Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Government waste

On 22 May 2017 at 4:47pm Not happy wrote:
I was amused when I read the story about Kwikfit calling for legal tyre minimum tread depth to be changed to 3mm, apparently spurred on as the emergency services all replace their tyres at depth of between 2.6 and 3mm.
I just loved the response from Michelin, who said it was complexly unnecessary and that the current legal limit is fine for water displacement and that worn tyres are better than new tyres for rolling resistance (fuel economy).
It got me thinking what other things do the authorities change unnecessarily, funny how there's a desperate resource shortage, but yet they throw money away carelessly.
On 22 May 2017 at 8:46pm Buzzard wrote:
Kwikfit isn't actually the Government, you know. It's just a business trying to talk up extra work for itself. So you should have titled it "business waste". There's a lot of it about.
On 22 May 2017 at 10:33pm But wrote:
Buzzard - it's not Kwikfit who authorise it
On 22 May 2017 at 11:35pm You must be Dopey Then. wrote:
What the hell would Michelin know about the stresses on emergency service tyres.. Heavy weighted, running over all sorts of terain,chemical damage from car crashes ect,I would prefer to be on the safe side with life saving vehicles and have a higher standard than the rest .BTW tread is not the only factor on tyres, age is a real problem too.

On 23 May 2017 at 6:53am M. Bibendum wrote:
I lol @ vous petit Anglais
On 23 May 2017 at 7:21am Not happy wrote:
Michelin know a lot more about the stresses on tyres than an of the emergency services do, after all they make the damn tyres of the vehicles. They were fairly critical about it and called it a waste of money for the consumer. Which got me thinking what are the emergency services changing their tyres a year earlier than they need to.
On 23 May 2017 at 6:29pm Bibendum's Foot wrote:
What the hell would Michelin know about the stresses on emergency service tyres.. Heavy weighted, running over all sorts of terain,chemical damage from car crashes ect,I would prefer to be on the safe side with life saving vehicles and have a higher standard than the rest .BTW tread is not the only factor on tyres, age is a real problem too.
Every ambulance authority in the UK currently uses Michelin on their ambulances, patient transport vehicles and rapid response cars but have the option to use any brand they wish. These are purchased through the CCS framework (Crown Commercial Service) at a set price that's negotiated at government level - these prices are aviable to all public organisation.
Michelin will work closely with the emergency services and run product testing under extreme conditions to reflect real world situation ambulances that give the drivers confidence in the product. Yes they remove their tyres at approx 3mm, this is only done because of ambulances servicing intervals - if they are not due to see the ambulance for 10k at the next service they will change the tyres then and their. Remember An ambulance is only effective when it's used in anger - that's the reasoning behind changing slightly earlier.
A normal car user will not be regularly driving in blue light situations and hence 1.6mm is Michelin recommendation - you paid for the product - might as well use it, note this is for their own product which they know inside out. Kwik Fit are only throwing this 3mm idea into the mix To increase their profits!
I would rather brake in the wet on a premium tyre at 2mm than a new Chinese budget at 6mm - you get what you pay for - plus I've done numerous tests on test tracks with tyres and you have to trust me on this!
Footnote: Recently (2015 ish) SECAMB outsourced their patient transport fleet (these run you back from hospital etc ) the deal all went wrong and they took over operations from a private company very quickly. I understand the fleet came back with Chinese budget tyres with very poor product performance ( braking distance extended by 20m -30m + in wet and dry conditions) these were only fitted as they were dirt cheap and wore out very quickly - no interest in driver or patient safety - only someone increasing their profits.

On 23 May 2017 at 9:23pm Yuk Fu Tire co. wrote:
We lol @ you pale english end of the bells.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine