Lewes Forum New message

Great British Escapes

On 13 Jul 2009 at 4:52pm Toque wrote:
Lewes in the Granuida.
tinyurl.com/n8d22y

On 13 Jul 2009 at 5:24pm Sam Spam wrote:
coldiz.....

On 14 Jul 2009 at 12:51pm Hotman wrote:
I see Bill's and Seasons are recommended. They are both experiencing problems with what is euphemistically called 'portion control'. The portions at Bill's are getting smaller (though not the prices) and I never went to Seasons again after they gave me a nut roast as a main course on a saucer.

On 15 Jul 2009 at 7:56pm SHS wrote:
Where do you folks find the money to eat out? And as for coffee shops - some people must spend 30 or 40 quid a week (plus most of the day) in these places. Are these the luxuries that working men's taxes pay for? Since the social security system was invented every that was so good about England seems to have deteriorated (patriotism, education, manufacturing, railways, canals, greengrocers.....).

On 16 Jul 2009 at 10:44am Andrew Richardson wrote:
SHS, how do you work out that "working men's taxes" pay for people to go and buy coffee? Where do I sign up to get my latte benefit?

On 16 Jul 2009 at 10:14pm SHS wrote:
It was rather a sweeping statement I admit, based more on conjecture than any detailed database analysis. It does seem however that an ever-diminishing private-sector work force has to work harder and harder to pay higher and higher taxes to (a) pay for an ever-expanding public sector workforce and their associated half-baked projects, and (b) pay over-generous benefits to a small group of people who do not wish to work, so that they can afford luxuries that many working men cannot afford (like lattes in coffee bars).

On 16 Jul 2009 at 10:28pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Well said SHS.
I have met many people who choose to live on benefits - some of the experienced benefit bludgers claim in excess of £800 pcm (and housing benefit and council tax benefit too) AND they have the cheek and audacity to whinge about not having enough disposable income.

On 17 Jul 2009 at 9:41am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
The benefit system needs an urgent overhaul. Everyone I know that has claimed some sort of benefit over the last few years got a derisory amount to live on, though some as Spinster says do very out of doing nothing. The problem is, if you pay people to be 'poor', then you will never run out of poor people.

On 17 Jul 2009 at 10:23am Andrew Richardson wrote:
So if someone can afford something you can't, they must obviously be stealing your tax money or be in a public sector job you see as unworthy? It could be that they just earn more than you.
I agree about the benefits system needing to be looked at. It can't be right that people actually lose money by going back to work. And there's definitely something wrong when 95% of the jobs in the paper are for the public sector, but that doesn't mean that everybody with a bit of disposable income is feeding off the working class heroes.

On 17 Jul 2009 at 2:08pm Hotman wrote:
Andrew Richardson wrote: 'I agree about the benefits system needing to be looked at. It can't be right that people actually lose money by going back to work.'
Yes, it means wages are too low because the interests of shareholders are being put before the interests of workers.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

Hello. I was also recently looking for the perfect place for a photo shoot. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell