Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Great country pubs nearish to Lewes???

On 14 Jan 2010 at 12:56pm Rachel wrote:
Hi .. we'd like to get out of lewes into the nearby countryside on sunday to visit a lovely country pub.
Any recommendations????
Thanks!!!!! xxxxx

On 14 Jan 2010 at 12:59pm Prick Stein wrote:
The Chalkpit at Offham. Cracking food and very nearly in the country!

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:12pm spongebob wrote:
seconded for the Chalk pit

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:24pm ere be monsters wrote:
They don't mind muddy boots either.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:36pm j.p wrote:
i would say the chalk pit is one of the best pub around for miles

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:45pm Mark wrote:
The Horns Lodge in South Chailey is good for food and beer and very friendly.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:55pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If you want a pub you can walk to, the Trevor at Glynde was always good, although I haven't been over there since the new landlord took over. I also like the Cricketers at Berwick, although that is quite a long walk.
The Yew Tree at Chavington takes a lot of beating if you want a really unspoilt building.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 4:12pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
The Jolly Sportsman in East Chiltington for top quality food and great countryside.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 4:32pm spongebob wrote:
And of course, the Yew tree at Arlington is one of the best around....booking required as it's so popular

On 14 Jan 2010 at 4:39pm Piggles wrote:
The Rose Cottage Inn near Alciston is a nice place. Can stroll to an impressive old tithe barn down the lane as well. Landlord is friendly, atmosphere is cozy.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 4:50pm sashimi wrote:
How about the Cock off the A26 to Uckfield, the Laughing Fish at Isfield and the Giants Rest at Wilmington? The others suggested are all good too. If you walk to the Trevor, check the train times so you can get back without retracing your steps after a good meal.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 5:07pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I agree sashimi, the Cock really takes some beating.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 5:17pm Nemo wrote:
Lowering the tone No Pot Pourri - I really have to hand it to you.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 9:48pm rumple wrote:
1/2 Moon Plumpton. New owners, Great Food. Alpacas. South Downs.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 10:41pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Can't believe no one has mentioned The Ram at Firle. Andyou can go for a walk up the beacon before or after. Booking advisable. And there's the one that reopened recently, but can't remember where it is (KIngston ?), but it's been recommended already by several.

On 15 Jan 2010 at 9:15am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think the Ram is pretentious, overpriced and a bit rubbish. It's all gastropubbish and not like a proper country pub at all. The best I can say for it is that it is still open, unlike so many village pubs, and I suppose we should be thankful for that.
The one that's just reopened is the Abergavenny at Rodmell.

On 15 Jan 2010 at 9:28am sashimi wrote:
ACT, I think you're being a bit harsh about the Ram. Firle is a bit feudal but it is a great village and the pub is really nice. More pub grub than gastro. Rachel should at least have a drink there to see if she likes it.

On 15 Jan 2010 at 9:43am Down and Out wrote:
In an ideal world everyone would boycott the Abergavenny Arms given the relationship between the vile oaf of a landlady and the villagers, but I suspect people will start to go back because there isn't much else around on that side of the river.

On 15 Jan 2010 at 11:10am Chicken chocker wrote:
Have to agree with no pot pourri "The cock takes some beating"
another nice walk to a pub is up the Ouse valley way to the Anchor boating pub, unfortunately its been taken over by an anchor who thinks he owns the river!

On 15 Jan 2010 at 12:10pm FELINE wrote:
What has happened at the Anchor during the winter? Has anyone been recently?

On 15 Jan 2010 at 12:28pm Dave wrote:
No, no one has

On 15 Jan 2010 at 1:13pm Taff wrote:
I remember when the Ram was run by George and Mary Hufflett and a fine establishment it was too. On balance I would say better then than current but time moves on and things must adapt accordingly.
Those ploughmans on a cold saturday lunchtime, complete with toasting fork were the business. Not a piece of garden on the plate except the homemeade pickled onions. And you could still use the dartboard!

On 15 Jan 2010 at 2:58pm MC wrote:
My vote would got to The Griffin at Fletching. Very expensive and fruity accents abound, but charming, good food, great Jazz on sundays, lovely garden and a view out of the back that has to be seen to be believed.
The Anchor has always been very dead in the winter. This winter is no exception.

On 16 Jan 2010 at 5:46am The Beer Monster wrote:
The Abergavenny in Rodmell is not to be missed out & received a really posative review in this January's Viva Lewes.The food is fabulous & reasonably priced, the staff warm & welcoming.The beer 'on tap' when I visited was Harveys Best & Hophead great local brews. A real Traditional Country Pub & only a lovely walk away along the river from Lewes station. The easy way back would be a walk to Southease Station & hop on a train back to Lewes,or if you have stronger legs head up Mill Lane & on to the South Downs way for the hike home.

On 16 Jan 2010 at 5:54am alison wrote:
The Abergavenny in Rodmell gets my thumbs up. I ad the best Roast Sunday Lunch I've ever had in a Pub all home cooked and a huge portion sooo tasty. You'll have to book I expect as the word is out as this Chef can cook. The desserts looked fantastic too www.abergavennyarms.com

On 16 Jan 2010 at 2:54pm Careful shopper wrote:
Any pub owners/staff posing as unbiased customers might want to consider spacing their posts out a bit to be more convincing. Especially if posting when most people not waiting for beer/food deliveries are in bed

On 16 Jan 2010 at 3:56pm BIS wrote:
5:50am - Looks like desperate measures! What has occurred with the new owner and locals out of interest? I used to frequent it regularly about 8-10 years ago and had many a pleasant time there, shame if its gone to pot.

On 16 Jan 2010 at 5:56pm Down and Out wrote:
I can only report what I understand second hand from friends who live in Rodmell but, in short, a property developer bought the pub with the intention of redeveloping the site. She hiked the prices and then deliberately ran the pub into the ground and then closed it without notice, claiming lack of commercial viability. She then got planning permission for three houses in the car park but was (I think) given permission only on condition that the pub stayed a working pub. There's something to do with access to the houses being across the pub access or the like. In the meantime a bunch of locals banded together and offered to buy the pub but she turned them down and also banned them - which was a stupid thing to do as the one thing a local pub needs to survive is locals who drink there 4 nights or more a week. She may now have decided to turn it into a super gastro-pub in the hope of fetching a higher sale price, but I don't really know.

On 17 Jan 2010 at 10:11pm ifordoik wrote:
Perhaps Down and out should pop into The Abergavenny for a meal. We were there today for lunch. Place was buzzing and the food was fabulous. Sounds like Down and Out has a problem with 'She' ??? who ever the landlady is??. Inspite of of all the negative comments 'She' seems to have got it right this time. Lovely atmosphere. We loved it. Thank you.

On 19 Jan 2010 at 5:54pm new rodmell resident wrote:
We have rtecently moved to the village of Rodmell.I was saddened to read the very personal attack posted by Down and Out on 15th January. Rachel was merely asking for recommendations for a lovely country pub, not asking which country pub we should boycott!!. Seems that Down and Out has taken this opportunity to vent his anger toward the landlady because she has built three very pretty cottages in the car park. The pub has reopened under new management, the food is excellent as is the atmosphere and friendly staff. Rachel, ignore the nasty comments. We can highly recommend The Abergavenny. We are thrilled the pub has reopened and we support the landlady and the managing team. Good luck

On 19 Jan 2010 at 10:44pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
The Ram at Firle is a good village pub - our friends who live there say the whole village and the vicar are there most friday nights and in the summer the kids too. The food is excellent (if a bit pricey) and the decor decent. I can also reccomend The Trevor at Glynde - decent 'pub grub' (not gastro), reasonable prices and a great walk over the downs to get to it.

On 23 Jan 2010 at 2:41pm country boy wrote:
It seems the law of entropy invades even a local forum!
I live in Rodmell, have done for nearly 20 years, that'll get em guessing!
The situation at the Abegavenny was a lot more complex than appears to D & O. The persons banned from the pub had become embroiled in a rather acrimonious property dispute thus leaving a very bad taste (excuse the pun) for the proprietor. It was sad to see one of the people, a well liked gentleman in the village, be excluded but it is concluded by some that he had entered very rocky ground.
I have myself been on the receiving end of slander - all of it untrue and basically the ruminations of simple minded people who have nothing better to do than construct another persons character if they can not find it by fair means.
Some of the regulars at the pub, in it's previous incarnations, had been extremely hostile to the proprietor - even thogh she employed them!. Their behaviour was rude and excessively boorish and they were a significant factor in putting off people who visited the pub - so good riddance to them!
If anyone is offended by this post then please add to the forum leaving your e-mail address and I shall discuss this personally. I have nothing to lose - but my reputation (which was made up anyway!)
All the pubs in the area are well worth visiting and a fantastic walk can be experienced getting to them.

On 27 Jan 2010 at 5:14pm Paul Mellor wrote:
Well done to Country Boy for raising the tone of the discussion. I bow to his superior knowledge of the laws of thermodynamics but hope to convert some of the heat into light by concentrating on some facts and correcting some surprising errors in his remarks.
Fact: The four people banned from the Pub are NOT involved in a property dispute - acrimonious or otherwise - with the owner. I don't know where this idea has come from. Perhaps he is confusing it with the Fact that the neighboring property to the Pub benefits from a covenant designed to prevent the commercial development of the car park.
Fact: I am sorry to see that he or she has been on the receiving end of slander. In common with the rest of us one always has recourse to the law. However, I am not sure who is thought to have been slandered or by whom?Could we have a little clarification here,please?
Fact. Everyone has a right to criticise, even when working for someone on a casual basis. I witnessed only one of the bannings which was handed out in response to a flipppant and sarcastic remark. I have witnessed and been on the end of "extreme hostility " as he puts it and - believe me - this wasn't it!
The three people - other than yours truly - are a farmworker, a fisherman and a local roofer who have lived in the village all their lives. They may lack Country Boy's education and refinement and they may occasionally need a firm hand from an experienced Publican to keep them in order. But I would think it a very sad day when Village Pubs become so gentrified they that they cannot accommodate people from different and less privileged backgrounds.
The Fourth Musketeer (me) is a well-known troublemaker who has supported the Abergavenny well enough to be able to spell it. I am delighted it has re-opened and urge everyone to make full use of it, enjoy the excellent food and convivial atmosphere. Villages need pubs - I hope we can all agree on that.
pablomellor@btinternet.com

4 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Is that the Pope 47:143
Is that the Pope

Were the Borough Zulus blacking up last night? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams