Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Goodbye Post Office

On 21 Jan 2016 at 2:46pm mart wrote:
Back to Smiths?, Wasn't it in there before?

Check it out here »
On 21 Jan 2016 at 3:27pm Celine wrote:
I wonder if the ones earmarked for the change are in particularly valuable properties?
On 21 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm trooper wrote:
@mart, Yes you are correct there was a Post Office in WH Smiths and the company requested it be removed to give them more retail space and they were not happy with the number of people who only came to use the PO and made no other purchases,also there were at times long ques which they felt interfered with the shops core business.
This information came from the Area Retail Manager at that time.I am not sure they will want to see it back
.@celine, I agree with you, the present PO building must be worth a fortune to a developer.
On 21 Jan 2016 at 4:51pm Pat wrote:
I'm retired now so me and Jess don't care.
On 21 Jan 2016 at 6:01pm Jeff wrote:
Long queues? In WH Smiths?Surely not!
On 21 Jan 2016 at 7:03pm Mr Ryder wrote:
Sadly the real culprit behind the destruction of our national assets is largely unknown to the general public and has been in motion since the early 90's.
Among other things listed on the EU website is under Postal Directive 97/67/EC and the line: 'fully opens the sector to competition' and 'ensuring that fair conditions for competition exist'
EU doublespeak for privatisation, there to see for those who open their eyes.
interesting article on this below:

Check it out here »
On 21 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm Mrs. Goggins wrote:
Pat, you are awful !
On 21 Jan 2016 at 7:23pm Historian wrote:
Be surprised if anyone actually took up the offer of running a Post Office franchise anymore, maybe a charity chain shop, and there is enough of them to choose from.
On 21 Jan 2016 at 7:39pm Gary wrote:
A post office is a vital asset to any community.
Kind regards,
Gary
On 22 Jan 2016 at 12:16am bob wrote:
Don't know if you heard but we have tinternet instead now.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 7:52am Realist wrote:
So why are people queuing out into the street?
On 22 Jan 2016 at 9:18am observer wrote:
It's asset stripping pure and simple.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 10:09am overton wrote:
Since car tax went online I haven't been in a post office. Am I missing something?
On 22 Jan 2016 at 11:39am White van man wrote:
Rotflmfao whilst rubbing hands together ,
On 22 Jan 2016 at 1:28pm lewes Lady wrote:
Realist - because the staff move slower than a glacier, and they also take ages trying to sell you extra stuff / services that you don't want or need.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm Celine wrote:
I have to agree with you Lewes Lady. I dread going in there and having to run the gauntlet of questions about what's in my parcel (so they can charge you more for insurance or even to tell you they can't send it if it's got something like shower gel in it!). Following that you get the hard sell for services you don't want. Suppose I need to find another parcel delivery service. Groan.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 2:59pm Mr Ryder wrote:
lewes lady: Surely this is the point, if they weren't being privatised then they probably wouldn't of started this hard selling for more profit. In any case they are just doing their job so don't be so judgemental.
I found the staff very pleasant and un-glacial
On 22 Jan 2016 at 3:48pm DHL wrote:
Antiquated Post Offices have no place in the modern world. Every service they provide can be delivered elsewhere and better too. It won't be missed.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 4:00pm bastian wrote:
So none of you are old and having trouble using the internet then-have some compassion for the multitude of older people who need the post office to do all sorts of transactions that you do online, and the many people who cannot afford the internet at home.
On 22 Jan 2016 at 6:38pm Pedant wrote:
@Mr Ryder It's 'wouldn't have' NOT 'wouldn't of' - groan...
On 22 Jan 2016 at 9:17pm Pedant wrote:
@Pedant all-capitals is considered poor etiquette dear, do you often shout at people in normal conversation?
On 22 Jan 2016 at 11:51pm Pendant wrote:
I'm just hanging around.

On 23 Jan 2016 at 10:42am Mavis wrote:
Why does the post office need 1m premises ?
they could get by in much more cost effective space.
On 23 Jan 2016 at 12:55pm Jane S wrote:
I've fortunately always had a much better experience than poor @Celine - very competent staff immediately telling me the various parcel options and suggesting the best-value one, no hard selling, all highly professional. I don't go there often, but if it closed altogether a lot of us would be stuck when need strikes. There's always a queue - which I regard as a good thing as it shows that there's a demand for it.
Foreign currency is best rate around too; if the operation moves to a newsagent that might not change but they're unlikely to have good stocks of currency on demand.
But it would be good if a local shop could take it on - a travel agent? (though I hear that Lewes Travel is closing) Independent bookshop? Cafe? Bunce? Or if a chain, Clarke's the stationers? Someone starting up in the creamery shop? ...........
On 23 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm lewes Lady wrote:
Absolutely Celine. I delight in dreaming up embarrassing contents when they ask me what's in every parcel I take in. I told the spotty teenage boy who works there that one package contained 'an intimate toy for my recently divorced daughter' - he went a marvellous shade of red!
By the way, why they've decided they won't take batteries any more is beyond me. I can't imagine terrorists would own up to that if questioned.

On 23 Jan 2016 at 9:10pm Jane S wrote:
Yes, true, @lewes lady, that they're told to ask about batteries, but it's not the local staff's fault. I went in a while ago to send a faulty new laptop back as directed, as the battery wouldn't charge; the member of staff asked whether it had a battery and I explained that the manufacturers had told me that I'd invalidate the warranty if I removed the battery, and that the battery connnection was actually the issue, and she and I exchanged 'What can you do?' looks and she grinned and took the parcel. It's very hard for them to get directives from on high and to have to tell customers who then mock them.
Let's hope that the people there manage to find jobs. The Post Office should have woken up decades ago to being an all-purpose provider of every possible service to communities, but they were fast asleep.......
On 23 Jan 2016 at 10:05pm local wrote:
@lewes lady the only embarrassing thing here is the content of your character.
Leave them them alone you spiteful snob
On 23 Jan 2016 at 10:35pm Paul wrote:
Good stuff. I voted Tory to get rid of stuff like post offices. Let the market decide. Get rid of job centres next - absolutely no point to them. I would even think about the police - private security could do most of what they do.

On 24 Jan 2016 at 10:15am Jack wrote:
I voted Conservative too so that I could get even richer. I was down to nearly my last million.

On 24 Jan 2016 at 10:46am and Danny wrote:
Lots of them on the forum

On 24 Jan 2016 at 3:15pm Baxter Bredons wrote:
WH Smith also own the double frontaged Sussex Stationers which looks quieter since the other stationers have opened up in the precinct. Open the door again of the lower part of the shop for the PO ?
On 24 Jan 2016 at 5:12pm trooper wrote:
@Baxter Bredons. I have a suspicion that you and others have little or no idea of the bureaucracy required by the Post Office counters, it leaves both the French and the Indians in the shade. At the end of the day it means that you the holder of the franchise are RESPONSIBLE for EVERYTHiNG, the PO counters do NOT in any way assist you or offer any direction, If you ask for help thy will ignore you.
How do I know , I have friends in a village in Dorset who thought they would add to the amenities of a remote vlillage. It left them horrified after meeting with the Post office representatives. It seems their view was that once you have signed the documents we do not want to know you.
So good luck Lewes in finding someone to take on the franchise.
Bye the way not to mention the cost,several thousand pounds.

On 24 Jan 2016 at 7:33pm JillG wrote:
Another option is the Glynde PO - also worth supporting

On 27 Jan 2016 at 9:25pm Rachel wrote:
I can not believe some of the comments I am reading on here post office staff have to do there job if it means asking what's inside your parcel so be it its obviously for a reason and not to be nosey if there letting you know about a product its to keep the post office running if there asking you about what service u need its so your covered I sent a parcel once unfortunately it did not get delivered but because I didn't pay for the correct service I lost out but they adviced me so my fault I find them polite and fast and hard working will be a shame to see them go and jobs lost

On 29 Jan 2016 at 2:35pm Scottishmale wrote:
Lets hope the main post office demise in Lewes and the chosen venue for the new one wont mirror the Ringmer PO, when it first moved to in-house-co-op all was fine, now in Ringmer you get one customer sending 9 parcels at a time recorded, just watch the queue build from 2 to 8 or 9. Either way the new outlet will have to be easier than of present for ease of parking.

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street 50:132
Keere Street

Ram Cock Inn Green Man. Filling! :-x more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell