Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Gridlock

On 14 Aug 2010 at 1:17pm Spike wrote:
Car drivers - avoid Cliffe if at all possible - Phoenix Causeway bridge only open one way, confusion everywhere, cars three point turning all over the place, no signs, Sat Navs sending people into cul-de-sacs, etc.

On 14 Aug 2010 at 1:27pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I was down there a little while ago. Cars driving through precinct!End of Cliffe, traffic unable to move forward or back. Spoke to a traffic warden who said police informed. It worried me, that around the Bills area,parents were unaware, and children were in road etc. An accident or road rage on the cards.

On 14 Aug 2010 at 1:35pm Lewisian wrote:
Absolute chaos avoid at all costs traffic lights on phoenix causeway taking 20 mins to change

On 14 Aug 2010 at 2:26pm Misery wrote:
Blimey! At this rate Bill will have to bring the tables in!

On 14 Aug 2010 at 3:12pm wrote:
I gave up trying to get into Lewes by the A26. There was a queue all the way to Wellingham Road (half a mile before the Barcombe turn off).

On 15 Aug 2010 at 11:11am Is it... wrote:
As bad today?

On 15 Aug 2010 at 11:49am Jaywalker wrote:
Is that what was causing the diabolical driving I witnessed down the Cliffe yesterday?
Cars driving from Morris Road,turning left,driving at speed down pedestrian cobbles...Over the Old bridge and down to Boots...then going straight up the High Street.
Surely that was the wrong way?

On 15 Aug 2010 at 12:25pm Pedant wrote:
I'm reluctant to defend the Highways Agency and/or the county council but what do you expect them to do when the bridge needs repairing? Leave it?

On 15 Aug 2010 at 12:34pm Pinky Floyd wrote:
Pedant, whilst i agree that the bridge needs repairing, should this not be done on a sunday or even at night ? Seems a bit of a p1$$ take to start at 2pm on friday afternoon.
Does anyone know if the bridge is still closed/one way/traffic lights etc or shall i go shopping at Asda rather than Tesco ?

On 15 Aug 2010 at 1:24pm DIVERSION PIRATE wrote:
YARGH! Look over there!!
How far be the asda? Or is it quicker to just use the A27?
I drove through there at 18:00 on Friday. The signs were up, in preparation, but they hadn't started yet. So 'start at 2pm on friday afternoon' is incorrect.

On 15 Aug 2010 at 1:26pm Is it... wrote:
It didn't start on Friday afternoon, I came home from work at about 3.45 and it wasn't any different from any other day and there wasn't any sign of them statring any work.

On 15 Aug 2010 at 1:40pm Pinky Floyd wrote:
My parents drove through on friday after visiting the air show. They had to go via the bypass because the bridge was closed. This must've been at around 2-2.30pm. On the way home, the bridge was open both ways (about half hour later)
Maybe my dad's getting a bit senile in his old age !!!

On 15 Aug 2010 at 3:19pm Spike wrote:
Pedant, if the bridge needs repairs then of course the work's got to be done.

But they could choose a more suitable time to do it; and more importantly, put some signs up, especially for those unfamiliar with the area - ie. 'DIVERSION'. 'ONE WAY STREET'. 'PEDESTRIANISED AREA'. 'CUL DE SAC'. 'NO THROUGH ROAD'. 'NO ACCESS TO ANYWHERE'. 'FOR LEWES GO THIS WAY!!!'

On 15 Aug 2010 at 5:39pm Driver wrote:
I wanted to cross the river west bound earlier today, but couldn't because the bridge was closed, so I followed the diversion, and I got to where I was going! how bloody brilliant is that. Congratulations to whoever thought of signposting a diversion. Three cheers hip hip..................

On 15 Aug 2010 at 6:19pm Pedant wrote:
You're right about the signs Spike - the 'pedestrian' ones are a joke as well. But I'm not sure when they could do it other than the weekend.

On 15 Aug 2010 at 8:34pm leaf wrote:
spoke to wokmen today they said will be open in the week but same again next weekend.

On 15 Aug 2010 at 8:56pm Charlie Chan wrote:
Were you picking up your takeaway when you spoke to the 'wokmen'?

On 15 Aug 2010 at 9:03pm SIgN READING PirATe wrote:
YARGH!! OIM OBVIOUS PIRATE!!
"spoke to wokmen today they said will be open in the week but same again next weekend."
Yes. Like the signs have said for over a month now: "bridge one-way during weekends in august".

On 16 Aug 2010 at 1:49pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Some people are just too thick to read signs and due to this feel they have to blame everyone else for the fact that they are indeed f__kwits!

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

any keyring? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa