Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

God

On 4 Aug 2018 at 9:12pm Smahedcrabface wrote:
Off the back of another thread, but I've noticed on Sundays that there is a sizeable proportion of lewesians at the various churches or other places of worship.
I've always thought of lewes and the south east in general as an affluent educated secular part of the world.
So I guess my question is ... those of you who worship on a Sunday or Friday ... do you really believe, or is it more like a social club and the god aspect is a little bit embarrassing for you
Sort of like morris dancers .. keeping the tradition going but knowing that the sun will rise regardless
On 4 Aug 2018 at 9:57pm God wrote:
I am a figment of their imagination.
On 4 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm Hand wrote:
Social club, business meeting, dating group, secret ceremony, bank, kitchen, social services, war chest, where house, gay club.........I could go on. Churches are exclusive clubs, the God bit is made up to disguise this and to keep it all under control. It's a good business model and if you look around you may notice that some of these groups have done alright for themselves. But your clearly thick and can't can't work this sham out for yourself.
On 4 Aug 2018 at 10:27pm smashedcrabface wrote:
yeah, but no, but ... hey i don't believe in god, but i actually find it harder to believe that these people who flock to churches every sunday actually DO believe in a god. Yes it;s a sham. i just can;t work out if they actually believe in the bull poo, or if they are like the inner party of 1984 ... able to both believe and disbelieve at the same time. and if that;s the case ... then what are they gaining from it?
On 5 Aug 2018 at 1:48am Believer? wrote:
First of all you have to be able to cope with being laughed at. It's not that bad really. Obviously some people will not want to be associated with anyone who goes to church.
There are a surprising number of doctors, lawyers, engineers, university lecturers and civil servants who attend church in Lewes. I don't think they are all gullible morons or self deluding fantasists.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 3:03am Fairmeadow wrote:
Not much point in asking on this forum. Why don't you visit and find out? I'd suggest you try King's or one of the Trinity congregations.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 7:10am God wrote:
What would I find out if I visited one of the laughable number of churches, moques, synagogues, temples etc with all their contradictory exclusive stories, curses and punishments, Fairmeadow?
On 5 Aug 2018 at 7:26am Spellist wrote:
What's a mogue?
On 5 Aug 2018 at 7:32am same as a wrote:
moque and a where house but I know not ware they are situated.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 8:00am Dave Allen wrote:
may your god go with you
On 5 Aug 2018 at 8:29am The Anti wrote:
I see many more other places of worship. Those oblong flickering shrines on almost every lounge and bedroom wall in Lewes.
There is where the masses worship the dumbest of all society and and yearn for the most pointless trinkets to make them feel better for a fleeting moment.
Also those flickering screens in every hand where people stare in hope of a fix of affirmation as they ignore the real people who matter who are sat next to them.
I am the one who is winning as you all become so insular and desperately needy and depressed.
Less people worship god than those who worship themselves.
MWAHAHAHAHAHA
On 5 Aug 2018 at 9:10am Patience wrote:
I'm no Christian but I'd rather hang out with people who try to do good and be kind than the miserable, twisted, bitter folk who spend their time slagging off others on forums and being generally anti - kindness, anti - good, anti - generous and mean spirited because it makes them look like a little won't be druv, anti- establishment Harvey swilling rebel.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 9:46am Green Sleeves wrote:
Being judgemental over people worshiping via a religion seems a bit of a pointless exercise. I don't personally attend church because I've never bought into religion and it never made sense to me, but for those that get some degree of meaning from it all (and positive well-being and enjoyment), then have at it. If it doesn't harm anyone else, then I don't see the issue.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 10:09am Platonist/holy fool wrote:
Why is Lewes a holy place?
If you know Phil the Druid he will say the tump was there long before christianity came to town.
Lewes may have its own sacred landscape, the surrounding hills display ancient burial mounds and chalk figures.
The oldest Templar Church in England was in Albion Street, roughly where the old library was.
Thomas Beckett Church was connected with pilgrimage to his shrine in Canterbury. Obviously we are more familiar with the Marian martyrs and civil war dissenters and Paine but this place has a rich spiritual history.
Of course Sam Harris wouldn't find it terribly interesting.....
On 5 Aug 2018 at 1:32pm And did those feet ?.... wrote:
er, No.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Martyrs 75:143
Lewes Martyrs

Have you paid to advertise this? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine