Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

H

On 3 Jul 2017 at 12:03am Nobby wrote:
People who pronounce the letter 'h' as 'haich' as opposed to 'aitch' I instantly assume are divs. Do you agree?
On 3 Jul 2017 at 7:38am Earl of Lewess wrote:
Yes, I think that's a fair conclusion.

On 3 Jul 2017 at 9:32am Wordsworth wrote:
So basically anyone who is using the correct pronunciation is a div, meanwhile people who don't are cool?
Can I "axe" you if you're stupid?
On 3 Jul 2017 at 9:43am Orrible Enry wrote:
Wot the sit is tat about. No h tats wat....
On 3 Jul 2017 at 10:19am Linguist wrote:
It's a regional thing, like not being druv.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 10:48am Gus wrote:
It seems to be the (irritating) fashion to say "haitch" these days, goodness knows why. To me that usage labels the user as a Chav.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 10:57am Wordsworth wrote:
"goodness knows why", it's most likely due to the fact that the letter is pronounced "haitch".
On 3 Jul 2017 at 12:07pm Aitch wrote:
H is spelt 'aitch' in most dictionaries. Therefore it should be pronounced as such.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 12:26pm Earl of Lewesss wrote:
This is from BBC News:
"British English dictionaries give aytch as the standard pronunciation for the letter H. However, the pronunciation haytch is also attested as a legitimate variant. We also do not ask broadcasters who naturally say haytch to change their pronunciation but if a broadcaster contacted to ask us, we would tell them that aytch is regarded as the standard pronunciation in British English, people can feel very strongly about this and this pronunciation is less likely to attract audience complaints.
Haytch is a standard pronunciation in Irish English and is increasingly being used by native English-speaking people all across the country, irrespective of geographical provenance or social standing. Polls have shown that the uptake of haytch by younger native speakers is on the rise. Schoolchildren repeatedly being told not to drop Hs may cause them to hyper-correct and insert them where they don't exist."
The last point reminds me of Parker in Thunderbirds, who'd add unnecessary aitches to try and sound refined: "Milady, I've happre'nded the vehicle..."
On 3 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm Wordsworth wrote:
Ahh yes the BBC that well known custodian of the English language.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 2:26pm Mr. Aitch 1967 wrote:
On TV. remember it ?
On 3 Jul 2017 at 2:40pm 'Enry 'Iggins wrote:
I remember staying at an otel when I was on oliday, it was orrible, the weather was ot and umid.
But that was last year, ow time flies, ey!
On 3 Jul 2017 at 6:32pm Farmer Giles of Hamsey wrote:
Woopert, wichard and worwy were wheely wheely sowwy..
Its posh to wowl.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 6:59pm Watcher wrote:
I was going to ask who would be sad enough to complain to the BBC about the way somebody pronounces the letter H. Then I realised I'd been sad enough to comment on exactly that point......
On 3 Jul 2017 at 9:45pm Twinkle wrote:
Yes, I agree with you completely. I hate people who pronounce H like that. What's wrong with them?
I also hate people who pronounce 'ing' as 'k'.
Somethink, nothink, etc.
On 3 Jul 2017 at 11:22pm Sknob wrote:
It makes my ears bleed but, as with poor grammar, spelling etc, I hate myself for caring about it.
On 4 Jul 2017 at 2:15am King of Sussex wrote:
We’ve been here before - words change over time, hate it all you want but prescription is futile.
‘Ask’ used to be pronounced ‘aks’, even Chaucer used ‘aks’, it was a common pronunciation for hundreds of years more, at least in some dialects.
Imagine how much mental energy has been wasted, around the world, since that proto-Indo/European language first started it’s migration from the Russian steppes.
On 4 Jul 2017 at 7:06am Andymac wrote:
In Northern Ireland, it is an almost infallible way of telling if someone is Protestant or Catholic. Protestants say 'aitch', Catholics 'haitch'. Probably reflects the point made about 'haitch' being Irish English in EoL's quote from BBC above.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

A Lewes Penny 1:132
A Lewes Penny

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today – you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell