Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Grange

On 8 Oct 2012 at 4:25pm steve watts wrote:
The Grange to be sold ! Surely not ?

On 8 Oct 2012 at 4:55pm Rookie wrote:
It must be all your fault.
On 8 Oct 2012 at 5:11pm Davina Recall wrote:
Phoenix walking with Southover ! Surely not ?
On 8 Oct 2012 at 5:13pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Maybe they'll sell it to someone who doesn't object to people playing ball games and jumping over the stream and people will have a reason to go in there again. What do fifteeen year olds do in Lewes these days now they can't get drunk and kick a ball about in the Grange?

On 8 Oct 2012 at 5:31pm Sussex Jim wrote:
They shag.

On 8 Oct 2012 at 5:44pm Dave wrote:
How about the 15 year olds walking 200 yards further to the vast area of green playing fields from the convent field through to Stanley Turner. They could kick balls to their hearts content without wrecking flowerbeds, intimidating toddlers and others enjoying the quiet of the Grange gardens.
Lewes has huge areas of playing fields, far more than any other town in the area, usually with no one using them except at weekends.

On 8 Oct 2012 at 6:47pm Paul wrote:
Its the house for sale not the gardens.

On 8 Oct 2012 at 7:40pm High Dudgeon wrote:
Is this Lewes District Council again? Are they bent on getting rid of any reasonably sized venue in town that might be hired for an event? I see from the Sussex Express that St Mary's is on their hitlist - a list that they obviously didn't want anyone to see. Bit like the rec in Newhaven it seems.

On 8 Oct 2012 at 10:58pm the old mayor wrote:
Where ever you look in Lewes - its owned by the bloody council !!

On 8 Oct 2012 at 11:54pm Dave wrote:
They are moving the Register Office down to North Street, now there's a proper romantic setting for your wedding photos!

On 8 Oct 2012 at 11:56pm boggles wrote:
But ceremonies will take place in the Council Chamber at Lewes Town Hall, I'm told

On 9 Oct 2012 at 7:40am Clifford wrote:
Next move: sell out the town to a developer who promises to build a cinema.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 8:35am Norman wrote:
Clifford, surely not the same same developer as currently 'leads' Lewes District Council? That would be immoral surely?

Check it out here »

On 9 Oct 2012 at 9:05am Pete wrote:
Yeah, let's sell ALL of Lewes to developers so that we can have a new BlueWater shopping centre......

On 9 Oct 2012 at 9:08am Pete wrote:
....and then we can have a huge bonfire and burn it all down so that Lewes can be reborn from the ashes.....just like the phoenix I suppose

On 9 Oct 2012 at 10:42am Harry Mount wrote:
Norman - it looks like you are correct, it appears to be the same bloke running Lewes District Council and the property company buying up significant town assets. If so, isn't this a massive conflict of interest? I may be naive, but I would have thought that in order to be able to be seen to discharge their duties in an impartial manner, such a person would need to either give up one job or the other.
I wonder if this is in Private Eye yet?
This is from the LDC website:

Check it out here »

On 9 Oct 2012 at 11:12am Southover Queen wrote:
I can't believe that even LDC would be quite so open about not keeping such transactions at arms length. I would have thought it was already pretty risky for Page to run a property development company in the same district as that covered by the council he leads; surely there is no proof he's buying up the assets? Anyone?
On 9 Oct 2012 at 12:21pm otd wrote:
as long as they take down that temporary wooden fence around the stream they have my backing - how long has it been there??!!! looks awful

On 9 Oct 2012 at 12:50pm Harry Mount wrote:
Southover Queen - just to be clear, I was only saying that the leader of LDC and the property company appear to be the same person - I don't have any information that they are indeed buying the Grange or even if it is being sold...

On 9 Oct 2012 at 1:40pm Clifford wrote:
I imagine that down at the Sussex Express they're waiting for a press release from LDC to tell them how to spin it.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 1:43pm Clifford wrote:
Harry Mount: Private Eye's e-mail address attached.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 1:45pm Grange Lover wrote:
Just to be clear - is the Leader of Lewes District Council, Jame Page the same as this one from Companies House:
PAGE, JAMES VICTOR SCOTT LLP DESIGNATED MEMBER
xx HIGHVIEW ROAD
TELSCOMBE CLIFFS
PEACEHAVEN
BN10 7AJ
(I deleted the house no, but it is freely available at Companies House)

On 9 Oct 2012 at 1:50pm Grange Lover wrote:
Also, just to be clear is this the same person who sold about 10 Hectares of Recreation Ground in Newhaven at what seems like Agricultural prices to some overseas company?

On 9 Oct 2012 at 2:03pm Southover Queen wrote:
Grange Lover: yes, it is. The Leader of LDC has the same name and address, so it's a fair assumption. (See link)

And yes to the second question too, I think.

However, unless that same Mr Page is feeling completely untouchable the sale of LDC land will not be traceable in any way to his company. That would be political suicide given that Private Eye and others are already sniffing around his behaviour in office.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 2:04pm Southover Queen wrote:
Sorry: forgot the link!

Check it out here »

On 9 Oct 2012 at 2:27pm Grange Lover wrote:
Thanks Southover Queen. A Mandy Page also lives at that address
who seems to have a few appointments:
:Name: MANDY JULIA PAGE
LLP Appointments: Current: 6 / Resigned: 0
SECRETARY Appointed: 01/06/2004
Company Number: 05116805
Company Name: FILECOIN LIMITED
Active

SECRETARY Appointed: 26/09/2007
Company Number: 06382398
Company Name: PAGE CONSULTING NORTH LIMITED
Active

SECRETARY Appointed: 26/09/2007
Company Number: 06382454
Company Name: PAGE CONSULTING SOUTH LIMITED
Active

LLP DESIGNATED MEMBER Appointed: 26/09/2007

LLP Registered No. OC331697
LLP Name: THE CONSULTING GROUP (UK) LLP

LLP DESIGNATED MEMBER Appointed: 02/11/2007

LLP Registered No. OC332572
LLP Name: PAGE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT LLP

DIRECTOR Appointed: 01/06/2004
Company Number: 05116805
Company Name: FILECOIN LIMITED
Active

SECRETARY Appointed: 05/04/1997
Dissolved: 18/11/2003
Company Number: 03345399
Company Name: RUSHGATE CONSULTANTS LIMITED
Dissolved

DIRECTOR Appointed: 05/04/1997
Dissolved: 18/11/2003
Company Number: 03345399
Company Name: RUSHGATE CONSULTANTS LIMITED
Dissolved

On 9 Oct 2012 at 3:42pm Southover Queen wrote:
Again, a fair assumption would be that Mandy Page is his wife. It's very common for small companies to appoint family members are directors, and from the look of the directors associated with the half dozen or so companies registered to Mr Page that's the case here. None of them seems to be turning over much in the way of business, unless I'm missing something - Filecoin (listed variously as "builders" and "estate agents") had a turnover of less than £100k last year.

I must say I'm still intrigued that LDC appears to be run by a star chamber of two (Mr Page and the CEO) and is disposing of a lot of property assets owned by the council when that same Mr Page's main business seems to be in building and estate agency. It does feel quite, how can I put it, open to malicious speculation.
On 9 Oct 2012 at 5:11pm Concerned wrote:
However...
I think we should remember that, although the leader of LDC does appear to have interests in several companies, including property development companies, he has declared those interests on the LDC website; nobody above has produced evidence that any of his companies are involved in connection with a possible Grange sell-off or that he has done anything wrong in this respect.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 5:29pm Southover Queen wrote:
Indeed, concerned. That's why I'm so wary of rushing to judgment. However I do think the way that Mr Page runs the council, with little meaningful consultation either of residents or - by all accounts - councillors leaves him open to being regarded with considerable suspicion. In particular the sale of the Newhaven plot feels really dodgy. Perhaps it isn't, but it's extremely hard to judge because there is no transparency whatsoever.

On 9 Oct 2012 at 5:29pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm sure his contacts, experience etc in the proper development field are sued* solely for the benefit of the residents of Lewes District.
The flypast of Gloucester Old Spots will take place at noon tomorrow, weather permitting.
*This should, of course, have read "used" but it made me laugh, so I left it in.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 12:32pm CLOWESIE wrote:
Where can I object to the council selling of the Grange Building? Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

On 11 Oct 2012 at 5:23pm LDC worker wrote:
I wasn't aware they were. However, some of the other buildings will be sold, to save money in the long term.

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals 59:132
Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell