was not a tax dodger as far as I am aware. The peerage came from his Dad who was an MP who was made Viscount Stansgate in the days before life Peerages. They were quite well off though and he went to Eton, but contrary to the myth he was quite happy to talk about his privileged background background, in fact once he got going he was difficult to stop! He of course introduced an Act of Parliament to allow peerages to be disclaimed so that he could stand for election which he thought was the only fair way of getting into parliament. He only inherited the title because his older brother was killed in the RAF in the war.
3
3
On 9 Feb 2015 at 7:48pm Forum regular wrote:
OB. Just to let you know. I don't need to worry about my grammar and spelling, as unlike you, I don't try and undermine the validity of a post by picking out typos and errors instead. I am interested in the content, not the packaging.
Hard earned ....what?
Bone?
Give what to Africa?
Not a very clear post for us plebs I'm afraid. You see if you criticise us for being dim, you cannot also expect us to understand partial sentences. In fact, as you often say yourself , why are you wasting your time on us? Seems a bit foolish.
 
8
On 9 Feb 2015 at 9:26pm SOT wrote:
Yes its shocking how Ed Balls allowed this to happen back in 2007 although if this was the worst of his crimes how grateful the Nation would be.
6
2
On 9 Feb 2015 at 9:43pm wrote:
Erm... yeah... all that tells us is that right of centre parties are selfish and greedy.
I don't think anybody disputes that, indeed that's the thrust of the entire thread.
Your hole's getting deeper, a bigger spade might help.
7
2
On 9 Feb 2015 at 10:19pm Sanderson wrote:
The proof of wide spread malfeasance and major tax avoidance by U.K. nationals was only made available in 2010.Cameron acted swiftly and decisively..........................by making the head of H.S.B.C when all this criminality was going on Minister for Trade and making him a lord!
2
 
On 9 Feb 2015 at 10:44pm Money from narcotics wrote:
Trade minister Lord Green 'failed to halt flow of drugs cash' as HSBC boss.US Senate report shows that Lord Green was warned about money laundering linked to Mexican drugs cartels.

Check it out here »
 
8
On 9 Feb 2015 at 11:26pm Old Bloke wrote:
@Forum Regular - here is exactly what you wrote "Sometimes, OB it is hard to tell SOT and OB apart. (PS, I though you would like to know that the punctuation is incorrect in your post)*
Whatever it was in reply to it certainly didn't include any references to spelling and grammar or to you or anyone else being dim.
Then you write this "as unlike you, I don't try and undermine the validity of a post by picking out typos and errors instead"
Strikes me that is exactly what you'd done in the first place - or will you deny what is there for all to see.
So in fact you're not quite telling the true story are you?
Do please stick to the facts rather than your very creative imagination.
8
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 1:33am wrote:
Old Bloke isn't The Sot, that's Paul Newman, famous failed Tory candidate for Islington. I think he still gets the party mail out telling him what to write on local forums though, and how to pretend to be a hard working tax payer like you and me. Keep an eye out, those posts are easily spotted.
He doesn't get told how to respond to refutations of obviously flawed logic, that's when he reverts to his default nastiness and ad hominem attacks.
Old Bloke is the same person as Boris, which is why they complement each other on their astute understanding. And why they have the same grammar problems.
 
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 7:31am Merlin Milner wrote:
Tony Benn's tax planning. See link.

Check it out here »
6
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 7:35am Clifford wrote:
SOT wrote:

Definition of SOT in English: A habitual drunkard.
Origin: late Old English sott 'foolish person', from medieval Latin sottus, reinforced by Old French sot 'foolish'. The current sense of the noun dates from the late 16th century.

4
4
On 10 Feb 2015 at 8:24am Mavis wrote:
Get real folks ! Anyone with a Swiss Bank account and is not a Swiss National, or any other off shore bank account, only has that account to avoid tax. Otherwise why not have it in one of the many national banks ? It's been going on for years.
Now, everyone's moaning, oh life is so unfair !
 
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 8:50am Clifford wrote:
Merlin Milner wrote: 'Tony Benn's tax planning. See link.'

I got tired of searching on that page Merlin. Can you supply a more direct link? While I'm waiting I'll count my money.
5
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 8:55am Taxpayer wrote:
Mavis, you have missed the point.
It is about UK Banks assisting/promoting UK tax fraud.
That is unfair, and perhaps unlawful.
It is also about David Cameron chosing to employ and give a Peerage to an HSBC boss, after it became known there was dodginess, (rather like the Andy Coulson affair)
I am not sure why you think that because something has been going on for years we shouldn't moan about it. Does your logic also apply to Murder, Rape, and Theft?
4
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 9:08am wrote:
Life's not fair! Brilliant!
That will surely comfort all the victims of jimmy saville and all the other Tory criminals out there. They should just accept powerful people get an advantage by dint of their wealth.

Have you ever thought of taking up a career in law?
7
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 9:20am Agoniser wrote:
There IS a Lewes link to this story of course - Richard Caring, who withdrew 2.25m in cash from HSBC in Geneva in 2005 and has very close link to Philip Green, owns Bill's.
7
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 10:01am Taxpayer wrote:
Thanks for that interesting nugget of info.
to be renamed
"Avoids Tax Bill's" ?
1
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 10:56am Merlin Milner wrote:
Sorry Clifford. Try this, unless it has been truncated.

Check it out here »
4
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 11:01am david wrote:
What has changed Mavis is that all major parties, banks and multinational companies operating within NATO are seamlessly interchangeable. Not only did Cameron employ Stephen Green and give him a peerage but HMRC'S then Head of Tax, Dave Hartnett, went on to work for HSBC as a 'consultant' after his retirement two years after the data was handed over! However the UK, as USA'S special insider with its 'relaxed' rules is the only state to have totally ignored HSBC's arrogant and morally repugnant business practices. For change to occur we have to think outside the now redundant adversarial political party talk; that only distracts from what is really going on.
4
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 11:25am GhostBike wrote:
Can I point out that the header is incorrect. Tax avoidance is legal - you may make a moral judgement about whoever does it, including those purporting to be left wing. What appears to have happened here is illegal tax evasion. Which is quite a different issue.
2
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 12:43pm Taxpayer wrote:
Yes. Apparently encouraged by a bank, seemingly endorsed by a Tory Peer who now does not want to talk about it. Well he wouldn't would he?
I am more than a little mystified that our Government has not been chasing the big money in the same aggressive and divisive way that it pursues the pennies.
1
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 1:41pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I think that the IR have been chasing business in way that does not involve lengthy and costly legal cases. Although immoral etc., theses businesses and business people have big pockets to delay or stop their requirements to back pay tax. However we must ensure that they cannot do this again, with tighter tax laws, fines and prosecutions. Looking at Tony Benn's inheritance tax issues (see second attachment of mine above) he did what many people do do. Determining what is morally acceptable with relation to tax avoidance is very hard.
3
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 2:21pm bastian wrote:
Why would anyone be suprised at the bare faced audacity of the rich to pull a fast one on the poor and then blame the poor for being lazy. Let's not vote lying, cheating idiots back into parliment, we can't trust them. And I would say, don't vote anyone into parliment that you wouldn't share a bed with..Visualise their faces and read about their personalities then think very carefully about which box you tick
2
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 2:58pm bennite wrote:
So after smearing TB Milner finally provided the link to the Torygraph article which concluded that what he had done was not aggressive tax avoidance just taking practical steps to minimise inheritance tax for his children. Incidentally the labour and Tory parties actually agreed to make what he did (getting his wife to leave some of the ownership of the house to them on her death rather than leave it to him so he had all the assets to leave when he died and a higher liability.)unnecessary as the joint inheritance tax allowances of spouses are now combined. Nice to see Milner qualifying his original post though.
3
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 3:51pm Clifford wrote:
bastian wrote: 'Why would anyone be suprised at the bare faced audacity of the rich to pull a fast one on the poor and then blame the poor for being lazy.'

True, bastian. But what is amazing is the number of useful idiots here (and everywhere) who can be guaranteed to rush to defend the wealthy criminals - fawning idiots identifying with their supposed betters, hoping I suppose for a pat on the head.
5
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 4:15pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Slightly odd point of view that, Merlin, saying that cutting costs is a reason not to prosecute someone for breaking the law. Are there any other laws you'd aplpy that logic to? I mean, should we save money on putting burglars through the courts by letting them declare a figure they reckon they stole and just repay that and carry on as before because that's what basically happened here. HMRC asked people with Swiss bank accounts to voluntarily declare how much tax they swerved then pay it over and that was it. These people had committed a crime that on paper warrants a jail term but instead were faced with a voluntary fine. Hardly a disincentive to either the perpetrators or in fact anyone else that fancied doing it too.

The sooner political parties can be publically funded with a suitably low cap on the maximum funding and politicians can be barred from joining a company they had anything to do with during their time as a politician (So Energy ministers couldn't join oil firms and defence ministers couldn't join arms firms and trasury ministers couldn't join banks) the sooner we get away from government being run for the benefit of the rich above all others. It's not like you can even blame one party over the others, no matter how much Paul would like to as they are all funded by wealthy individuals and businesses looking to buy beneficial legislation and in this respect are all just as bad as each other.
1
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 4:55pm ducatipete wrote:
Works for me been getting away with it for years.
2
2
On 10 Feb 2015 at 5:02pm Old Soak wrote:
Good luck to the fine gentlemen that is not paying their taxis.I know my place.
4
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm Hmmm..... wrote:
Merlin, I appreciate your view is trying to be pragmatic, but try applying it to other anti-social behaviour and crime. You seem to be saying that people who generate income should be exempt from the legal process, because they are too valuable. If they are caught, cash will solve the problem. That certainly is the situation we have. Building an economy based on people like that (and there are plenty of them) is exactly the problem for the rest of us.
1
 
On 10 Feb 2015 at 5:21pm Clifford wrote:
I agree with what you say Ed, but to be fair to Merlin he did say 'we must ensure that they cannot do this again, with tighter tax laws, fines and prosecutions.'

I don't, however, agree with public funding of political parties. They should be completely self-supporting, funded by party members subscriptions and nothing more (and, Yes, that does include the trade unions ending their payments). If the parties are unable to raise a mass membership, so be it. I don't intend to have parties given compulsory backing through my taxes.
2
1
On 10 Feb 2015 at 6:49pm Taxi Driver wrote:
Old Soak... You talkin to me ?
3
 
On 12 Feb 2015 at 9:52am Belladonna wrote:
As I understand it Clifford, every trade union member is (or should be) given the option to opt out of the political levy when they pay their membership fees. The Labour Party was pretty much built on the trade union movement but seem very far from their roots now.
However when we shop or bank at certain corporations we have no way of stopping the money we pay being given in donation to any political party. The only way to register your protest at this is to stop using/buying their products or services and let them know why.
Essentially I agree with you Clifford. Parties funded by membership only and a limit to personal donations. We all know the big donations are rewarded with peerages


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Lewes to Uckfield Line 87:132
Lewes to Uckfield Line

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington
Brighton Jobs